Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 12:06 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Indeed, though it could also work if the hipsters in question stayed up all night and then took the train back to Astoria in the morning to sleep, at least during the week.
True..and they already have a custom of daytime sleeping on weekdays while ther neighbors are heading out to sweat another day at the job.

Of course on weekends the 24/7 availability is a prerequisite for most self-respecting hipsters both in Williamsburg and in Astoria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 12:11 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,505 times
I don't see too many hipsters in Astoria. It's mostly college students, yuppies, immigrants and native new yorkers. I don't find Astoria crowded at all compared to neighborhoods in the city. I actually sigh in relief when I get back to Astoria, it's a perfectly comfortable pace. The streets right by the N and W el are probably the cleanest of any el train neighborhood in NYC. They're actually next to spotless past 36th ave all the way to ditmars. The residential houses and apartments off of broadway, 30th ave, steinway, crescent, ditmars, 31st ave etc are very, very well kept and clean from around 21st street to 47th street. It's an idyllic neighborhood in my opinion. The great thing about Astoria is the people - they care about their neighborhood and the mix of cultures gets along. You never get the feeling that you'll be robbed or sense any danger here at any time of the day. It feels as safe or even safer than any random neighborhood in Manhattan below 110th street. You know its a good neighborhood when there's a starbucks, trendy outdoor cafes and a NYSC amongst a ton of other things. Again, it's the people that make Astoria great. You can go into an Arabic area, a Hispanic area etc in Astoria and you will feel 100% safe and welcomed. That's extremely rare for most other boroughs and neighborhoods. It's the dynamic of all the shared cultures that makes it work, everyone respects each other and knows we all share this great area and no one wants to screw it up, haha.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:13 AM

838 posts, read 3,097,587 times
Astoria is named after the Astors. Unlike the Astors, Astoria is not the glamor of NYC, nor does it have the intensity or vibrancy of Manhattan. Like the rest of queens, it is culturally mixed and integrated, more so than any other boros. I have been told that in queens, you can hear over 100 different languages being spoken daily. I suspect that that might be true.

If you are looking for a high energy, 24/7 happening place, Astoria is not for you. But if you want to look for a more laid back, cheaper, and safe alternative, and a cultural diversity, Astoria is right on the top of the list.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:23 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
Astoria is named after the Astors. Unlike the Astors, Astoria is not the glamor of NYC, nor does it have the intensity or vibrancy of Manhattan. Like the rest of queens, it is culturally mixed and integrated, more so than any other boros. I have been told that in queens, you can hear over 100 different languages being spoken daily. I suspect that that might be true.

If you are looking for a high energy, 24/7 happening place, Astoria is not for you. But if you want to look for a more laid back, cheaper, and safe alternative, and a cultural diversity, Astoria is right on the top of the list.
You haven't been here in a while, huh? Astoria is changing!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:25 AM

838 posts, read 3,097,587 times
you mean astoria is changing to a point as if it was another manhattan in the middle of queens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
You haven't been here in a while, huh? Astoria is changing!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:06 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
you mean astoria is changing to a point as if it was another manhattan in the middle of queens?
i wouldn't go that far

Old 01-06-2009, 12:45 PM

16 posts, read 35,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I found 2 amazing Astoria apartments for just $750--actual one bedrooms and no roommates. Went to look at them and they seemed clean and legit. I ended up taking one of them. Most are over $1000, but if you really look, you'll find them. I used Millenium real estate on Ditmars Blvd. You'll have to pay the broker one month's rent, but it's worth it if you stay in the apartment for at least a year or so.

I also love the area. Lots to do and the subway is really quick into Manhattan. There are tons of sushi restaurants on Ditmars, which is a big plus for me lol
wow, 750 is pretty good for a one bedroom...

Old 04-04-2012, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,910 times
Am just wondering if anyone has updated information on Astoria; most of these are 3+years old. I'm thinking of moving there from DC. I keep hearing it's full of young people. I'm 37 and would like to live somewhere where I can meet people in their 30s and 40s. Thoughts?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:49 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkibler View Post
Am just wondering if anyone has updated information on Astoria; most of these are 3+years old. I'm thinking of moving there from DC. I keep hearing it's full of young people. I'm 37 and would like to live somewhere where I can meet people in their 30s and 40s. Thoughts?
Its full of young people from othe parts of america.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:11 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Astoria is a decent neighborhood. It has seen some gentrification but not to the same extent as Manhattan or many Northern Brooklyn hoods. Has a little bit of everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City