Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:06 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times

Advertisements

You better take that cat for a test drive before you bring one home. When it comes to bug huntin' mine is useless and they know. Lucky for him he's adorable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 03:35 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
You better take that cat for a test drive before you bring one home. When it comes to bug huntin' mine is useless and they know. Lucky for him he's adorable.
A couple years back I had waterbugs show up all of a sudden. The dog and cat teamed up to kill them: cat caught and immobilized them, then dog killed them and broke them apart, AND if I didn't intervene both of them ATE the bug ... YECH! Thankfully the waterbugs didn't last long.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:07 PM

33 posts, read 88,563 times
Just wanted to point out that my sister and dad live in Westchester in two separate areas and they deal with roaches, spiders, sliverfish and mice... I live in Brooklyn, small one bedroom... and (thank God) don't have that problem...but I also have two cats.

My sister lives in a fairly new building, while my dad lives in an older building. My sister has neighbors that leave their garbage bags outside their door. I don't know much about my dad's neighbors.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:18 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I would think that a newer construction bldg would have less chance of roach problems because of fewer possible cracks between floor boards, small leaks (roaches like moisture) etc.

Also pay attention to how the areas of the bldg such as the basement are kept. If they seem spotless, this is a good indication that there might be less chance of roaches.

And, I said this in another thread - the bugs people need to be concerned about these days are bedbugs, not roaches.
Newer or New Construction is the only way to avoid this but of course you are going to pay dearly for this finanically as newer construction can end up renting for double in some instances as compared to a similar apartment that is much older.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:54 PM

172 posts, read 475,893 times
Well, some people might think making 100K-plus at 30 represents an awfully big chunk of good fortune! And that such a person should also get to pay some dues, accept their share of suffering, etc., which one surely would get the chance to do in NYC. No way to live an antiseptic, hermetically sealed life here. Maybe that's possible in Toronto ... folks always come back saying one thing, "It's sooo clean." But never anything else!

Last edited by keith talent; 06-11-2008 at 09:03 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 11:21 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeViper01 View Post
Newer or New Construction is the only way to avoid this
New/er construction means nothing, vermin-wise. A condo went up in my neighborhood about 12-15 years ago. Residents include a partner in the building's development firm and a number of well-known names, including Regis Philbin, Natasha Richardson & Liam Neeson, and Jon Bon Jovi. The first buyers were greeted by neighbors of the four- and six-legged variety who had moved in before them.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,121 times
Default I can't imagine...

not living in Manhattan because of fear of roaches, mice, etc. I live in an 1890 walk-up and used to have a roach problem but haven't seen any since 2000 when the exterminators starting using a gel formula that gets rid of them. My building is not rich at all but have a sign up sheet for an exterminator that comes once a month. Most people don't sign up.

I also recommend having a cat or two. Only time I ever had a mouse was when the building across the street was gutted to make a high school. I didn't see it, but I heard squeaks when one of my cats caught it and didn't leave any remains. Ugh!!! I don't like mice either (inside my dwelling).

Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
never saw roaches( or mice) in my apt on 15th street.

ok, i saw one dead roach in 4 yrs... and we lived like slobs

Old 06-12-2008, 07:29 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
As we say in this corner of the world, hey, you never know! I live in a large apartment house on Ocean Parkway, and there aren't any roaches or mice in my building. The occasional silverfish, but they just don't seem as disgusting as roaches!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:55 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
I've also never seen roaches in my pre-war building....or, before that, in the post-war building in which I lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City