Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:27 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,973 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. I'm new here. Spent time in NYC and am moving to NY in early "09". I will surely have many question from now until/and after I move.
Can anyone tell me how safe Inwood/Wash. Hts. is? I've seen some nice apts on craigslist. I've shopped on 181 st & enjoyed much.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 01:17 PM

50 posts, read 132,545 times
It's hard to say how safe a place is because it depends on how well you fit in, in some ways. And different neighborhoods are dangerous for different reasons. It would be easier to help you if you could name a part of the city where you felt safe--

If you think say... Hells Kitchen is safe (at all times of day) then you'll be fine up there. Still, you might want to avoid Inwood Park at night. If you only feel safe on the UES or in Gramercy then you will not feel safe in Inwood.

I know a lot of people who live in Inwood. They have kids and work downtown mostly. They are street smart but not originally from NYC, like me, they moved here from smaller towns and cities. I know of one break-in. But that's in the past 5 years.

I lived in Washington Heights and, though I liked it a lot, I always felt left out since I didn't speak Spanish very well. Still everyone was pretty nice to me and I made a few friends. It's just as safe as Inwood but it's all Dominican, Puerto Rican and Mexican.

I say this over and over but if you want to know if you'll like a place go there and hang out for a bit.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:33 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,687 times
You should check out Hamilton Heights if you like 181st street. I think is seems like a safe area ( I do not live there), and I have read there are some good deals on housing there, but like the above poster said, how safe you feel is all relative to who you are, so go and check it out b/f you decide to live anywhere.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:36 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,973 times
Default Thanks FutureBird

I appreciate your advise very much. Actually, I would feel safe there, although I would take your advise a keep out of Inwood Park at night. I don't speak spanish but would not mind doing the Rosetta Stone thing..

Just one more question please.....Is there more english spoken in Inwood??

Old 09-09-2008, 01:47 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,687 times
Both languages are spoken, you should really stay out of any park late at night unless you are there for some reason, like a concert or something.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:39 PM

169 posts, read 419,046 times
I'm curious--why inwood? its mostly some old buildings, which are typically ideal for immigrants. There are no new housing, and the new buildings are better and suitable unless you fall in the same economic bracket of an immigrant.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:43 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson92186 View Post
I'm curious--why inwood? its mostly some old buildings, which are typically ideal for immigrants. There are no new housing, and the new buildings are better and suitable unless you fall in the same economic bracket of an immigrant.
I vigorously disagree with the statements above. New buildings are NOT 'better.' New buildings often have no character. Those buildings that you call 'old' have beautiful architectural details, with beamed ceilings, nice wood (usually oak!) floors and beautiful glass doorknobs. Those apartments, because of the solid construction, are also incredibly soundproof.

I live in up in that area during medical school and had a beautiful, spacious apartment with 10 foot ceilings and lots of closets in an 'old' building that was far superior to any of the 'new' construction.

Have you ever been IN one of those 'old' buildings? They're chock full of detail and craftsmanship that you'll never see in a cookie cutter 'new' apartment building.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:51 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times
Pre-war buildings tend to have huge amounts of space.. I'd probably take those over the post-war buildings. I also think that they have a lot more character; sometimes I really disgusted with how simplistic some of these modern buildings are.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:26 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Pre-war buildings tend to have huge amounts of space.. I'd probably take those over the post-war buildings. I also think that they have a lot more character; sometimes I really disgusted with how simplistic some of these modern buildings are.
Very astute observation. Prewars have their own good characteristics, e.g., many have terraces and glitter on the inside/outside. But when you actually carefully examine prewars, you do see sturdier construction and quality workmanship. After the war, housing was in hot demand for returning servicemen/women and the baby boomers to be, so construction accelerated and guess what - quality and cost gave way to expediency and a fast buck.

Somehow that scenario seems familiar in other aspects of life, but maybe it's just me.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:00 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Not just prewar, but there are some fantastic Art Deco buildings on both Fort Washington Avenue and Bennett Place--just below Inwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City