Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 08:57 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times

Advertisements

Bloomberg was a lifelong democrat, who only ran as a republican because it was an easier way for him to win the election. He is now officially an Independent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 11:43 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
I AGREE with you. Bloomberg and Juliani have been the best mayors for NY, and I am not even Republican!!!!!
.....ditto.....

Old 09-09-2008, 12:04 PM

50 posts, read 132,518 times
Bloomberg is fine. I think he's done a lot of good things, like putting in more bike lanes, and getting more housing built, including affordable housing.

Gulianai was the worst Mayor this city ever had.
The way he let the police department just run people over, the brutality and capricious enforcement of laws-- I never never never want that man to have even an ounce of power again. He takes all the credit for crime going down in the city but he had NOTHING (zero!) to do with it. His only good moment was for about 10min right after 9/11 and he's never shut up about it since.

I don't know how people can people put someone like him and Bloomberg on the same level! Bloomberg is so much better, he better at city finances, better at understanding what challenges the city faces and better at long term planning. He never mocks concerns about police brutality the way that Rudy did. Rudy would look at families who had lost their loved ones for NO REASON and just laugh in their faces.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:11 PM

110 posts, read 347,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurebird View Post
Bloomberg is fine. I think he's done a lot of good things, like putting in more bike lanes, and getting more housing built, including affordable housing.

Gulianai was the worst Mayor this city ever had. The way he let the police department just run people over, the brutality and capricious enforcement of laws-- I never never never want that man to have even an ounce of power again. He takes all the credit for crime going down in the city but he had NOTHING (zero!) to do with it. His only good moment was for about 10min right after 9/11 and he's never shut up about it since.

I don't know how people can people put someone like him and Bloomberg on the same level! Bloomberg is so much better, he better at city finances, better at understanding what challenges the city faces and better at long term planning. He never mocks concerns about police brutality the way that Rudy did. Rudy would look at families who had lost their loved ones for NO REASON and just laugh in their faces.

I actually second that!!! Bloomie dosen't let "New York's Finest" run opver minorities like Gulianni did

Old 09-09-2008, 12:38 PM

6 posts, read 7,326 times
Wow I hear alot of the typical baseless accusations, as usual, but NO FACTS TO BACK IT UP! I gave lots of facts...but the complaints about Bloomberg are just random nonsense \"he is trying to drive out the middle class\" ...yeah right. He is \"knocking down buildings for his developer buddies\" ...more nonsense and false accusations. He has done far more for this city than the last 4 mayors combined....and that\'s the truth. Whether you choose to acknowledge it is your decision, but the fact remains that the city is better, stronger, MORE DIVERSE, healthier, cleaner, and greener than in anytime in the last 40 years. Bloomberg was able to run the city like a business....eliminated alot of waste and pandering to every whiney voice in the city and beyond, and put the city\'s needs first...focused on improving the schools, expanding affordable housing, greening the city, placing a stronger emphasis on mass transit, set aside billions so that we won\'t be suffering when the juice stops flowing, has proposed major initiatives for energy diversification, and otherwise has put the city on a stable and healthy path to the future. But of course, you can always complain about \"too few parking permits for teachers\" or \"he hates black people/poor people\" or other nonsense.....but the reality is...he has been good for the city..and his mark will last long past the end of his administration. Unfortunately we are likely to get a new mayor like everyother one before, a career politician who is in bed with lobbyists, appeases every complainer/union in the city at the expense of the tax payers of NY, and will mismanage the city into a fiscal crisis and/or crime wave due to incompetent leadership, lack of accountability, and pandering every group/race/union/anybody with their hand out so he can get votes...none of which Bloomberg had to do or care about..as he was not obliged or indebted to anyone..he answered only to the city. What we don\'t need in our next mayor is another career politician.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:05 PM

50 posts, read 132,518 times
I agree with most of what you're saying, Bronx4ever. I don't think we'll get another mayor this good for a long time. There were a few things I didn't like about Bloomberg, but they were minor.

I don't know who will have next-- (But, let's hope it's not Wiener.)

Old 09-09-2008, 01:10 PM

Unfortunately we will get another career politician, and endure at least 4 years of typical partisanship, ineffective leadership, pandering to every group for votes, corruption, and everything that makes this city weaker, not stronger. When you rule the city with the sole intention of advancing your political career and \"popularity\" among voters and certian voting blocks, the city will suffer as it has for decades....

Old 09-09-2008, 01:33 PM

629 posts, read 901,287 times
Guilianai, did what NEEDED to be done. I wasnt living here during that time. But come on guys. U actually think you're going to sweet talk the thugs. He ruled with an IRON fist. He didnt care if the thugs didnt like him. But they better have respected him. Unless some of u guys are cops or were cops, u dont have a clue what they go through on a daily basis, and for pratically no money. I hated cops too growing up in Pittsburgh. But guess what, I was always up to no good. It wasnt til i got older that I realized it was ME that was out of line. Bloomberg had it kinda easy when he walked into office. The street cleaning was done. How many people in NYC are alive today because of RUDY? Hugs and kisses wont get the job done. The thugs take KINDNESS as WEAKNESS! Does anybody actually want the old NYC back? The worst mayor? I think what he did was amazing. Maybe the best mayor?

Old 09-09-2008, 01:42 PM

Ummm..you are confusing a good Police Commissioner with a Good Mayor. Rudy was great at bringing the crime rate down.....but he was lousy at being a MAYOR. Being a great Mayor is not only about crime...it is about the city as a whole, and when you look at the reality of his time...he did well with the crime wave....but did NOTHING else. That is not a good Mayor...that is a BAD Mayor..but a GREAT police commissioner. Bloomy had it easy? Bloomy walked into the aftermath of the WTC, he then dealt with the ensuing recession and brought the city back from ALL OF THAT MESS to make it stronger than it has ever been, safer than it has ever been, greener than it has ever been, and we are now on a path of fiscal responsibility. THAT is a good Mayor. So please, refrain from the usual baseless accusations and nonsense. And yeah..Giuliani sucked as Mayor..and sucked even worse as a Presidential candidate..that was laughable.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:05 PM

629 posts, read 901,287 times
broxn4ever, what came first, the chicken or the egg? If you think for one minute that "crime" doesnt effect the city "as a whole", you're nuts. Take yourself, would u want to open a business or buy a piece of property in a crime ridden neighborhood? Lowering crime is the VERY first step needed to lure investers, homebuyers, etc. The reason realestate did so well here, lower crime. Do u think Mannhattan would have had all that new construction and investing if it was the 1970's NYC? And all that new tax revenue, increased torisum, etc., was the DIRECT effect of LOWER crime. Rudy, is a hero. In fact, they should have him BRONZED! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City