Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 01:30 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times

Advertisements

I rode the Bx12 Select Bus/BRT Line today from Co-op City to Fordham Plaza (Fordham/3rd) and I have some things to share.

- The select buses themselves have these blue wave designs outside and blue flashing lights up front. Inside, the seats and area have this blue shade polka-dot design.

- The ride itself was pretty fast and smooth. From Bay Plaza to Fordham Plaza only took about 15-20 minutes.

- On this line, you have to pay before you get on board, using the machines in this station area. Some people didn't fully understand and ended up having to get off the bus - go to the machine - use it and get back on. A couple of ladies sitting in front of me did not like this at all as they said people aren't going to fully grasp this and it's going to end up messing up their rush hour even more. They also didn't feel that they would do a good job checking receipts and things like that. My receipt wasn't checked today, btw.

- I don't like the placement of the fare machines in the station areas. The coin machines are outside the station area while the MetroCard machines are inside. When I swiped my card, I was expecting the receipt to peek out of the slot but it doesn't. You have to actually reach in and get it - which I can see as problematic.

- At the Pelham/White Plains stop, the select bus stops are actually across the street from the regular Bx12 stops. This poor old man, who had to have been at least 70 ended up running across White Plains Rd (yikes) to the stop at Boston Rd - only to find out that he had to pay before he got on board. I felt sorry for this older gentleman.

- On Fordham, the Select Bus lanes are in red, so obviously regular cars can't drive on them during the week. Pelham Parkway doesn't have the red lanes.

- I think the Select Bus should not be called 'Bx12' as it's throwing people off. The first month or so is going to be ugly - I can tell right away this is going to be rocky for a while. The real test is going to come during the week during the morning and evening rush.

Just for reference, here are the stops - going East to West.
- Bay Plaza/ JC Penny
- Bay Plaza / Linens N Things
- Bartow / Edson
- Pelham Bay Park
- Pelham/Eastchester
- Pelham/Williamsbridge
- Pelham/White Plains
- Fordham/Southern - Bronx Zpp
- Fordham Plaza (Fordham/3rd/Webster)
- Fordham/Concourse
- Fordham/Jerome
- Fordham/University
- Fordham/Cedar
- 207th/10th
- 207th/Broadway

So, yeah, this is probably going to be ugly for the first couple months. The real test is going to start tomorrow during the rush.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 02:15 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
The new bus stops by the Bronx Zoo entrance? I thought there were the concrete barriers along the side of the road to prevent something like that?

Old 06-29-2008, 04:32 PM

187 posts, read 674,663 times
They were using the new buses with the polka-dot interiors as regular buses last weekend. Personally, I think they're beautiful, much nicer than the plain blue. I just hope they keep them looking nice.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:19 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler13 View Post
They were using the new buses with the polka-dot interiors as regular buses last weekend. Personally, I think they're beautiful, much nicer than the plain blue. I just hope they keep them looking nice.
I recently caught one of the polka-dotted bus on the A train shuttle. It was OK, but just a BIT too "busy" for my personal taste. As for keeping them looking nice? They'll look nice only as long as MTA doesn't let anyone ride them .....

Old 06-29-2008, 07:24 PM

I think the polka-dots are a little bit too much for my tastes....

Old 06-29-2008, 08:13 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I agree with a lot of your observations K 22.

I haven't had a chance to check out the buses yet, but I saw a few of them making the rounds already. I live in Fordham so I'll make sure to check them out and report back. Next time I have to go to the heights or Inwood, I'll take the bus.

Yeah I don't know about the receipt thing. That part might not work that well. I just don't picture the MTA commiting to having someone always check the receipts. They still have to work out some kinks.

Why don't they set up some kind of human EZ-pass better? Something you wear on your person, and just scans you as you come in through any of the doors. Just a thought. Don't know how practical this would be.

All in all, I think this will be very good for the Bronx and the other areas where it will be implemented eventually. It was kinda cool to see that this was influenced by the rapid Bus system used in Bogota, Colombia. I was just there recently and it has had a very positive impact in Bogota.

As for the aesthetics. The polka dots look pretty cool on the outside, but they went overboard putting them on the seats.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:26 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Just in case anyone was curious.

The way it works in Bogota is that they have like these mini-bus station things on the roads where people go in to take the buses. There is a booth there, where you buy your fares from an agent. They give you like a plastic card thing. Similar to a metro card. You can put as many rides on it as you want. People don't really trust it so they put only like one or two rides usually. Then you have to feed that card into a turnstile thing which allows you into the boarding area. The buses have several doors and you can get in through any of the doors. The boarding areas have those sliding glass doors, similar to the air train if you ever been on that.

The bus system in Bogota is called the Transmilenio. It's pretty neat. Google it and check it out.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:00 PM

What you are talking about has already been invented. Its a radio chip device that is usually in the shape of a card. Most other countries adopted these for their subway systems years ago. NYC is really behind the curb in still keeping a magnetic strip card instead of one you can press against a machine.

When these are put on buses it definitely speeds up the boarding time as there is no delay. Most buses with these will actually have 2 readers to make it even quicker. You just get on the bus, put the card near the reader, it makes a beeping sound, and you proceed. There is no 2 second lag like with the current MetroCard machines on our buses.

EDIT: I was looking around on Wikipedia and it seems like they are already using one of these cards on the PATH system: SmartLink (smart card) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I agree with a lot of your observations K 22.

I haven't had a chance to check out the buses yet, but I saw a few of them making the rounds already. I live in Fordham so I'll make sure to check them out and report back. Next time I have to go to the heights or Inwood, I'll take the bus.

Yeah I don't know about the receipt thing. That part might not work that well. I just don't picture the MTA commiting to having someone always check the receipts. They still have to work out some kinks.

Why don't they set up some kind of human EZ-pass better? Something you wear on your person, and just scans you as you come in through any of the doors. Just a thought. Don't know how practical this would be.

All in all, I think this will be very good for the Bronx and the other areas where it will be implemented eventually. It was kinda cool to see that this was influenced by the rapid Bus system used in Bogota, Colombia. I was just there recently and it has had a very positive impact in Bogota.

As for the aesthetics. The polka dots look pretty cool on the outside, but they went overboard putting them on the seats.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 18,388 times
I rode the service yesterday as well, and the grade I would give it is a B, with the pluses being easily identifiable buses and stops, and rear door boarding. The minus is the problem of bus bunching, and the failure rate of these machines is way too high.

(See attached pics for stop and vehicle. Both are my own.)
Attached Thumbnails
Riding the Bx12 Select Bus Service-5765.jpg   Riding the Bx12 Select Bus Service-sbspaymentcenteratbostonroadwb.jpg  

Old 06-30-2008, 01:18 PM

34,016 posts, read 47,240,427 times
thanks for the visuals....wonder how the machines will hold up in the snow/heavy rain?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City