Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 06:21 PM

166 posts, read 612,284 times

Advertisements

Just curious, but I have seen reports all over the news for the past few years discussing the tension between blacks and hispanics in certain cities (mainly out west) of tension between blacks and Hispanics. But I notice that in New York I rarely ever hear any tension between the two groups (I know that having Puerto Ricans/Dominicans in NYC being the dominant Latino groups makes it a different scenario than Mexicans being prominant in LA).

I know that a lot of Ricans and Dominicans are of African descent themselves so this is why there is less tension. But I just wanna know why there is such a bond between blacks and Latinos in NYC.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:25 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,986,001 times
I've seen plenty of tension between those two when I went to high school..

Old 09-11-2008, 07:04 PM

508 posts, read 2,120,035 times
All three groups have been living together in various parts of the city since the 1940s. And while there may be disagreements, for the most part, we respect each other and appreciate each other in terms of history and culture. Most of us have grown up with friends and even family members from all three groups (due to intermarriage) so we've learned a lot that way.

I think in Cali, a lot of the tension centers around crime and has boiled over to cultural differences. Meaning, it started with turf war and criminal activity and then spilled over into innocent bystanders which then gave a lot of negative stereotypes etc.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:49 PM

938 posts, read 4,094,873 times
Dominicans and to a lesser extent Ricans ARE Black.

And for the other races...they don't (for the most part) share turf with the Blacks.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:57 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,575,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I've seen plenty of tension between those two when I went to high school..
there is an undelying tension but it doesn't surface the way it does on the West Coast or in other parts of the country. NYC has its own peculiar dynamics between and among racial and ethnic groups - too complex to cover in this thread.

We're all grateful for as minimum tension as possible among the different groups that make us a unique place to be.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:07 PM

536 posts, read 2,349,259 times
On LI there's some tension in traditionally black neighborhoods where hispanics, mostly salvadoreans and Mexicans (there are Puerto Ricans on LI, but most seem to live in white neighborhoods), are moving in. My mom has worked in the public school systems of Uniondale and Westbury and she says a lot of black mothers she talks to complain about how the salvadoreans are "ruining" the neighborhoods. I'm sure ms-13 violence popping up in Newsday on a regular basis doesn't help much.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:27 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
Ricans and Blacks get along. They shared alot of neighborhoods for a long time and make up the population in most projects. They also went through similar struggles and are both are interweaven in hip-hop culture. During the crack days, in most projects it was Puerto Rican VS Black, in Jail its still like that and when Puerto Ricans first came they detested each other. Things are chill now.

Dominicans and Blacks dont really get along. Neighborhoods that have fair amount of blacks but predominatly Dominican like Uni/Morris Heights, Highbridge, Tremont etc there is an uneasy truce. They dont get in each others way because both hold alot of weight in the drug turf. The problem is that most Dominicans dont speak english well and blacks dont like that. They have nothing in common so alot of fights occurs between the groups. Dominicans who know english usually have less problems.

However there is alot of rascism on both sides. I personally can vouch for my side. We call blacks "cocolos" and other derogatory names. Im sure they do the same.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:45 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,674,322 times
Mario: papi, you're part black yourself. Blacks and Mexicans on the west coast have very little in common; at least here in NYC Domicinans tend to be pretty black and many Puerto Ricans are at least part black. There isn't as much racial tension betweens blacks and Hispanics here in NYC as there is out west; however, there can be some ethnic tension between gangs.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:10 PM

59 posts, read 238,248 times
For the most part blacks and hispanics get along here because we share neighborhoods, we grew up together and we respect each others culture and lifestyle. I love the hispanic culture especially the food and music and for me growing up in the Bronx we had to interact with each other it's just everyday life might as well get along. Although from time to time I've had to curse a few hispanic men out for saying something slick because they thought I didn't understand spanish ..but it's all love.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:10 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Mario: papi, you're part black yourself. Blacks and Mexicans on the west coast have very little in common; at least here in NYC Domicinans tend to be pretty black and many Puerto Ricans are at least part black. There isn't as much racial tension betweens blacks and Hispanics here in NYC as there is out west; however, there can be some ethnic tension between gangs.
Not even gangs. Im telling you we dont like them like that. They dont really like us. At the very least we dont trust them when they're in groups because they get all macho and want to impress their friends. The Puerto Ricans do the same thing to us too. We avoid black blocks like the plague around here and if we're going through, then we make sure we enough people with us. The treatment is not as bad now as it was when Dominicans first started coming in because they know we have alot of numbers and that we usually fight back. Blacks traget Mexicans for robberies here now. I am not saying its world war 3 but subconsciously Dominicans and Blacks really dont hang out. Sure you may have some here and there but Dominicans mostly speak spanish. Blacks don't...and alot of us (like me) dont look black so what do we have in common besides sharing the same hood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City