Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:23 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Your interests, "floristry/jewellery" (to say nothing of teaching), are very low paying jobs. It would be very difficult to live in Manhattan and pursue either (at the very least you'll probably end up in Queens or with roommates). Every job in New York is extremely professionalized, i.e., people are looking for lots of training and experience for even low-level service jobs.

Moving to New York is hard. Making a career change is harder. Doing both at the same time in nearly impossible without a huge safety net (savings or other subsidy).

I don't know about San Diego, but in New York it's very difficult to work part time (i.e., "teaching/tutoring work if need be to get by") and afford your rent. I have a lot of actor friends who do it, but they eat a lot of canned soup and have worry if buying a cup of coffee will blow their budget for the week.
Can you explain to me why it would be disastrous for the OP to end up in Queens? As a NYC resident for ages, I fail to see the catastrophe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 09:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimistic3 View Post
Hi,

P.S. I know both are expensive to live, especially as I would look in Manhattan/Pacific Beach in an ideal world. These places are where my sister/friend lives near, and I would like to be part of the action (but with a place to live on a quiet street to lay my head)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Can you explain to me why it would be disastrous for the OP to end up in Queens? As a NYC resident for ages, I fail to see the catastrophe.
I agree with the sentiment, Miles, but the comment may be directed towards the OP's desire to live in Manhattan even while apparently making low wages.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:13 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
You misunderstand my post. It had nothing to do with the nobility of teaching or your qualifications to be a teacher.

My point is that EVERY job the in the city is professionalized, even ones that are comparatively low-level: just try getting a job as a doorman or look at the sanitation thread on this board. I work in the theater but sometimes work as temporary secretary. I have supported some extremely high-level executives and senior law partners at white-shoe firms. Even so, I once got turned down for a temp job because I "didn't have experience in entertainment law." This is an example of just how ludicrous this city can be. Never mind that the job was just answering the phone for a few days while someone was on vacation. That attorney could ask for very specific (and unnecessary) experience because this is New York and the are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of people with the exact qualifications sought.

When I lived in Minneapolis is was very easy to stumble into an interesting job. Employers were simply looking for smart people with a degree who were conscientious and reliable. New York is much more competitive and many (most?) people are overqualified for what they do. When I first moved to New York I applied for jobs in Web publishing (the same job I had in Minneapolis). I gave up (after six months) when I realized that I was competing with people who had computer science degrees from MIT or graphic design degrees for RISD. They were profoundly overqualified but were willing to take the jobs because they wanted to work in Manhattan. Considering my main focus was theater, I didn’t stand a chance. If you're looking for a job in jewelry design (an ultra hip and trendy field) you will be up against a similar problem.

In a city like Minneapolis it's possible to live an urban, middle- (or even upper-middle) class existence without trying very hard. You can work part-time and still live in a cool neighborhood in the middle of the city and have money left over to do other things. That's simply not possible in New York. Here it takes tremendous effort to be poor.
Agree 100%.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I agree with the sentiment, Miles, but the comment may be directed towards the OP's desire to live in Manhattan even while apparently making low wages.
You are correct, Henna. I did not properly focus on the OP's desire for Manhattan. My apologies to tpk for questioning his rationale.

I'll go to the back of the class now!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:49 AM

391 posts, read 1,249,098 times
san diego is boring

but you can always go to tijuana!!

Old 10-02-2008, 03:09 AM

185 posts, read 752,223 times
After graduating from NYC Public Schools, I don't believe that its fair to say the the system is "awful" It depends largely on which school you teach at, ESPECIALLY on the High School level, where there is a GREAT variation in quality and demographics. Keep in mind though, that compared to most areas, New York Teachers do well, better pay, strong union, better funding, and a general support in the area for public education.

That said, culturally New York and San Diego are very different. New York is VERY Culturally diverse, I admit it probably seems better on vacation as some said, however, living here is great too, as there is so much to do, beautiful parks, activities, concerts, cafes, theaters, beaches... the list goes on and on, you wont run out of things to do, ESPECIALLY in Summer

If you are concerned about weather though the winters are COLD, February is just Awful. (better then the Midwest), but tough to get used to if you are from down south or west coastal states.

If you are able to move anywhere in California and want New York Culture. Consider San Francisco, it has high population density, a lot of culture, similar progressive values, good public transit, and GREAT weather compared to the weather we got here

Old 10-02-2008, 07:22 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,894 times
Quote:
Your interests, "floristry/jewellery" (to say nothing of teaching), are very low paying jobs. It would be very difficult to live in Manhattan and pursue either (at the very least you'll probably end up in Queens or with roommates). Every job in New York is extremely professionalized, i.e., people are looking for lots of training and experience for even low-level service jobs.

Moving to New York is hard. Making a career change is harder. Doing both at the same time in nearly impossible without a huge safety net (savings or other subsidy).
If you read between the lines of the original poster, it's clear that money is not that much of a concern. I sense she comes from means and has some sort of funding, whether it be parents and/or a trust.

In that case, welcome home to Manhattan. You'll fit right in.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:47 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times
As someone who lived and grew up in OC and practically hung out in SD, I would say hands down SD. A poster said visiting or doing the weekend in NYC is amazing....yes it is....small doses. To LIVE San Diego hands down. You cannot compare the theatre, the arts and the other cosmo influences..but it gets old...QUICK. Come for visits, enjoy the apple, but lay your head down at night on the beach overlooking coronado!!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:52 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
As someone who lived and grew up in OC and practically hung out in SD, I would say hands down SD. A poster said visiting or doing the weekend in NYC is amazing....yes it is....small doses. To LIVE San Diego hands down. You cannot compare the theatre, the arts and the other cosmo influences..but it gets old...QUICK. Come for visits, enjoy the apple, but lay your head down at night on the beach overlooking coronado!!!!
Funny you should say that. I had a friend, based in Strasbourg, France. He was offered a job (HUGE opportunity) in the San Diego area. He turned it down. Why? Because he felt that the lack of cultural opportunities was so acute there that he and his family would be miserable. Weather isn't everything. Not everyone likes the beach. I'd rather swallow shards of glass than go to the beach.

And I've been to and stayed at the Del Coronado - what a dump!

Old 10-02-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Funny you should say that. I had a friend, based in Strasbourg, France. He was offered a job (HUGE opportunity) in the San Diego area. He turned it down. Why? Because he felt that the lack of cultural opportunities was so acute there that he and his family would be miserable. Weather isn't everything. Not everyone likes the beach. I'd rather swallow shards of glass than go to the beach.

And I've been to and stayed at the Del Coronado - what a dump!
Wow! swallow shards of glass?! You must be a writer too with your excellent use of hyperbole and metaphors.

Guess I'll have one less CD person to invite to my future vacation home in South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City