Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 02:01 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times

Advertisements

It seems that one poster here is consistently displaying a negative bias toward the Indian population in J.H. to the extent that they are trying to alter the population stats there to cast aspersions on the entire area.

Poor hygiene, uncleanliness, bad business or personal practices are of course objectionable, but I do believe they are not peculiar to one race specifically, and even in one race, there are class and educational distinctions which can affect people's personal behavior based on exposure to proper training.

A lot of times poverty is the common factor across racial, ethnic, religious lines which contrbute to this. Hence the forementioned negatives can be found in white, black, hispanic, asian communities - America-born and foreign-born.

I wouldn't disdain the whole of J.H. because one particular poster finds one race objectionable. There are many esthetic, beautiful buildings with lovely gardens in the area. There are landmark areas and many Argentenians, Colombians, Indians, whites from Brooklyn and Manhattan live side by side alternately enjoying this vibrant part of NYC and struggling to make a mark in our beautiful city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 03:08 PM

391 posts, read 1,249,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
TunaBoy, I'm not sure if you want to live in Jackson Heights. I think it's a pretty decent neighborhood...just whatever you do..don't live near roosevelt. It's annoying, crammed, gross, and filthy. If you have anymore questions I would love to help you
cool...its either gonna be jackson heights or lic for me

Old 06-30-2008, 05:50 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,743 times
Great TunaBoy. I wish you luck wherever you move. I would personally walk the streets of Jackson Heights and Long Island City yourself to see which one you prefer. If you like family settings somewhat..then Jackson Heights is great...if you want to be around more of a singles and younger couple crowd then long island city might be nice..it's sort of industrial and it's close to Manhattan as well

Old 06-30-2008, 09:12 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
I was walking down the street in Jackson Heights on Saturday and saw a many pushing a shopping cart covered in a tarp with skinned goat legs sticking out of it. Two very hip teen girls were walking in front of me, one black and one who looked Southeast Asian. The black girl asked, "Is that halal?" and then they both erupted in laughter.

It was one of those moments that reminded me of why I love NYC: people of every ethnicity and religion having the opportunity to be friends and learn from one another.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:16 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
My guess from looking at the demographics in my own building and those on my block is that there are MANY more white people in JH than Indians. Again, this is my own observation and I have no data to back it up.
I'm going to have to agree as well: I really don't see ANY white people walking around, yet my co-op is almost fully white, including myself; it's very strange.

BTW, I love Italian Farms!!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:01 AM

317 posts, read 1,144,552 times
There are lots of East Asians living around 41st Ave and the side streets in the 70s, but I guess that's actually Woodside (Roosevelt Ave. is the boundary, right?)

Most of the white people in JH live in the historic district, and they must all drive, because I never see them on the train or bus - only on the street.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:10 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times
Roosevelt Ave. is indeed the border.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:01 PM

64 posts, read 143,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Oh yeah, don't go to ANY of the indian grocery stores around there. I thought I would get a good deal...but I ended up leaving once I saw a mouse crawl over some produce. I tried to tough it out and told myself..ok a mouse won't kill me..but then a lot of the veggies had mold on them. Their hygiene standards are much different from americans.

Ignore this fool. My friend lives there and she is fine.. I am pretty sure she shops at the Indian groceries but I don't hear her complaining about mold or mice.

What's your race Page3000? Because you seem to have a wierd bias against Indians..

Old 07-01-2008, 04:05 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,743 times
Thumbs down You're the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAndTheCity View Post
Ignore this fool. My friend lives there and she is fine.. I am pretty sure she shops at the Indian groceries but I don't hear her complaining about mold or mice.

What's your race Page3000? Because you seem to have a wierd bias against Indians..
I have always suggested Jackson Heights as a great place to live. I don't have anything against indians and how dare you pull the race card on me. What I stated above was true. It just happened to be at an indian grocery store.

What race are you? INDIAN? Since you seem to take such AWFUL offense and actually are probing me to know my race.

I will not debate this with you on here.

TunaBoy..Jackson Heights is a decent area..and again, I wish you luck whereever you choose to move!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:24 PM

64 posts, read 143,379 times
I could care less. Just seems like it was odd you kept referring to an Indian dominated area as being filthy, overcrowded etc.

I know I there's plenty of Mexicans so why don't you mention that??

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-01-2008 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: TOS violation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City