Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You a MET Fan or a YANKEE Fan
Met Fan 25 26.32%
Yankee Fan 46 48.42%
Both Teams 8 8.42%
Other, please post 7 7.37%
Not Sure 1 1.05%
I do NOT like baseball. 8 8.42%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 12:48 AM

655 posts, read 1,991,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
No way, I'd never live in the south lol

I got into the Braves as a kid because my favorite player is on that team.
chipper jones? tom glavine? greg maddux? john smoltz?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 07:21 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
chipper jones? tom glavine? greg maddux? john smoltz?

Chipper Jones Then I finally met him when I was 17 and he wasn't all that friendly. He's still my favorite player though.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:51 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Are You A Met Fan or a Yankee Fan?

I've always been a Yankee fan, since Mickey Mantle's days.
My problem is that there is no baseball team I dislike. But I have a hierarchy for the teams I like the most:

The order gets foggier the further I go down the list, but my top ten is basically this:

#1 Marlins
#2 Mets
#3 Indians
#4 Yankees
#5 Angels
#6 Rockies
#7 Diamondbacks
#8 Reds
#9 Rays
#10 Giants

For the top four choices, at least, I'll root for each team in all situations, UNLESS they're playing one of my higher choices. So for example I'll root for the Mets over all other National League teams, unless they happen to be playing the Marlins--I'll even root for the Marlins over the Mets if I'm attending the game and the Mets are at home--I just did that last night, for example. Once you get past the top four, though, I might root for a lower team over one of highers (but not the top four) if I'm attending the game on their home field. So for example, if I'm in San Francisco and they're playing Colorado, I'll root for San Francisco for that game . . . and sometimes later in the season, it depends on who stands to gain more by winning. However, I still can't do that with my top four--the Mets needed to win last night, while Florida is out of the running at this point, but I just couldn't get myself to root for the Mets over the Marlins.

Also, teams that I don't dislike, but do not normally care so much about--like the Rangers for a random example--I'd root for if I was watching them at their home field, or if I lived closer to them, even if they were playing one of the other teams higher on my list--except for the top four again.

By the way, in case you're wondering, to an extent, my hierarchy has to do with where I've lived (Florida, the NYC area, Ohio, etc.), people I've known (such as a relative who worked for the Angels for many years), etc.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:25 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,571,760 times
As we speak, I'm still a Mets fan but if they continue year after year giving me a roller coaster followed by a collapse, I'll quit watching baseball and head to Great Adventure instead.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:03 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,265 times
Yankee fanatic. Section 39 resident.

Freddy Sez for President!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:02 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
As we speak, I'm still a Mets fan but if they continue year after year giving me a roller coaster followed by a collapse, I'll quit watching baseball and head to Great Adventure instead.
Oh, come-on! This is what makes baseball so damn fun. The ups, the downs, the gut wrenching wins, the heart breaking defeats. I can see what you mean, but I wouldn't want it any way else. This is the pennant race for crying out loud. Speaking of pennants, the Phills clinch the NL East for the second straight year. Now, I'm upset about this! The Mets gave the Phills the division again! 2 weeks ago, the Mets were like 3 games up and playing well! Then they started to stumple... This is why they play the game.. Rachael. You're a Braves fan!? EWWWW!!! Though, when it comes to hockey, GIVE ME THE DEVILS OVER THE RANGERS ANY DAY!!!

Old 09-27-2008, 08:33 PM

655 posts, read 1,991,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Yankee fanatic. Section 39 resident.

Freddy Sez for President!
I've sat out there a few times over the years.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:01 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times
Well, the Mets just lost to Florida, ending their season. It seems to me the difference between 2008 and 2007 is that last year, the collapse was so complete, you didn't know what had to be done first. This year, the offense and starting pitching were fine. But it's very obvious that the bullpen has to be revamped, top to bottom. They absolutely cannot go into the 2009 season with the same relief corps.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:03 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Well, it's still apparently too early to tell how the Mets' 2008 season is going to end. Last night's come-from-behind victory over the Cubs proves one thing--they're not going to lay down and die again. If they make it to the playoffs, Jerry Manuel ought to be the NL Manager of the Year. He's made everyone forget that Willie Randolph was ever here!
Well it looks like the Mets Died again Do you still believe Manuel should be Manager of the year. I thought Willie took to much of the blame, it was obvious the players layed down for Wille, and Immediatly played better once he was fired... It's time for the players to stand up and take responsibility for yet another collapse

Old 09-28-2008, 04:33 PM

185 posts, read 752,102 times
Used to be a Red Sox, then Yankee fan, then Marlins, but now that I can't afford baseball games, I don't really have a team. I just wish working class people could still go and see the games like they used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City