Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 05:26 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

that area of harlem seems fine to me. no real threat of danger other than a strung-our junkie remnant of the '80s walking around once in a while.

personally i'd prefer the 2/3 trains over the B/C trains for 2 reasons:
one, the B/C stop at 110th and frederick douglass, and thats local. the 2/3 are express at lenox, and the other reason is that the 110th street stop on the B/C always has a bum in it (at least the times i've been there). i'd rather take the 2/3 to 110 and walk the block over and block up from lenox.

i had a friend who used to live in a building on lenox ave and 111. the public areas of the building were a little dirty, but her apartment was huge. this was last year when i visited. neighborhood looked ok to me.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 05:38 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
im a little offended. Harlem is not some jungle full of animals just waiting to attack you. You go through harlem and u see white couples right in the mix. And im talking like 125th, 135th, upper harlem. Nobody is going to bother you. U see white woman walking down blocks, solo like its nothing

Old 07-30-2008, 06:16 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonyc View Post
.....Definitely we would respect our neighbors (and we don't mean to change the area), but just curious if we would be viewed as outsiders

........I ride a bike every night (a road bike with all the irritating spandex), and I don't want to be the jerk in the middle of the area, carrying my nice bike down the stoop to take a ride. It's a fairly "white" and "elitist" sport, I confess, but I enjoy it.
1. Once you're paying rent/living the NH is just as yours as it is the next person's . You don't have to suck up to anyone and as a matter of fact, if you're perceived as going out of your way to "respect" your neighbors, that gesture might backfire. Say hello to people you think are "nice" and if people are mean, just middle finger them mentally and keep walking.
Never walk around with your head down or look "scared" because that is exactly what can attract "taunts".

2. I'm an avid rider myself and I've seen riders in the middle of the so called hood on webster avenue, tremont, Brook etc... without a soul bothering them. Just live.... and life will follow

3. you're not the one raising the prices of the properties it's real estate/landlords. You know, the ones responsible for SOHA aka South Harlem..... I'll like to find that person and drop them off on saratoga on a saturday night in the summer time and let destiny be fulfilled...

Old 07-30-2008, 06:21 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
.....Not even I can live in Manhattan..and that's ok with me..
hhhmm! a sense of entitlement?

Old 07-30-2008, 07:03 PM

8 posts, read 18,855 times
KONY--didn't mean to offend you. I am asking because of the wealth of conflicting information that's out there. Everyone has an opinion of Harlem, and frankly I'm just not sure that half the information I get comes from people who don't live there (and that's the problem--the information is either "it's great" or "it's awful"). Seems like people on this board (I've been reading posts here on and off for awhile) are a bit more accurate when describing different neighborhoods or areas than, say, the people on craigslist. So I figured I'd ask.

bx718--really appreciate the reply.

I think we're going to go for it.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
im a little offended. Harlem is not some jungle full of animals just waiting to attack you. You go through harlem and u see white couples right in the mix. And im talking like 125th, 135th, upper harlem. Nobody is going to bother you. U see white woman walking down blocks, solo like its nothing
I wish this were true. My husband and I used to live in Harlem. He's a white guy and was occasionally hassled for "trying to take over the neighborhood."

However, the advice I gave about the subway station is the same advice I would give to anyone coming home late at night to a station that is not in a 24-hour area. I would be just as careful getting off the N/R at 28th st in Manhattan at 2am because it's a deserted business district. If the OP said his wife would be using the 125th ABCD stop, there would be no problem. That Popeye's on the corner is always jumping and as a women alone you have to know where your safety spots are. It's simple street smarts.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:03 PM

Thanks UpsonDowns. We just set up our lease signing. We're in.

My wife (and I) will actually be using the 110th 2/3 stop or (sometimes) the 110 B/C stop. So far the people have been really nice and accommodating. I'm looking forward to it. Definitely not interested in "taking over" at all.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:04 PM

SeventhFloor--I wonder if your friend lives in the same building as the one we're looking at?

Old 07-30-2008, 11:51 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I am glad to see that you found a place that you liked. And, I am not an expert on Harlem, but I have never noticed anything too bad in that area in recent years, though I don't live there. And, I don't think you're elitist at all with your bicycle, and it would not hurt the city to have that trend be started in more neighborhoods.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:00 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonyc View Post
Thanks UpsonDowns. We just set up our lease signing. We're in.

My wife (and I) will actually be using the 110th 2/3 stop or (sometimes) the 110 B/C stop. So far the people have been really nice and accommodating. I'm looking forward to it. Definitely not interested in "taking over" at all.

The 2/3 is the best most reliable subway IMO, it is great to live near it. The 110th station is fine.

There are two markets that will be near you one is on 110th and CPW and the other is on Lenox and 112th, I used the Lenox one b/c its closer to me but there are usually some not so fun people hanging out in front of the liquor store next to it, so your wife might like the CPW one, it is a lot nicer.

The Harlem meer is a gorgeous part of central park, you should check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City