Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:11 AM

53 posts, read 268,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieLA View Post
Thank you all for weighing in.

If anyone can recommend a reputable real estate broker/agent, I'd gratefully appreciate it.

EllieLA

Hi,
we´re a Danish family, both professionals, who found a decent place through a very sincere broker that we´d recommend, Astoria Apartments. We were able to hackle the broker fee doqn a bit and even the rent as well. They were very nice and throroughly serious, and the place we found (a 2br) is in a nice and safe area meeting all of our criteria (zoned to good public school, close to subway and park) except a tumbler/dryer in the apt.
Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 12:34 PM

5 posts, read 16,775 times
Default It's Ok

Hi, Helen here, Astoria is culturally mixed, curently I think that mix to be something like- hispanic, greek, italian, muslim. Lots of things to do.

20 years ago, I had 2 cousins from cyprus stay in Astoria for almost 8 years on student visas. Cheap apartments seem to be easier to find if you come across as a hard working and QUIET student.

Only problem, one of my cousins was mugged 1x, working @ a gas station. Pretty rough, (really not needed). He was a working student! My folks promised not to tell his familiy back in Cyprus.

Well my cousins finished school, got life experince and glad to be back home. They did enjoy their stay. I am sure many things are the same the cultural mix may have changed. But I would give it a try. Good Luck.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:53 PM

31 posts, read 236,849 times
Default I lived in Astoria for a Year

Rent is high there, but it's very close to the city if your live near the N train. It's a crowded, congested area. Very diverse in every way. Not a pretty place to live but the shopping & dining is great. (the parking is horrible, so if they have a car, it will be a hassle).

Old 01-03-2009, 10:16 PM

938 posts, read 4,094,561 times
Have the hipsters begun to descend on Astoria yet?

IMO, Astoria has alot of potential. Due to its relative obscurity (not saying its weird or anything, but it hasn't taken off to the same degree many other Manhattan-adjacent locales have) and proximity to Manhattan, this nabe has tons of potential. All of the other goodies such as diversity, yummy ethnic foods, decent housing stock, etc are just icing on the cake

Old 01-03-2009, 11:18 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Have the hipsters begun to descend on Astoria yet?
Where have you been? That's old news. Check out Astoria's housing costs and you'll see.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:47 PM

938 posts, read 4,094,561 times
Well.

Because whenever I ask people, they say there are a few here and there, but nothing sizeable.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:52 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
It's too hard to get to hipster-central in the Billyburg environs from Astoria, so that tends to keep the population down, relative to numbers in Brooklyn. And, with no W train on weekends or weekdays, after 11, it would have to be an early-to-bed hipster who could get to Brooklyn and back before the train cuts off and they have to take a circuitous route back to Astoria via public transit from Brooklyn.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:55 PM

The hipsters started invading Astoria about ten years ago and have been followed by entry level yuppies who can't afford the higher Manhattan prices. Because of its proximity to Manhattan, housing there began to skyrocket and there's been a wave of condo developments going on in the past five years.

Astoria gets prettier as one moves away from the overhead/elevated subway platforms to quieter, cleaner streets. The main thoroughfares are crowded and gritty but amenities, bars, restaurants, outdoor cafes, food markets, etc., are in plentiful supply. One can also live well there without owning a car.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
And, with no W train on weekends or weekdays, after 11, it would have to be an early-to-bed hipster who could get to Brooklyn and back before the train cuts off and they have to take a circuitous route back to Astoria via public transit from Brooklyn.
and early-to-bed hipsters are a rare breed, it seems.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:00 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
and early-to-bed hipsters are a rare breed, it seems.
Indeed, though it could also work if the hipsters in question stayed up all night and then took the train back to Astoria in the morning to sleep, at least during the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City