Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 11:45 PM

4 posts, read 127,725 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

I'm gonna be visiting the Washington Heights area in May, and have heard such diverse opinions, ranging from:

"Washington Heights is super dangerous!!" to "Washington Heights is very lovely!"

Being from the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area I know, it's just not that easy to proclaim. One block can be relatively safe & nice, while 2 blocks away, can be hell incarnate. Specifically, I'll be staying at Wadsworth & 188th.

I'd really like to hear from anyone who actually KNOWS the area, and not some racist who's Mommy told them never to venture into Harlem and beyond!

Thanks!

Last edited by snafu714; 04-15-2007 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: Title change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 12:13 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,331,995 times
I think your opinion will largely depend on where you are coming from. The area that you mentioned is predominantly Dominican. Most Dominicans in the area live east of Broadway, while white people in the area live literally 2-3 blocks away to the west of Broadway. Most of the white people in neighboring Hudson Heights are German Jews who flew to the neighborhood during or after WWII. There is also a large number of people from Broadway (the theater, not the street) who live there because of the cheap rents.

Personally I find the white neighborhood, Hudson Heights, to be more boring compared to the Dominican neighborhood of Washington Heights, however if I had to live there I'd probably pick Hudson Heights.

Take a look here: http://nymag.com/realestate/articles...sonheights.htm

Old 04-16-2007, 12:22 AM

I am white, and have no problems with the area being largely Dominican.

I just want to know if the neighborhood is generally safe or not.

Thanks for your quick response!

Old 04-16-2007, 05:21 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,852,226 times
The German Jews are long gone from Washington Heights. I know, because that's exactly where both sides of our family lived after getting to NY. My 113 year old great aunt was one of the last in her building. The neighborhood is predominantly Dominican (I went to medical school there in the 80s and it was completely Dominican then), but is changing a little.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:54 AM

359 posts, read 2,588,326 times
Washington Heights today is like you said a very mixed neighborhood. Some parts are good and others are sketchy. And by parts i mean blocks. Not a place I would neccisarily live(not because of danger just because of rising rents) but its a great place to visit. And if you like Washington Heights when you go you might want to cross the Hudson and go to Union City,NJ. Very similar neighborhood (except its all cubans). And if your intent is to move and you dont want to pay so much Union City is your choice.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,163,247 times
Washington Heights still has a very large Dominican community. But it not as predominately Dominican compared to like the late 80's or early 90's. Mostly due to the rising rents a lot of Dominicans have spread throughout the city or have moved to other states.

Washington Heights is sort of weird. A block or two can be almost completely White and but then you walk a little and your in a completely Dominican neighborhood. There is also still a concentrated Jewish community in pockets of the neighborhood.

The aspects of the neighborhood change pretty quickly from block to block. The crime aspect is up and down. Some blocks are really quiet others not so much. 188th and Wadsworth is not the greatest area. There is a definite drug presence around there. There are much worse areas in NYC, but I wouldn't call that a safe block. Even just within Washington Heights there are better sections. But it's relative because compared to the late 80's, present-day Washington Heights is very safe. It's not so much that any part of Washinton Heights is neccesarily dangerous because most of the crime in the area is drug related. Its just that some blocks tend to have more drug activity than others.

Personally I've always liked the area around Fort Washington Ave, part of which runs through Hudson Heights. A lot of older people live around there, a lot of nice parkland nearby, and big apartments! Riverside Drive near the beginnings of Wash. Heights is like this as well.

However, as a whole the Wash. Heighs area is very overpriced these days in my opinion. You can find a good deal every once in a while but be prepared to shell out a pretty hefty broker's fee. A lot of the overpricing has to do with the large presence Columbia U. and Presbyterian Hospital has on the real estate market in this area.

BTW I know the area very well, I lived there for about 10 years when I was younger and I still have family there.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-16-2007 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-16-2007, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate it!

I guess I'll just see for myself when I get there!!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:09 AM

122 posts, read 789,224 times
From what I remember of Washington Heights, it wasn't sketchy in a terribly intimidating sort of way. To me, a place feels dangerous if it has BOTH a "bad" reputation AND no one's on the street at 1am. Does that make sense? Some places in Brooklyn are like that, at least. In Washington Heights, at least in the summer, it seems like people are hanging out at all hours. Not the best way to pass the time, especially for teenagers, but at least it means lots of witnesses

The thing that I did NOT like about Washington Heights was the catcalling. I hate hate hate hate hate that s**t. Guys would mutter things to me on every block, or do that stupid annoying hissing crap. It doesn't feel dangerous, just demeaning and lewd.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:57 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,326,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofenstein View Post
The thing that I did NOT like about Washington Heights was the catcalling. I hate hate hate hate hate that s**t. Guys would mutter things to me on every block, or do that stupid annoying hissing crap. It doesn't feel dangerous, just demeaning and lewd.
You mean like this:

[b]Psssssst! psssssst! Hey wha yo name, mami?

Demeaning would be the right adjective to describe such behavior.

I lived in WH on 190st right off B'way(B'way Terrace) and my lady would get accosted going down the stairs in our own building, let alone The Corner where all these losers would hang and sell their sh*t.

The sole reason why we moved. Otherwise, pretty cool place to live. Rent was cheap, and good Cuchifritos. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about.

Although they did know how to throw a block party on the night of the Blackout!

Oh yeah, forgot to answer the OP's question. WH is not dangerous IMO. But like woofenstein said, if you happen to be a good lookin' lady, be ready for the catcalls.

Good luck and take care!!

Cheers!

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-12-2009 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: Add edit

Old 12-12-2009, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 36,197 times
Default In a similar situation...

I am looking to move soon and I found a nice sublet in a 4-bedroom apartment on 172 & Ft. Washington. I really like the apartment but I am not familiar with the neighborhood. I want to be sure the area is safe and okay before I commit myself to the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City