Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 01:53 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thazsomean View Post
^^

By diverse I meant the J.Heights/Corona/Elmhurst/Woodside areas. To put it simply - I'm trying to stay away from part of my own ethnic background. The other part I want to be more close to. Don't know if that really makes sense, but that's what I'm seeking.
What part do you want to be close to and what part away from
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 01:55 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
And from parts of Briarwood you might find it to be walking distance to the Jamaica LIRR station.
Briarwood has some steep streets that lead down to Hillside Avenue. I used to walk down from Briarwood to Jamaica station but walking back up is a bit harder.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:22 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Briarwood has some steep streets that lead down to Hillside Avenue. I used to walk down from Briarwood to Jamaica station but walking back up is a bit harder.
I know all about that hill. Its part of the same hill that I used to hike up from the J train in Woodhaven to get home in Glendale. At least its good exercise.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:23 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
^^

By diverse I meant the J.Heights/Corona/Elmhurst/Woodside areas. To put it simply - I'm trying to stay away from part of my own ethnic background. The other part I want to be more close to. Don't know if that really makes sense, but that's what I'm seeking.
Corona isn't very diverse. Elmhurst kind of is, but not really. I'd say that Jackson Heights and Woodside are.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:43 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I know all about that hill. Its part of the same hill that I used to hike up from the J train in Woodhaven to get home in Glendale. At least its good exercise.
I lived in Woodhaven too. I was near 76th street which was very steep up to Park Lane South. I think the streets in Briarwood (143rd & 144th if I remember correctly) may be some of the steepest in Queens.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
^^

I work in Mineola, currently. That's along Port Jeff lines (very rarely Ronk goes there). QV would be ridiculous because it's an hour wait between trains based upon MTA train schedules/time frames.
FWIW, QV has buses run by Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE). The N24 runs along Jericho Turnpike, and the N22/22A/22L/22X run along Hillside Avenue. Both go to Mineola. They're somewhat unreliable, but I can't imagine they'd be too terrible.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,304 times
Being honest with you I just looked over this page cuz I was bored looked uo corona queens on google but I've been living in this hood for years I can tell you wat goes on here cuz I seen a lot I been in a lot in this hood 108 and 111 used to be wayyy worse I used to see ppl get hit with saws or machetes in the back of the head like three years ago but now its all gone down for some reason a lot of ppl past away cuz of gang violence and there is a great amount of gang violence out just that half or the majority try to keep it a secret the old guy in your corner store can be a twenty ear long gang affiliate I know ppl like that Lol but yeah all I can say is if u have a child that's over ten keep him off the streets especially if u white and out in the street past midnight there's like a bunch of prostitutes and rapists and gang movements I've seen the weirdest most violent stuff happen in this hood especially on Roosevelt ave, corona ave , 108street etc. Like just be cool with everyone don't start anythug and they'll be aii with you just saying from my perpective

Old 01-18-2016, 11:37 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmolly108 View Post
Being honest with you I just looked over this page cuz I was bored looked uo corona queens on google but I've been living in this hood for years I can tell you wat goes on here cuz I seen a lot I been in a lot in this hood 108 and 111 used to be wayyy worse I used to see ppl get hit with saws or machetes in the back of the head like three years ago but now its all gone down for some reason a lot of ppl past away cuz of gang violence and there is a great amount of gang violence out just that half or the majority try to keep it a secret the old guy in your corner store can be a twenty ear long gang affiliate I know ppl like that Lol but yeah all I can say is if u have a child that's over ten keep him off the streets especially if u white and out in the street past midnight there's like a bunch of prostitutes and rapists and gang movements I've seen the weirdest most violent stuff happen in this hood especially on Roosevelt ave, corona ave , 108street etc. Like just be cool with everyone don't start anythug and they'll be aii with you just saying from my perpective
I think you're exaggerating just a bit, the entire 110th precinct only had 1 murder for all of last year

Old 01-18-2016, 11:39 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This is horse****.

The area has a huge, poor immigrant population that's not going anywhere . Williamsburg took off because it was just a stop or two from Manhattan on the L, J, and M trains. Corona's quite a bit further.

And if areas closer to Manhattan in Queens, like Sunnyside, Woodside, and Jackson Heights have not become Williamsburg, I failed to see how a neighborhood further away will.
lol you almost did a complete 180

Old 10-24-2017, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,555 times
How safe is the Lower East Side? Anyone lived there before? I heard that the rents have gone up. Is this true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City