Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:09 PM

520 posts, read 844,382 times

Advertisements

There may have been a thread of this sort a while ago, however, in light of ever changing venues a current version of the thread deserves a chance.

Well, I am in need of a few suggestions. In my younger days (early 20's) I had my share of night club hopping, but as I got older I became tired of the grimy meat market scene and brain-draining music. So I retired. Recently I got the urge to go dancing, but I have no idea where to go. I've been "club-free" for over 5 years.

Can anyone recommend some decent places. So here is what I don't want, I don't want the Sex-and-the-City crowd, I don't want men grinding the first derrière they see waving, I don't want hip-hop (new), I don't want jocks, I don't want reggaeton (yuk!), I don't want merengue, I don't want guidos, I don't want teenagers. I am afraid that I've eliminated all possible clubs. Is there anything left for me, or would I have better chance at creating my own dance club than finding something suitable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 01:15 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
Can anyone recommend some decent places. So here is what I don't want, I don't want the Sex-and-the-City crowd, I don't want men grinding the first derrière they see waving, I don't want hip-hop (new), I don't want jocks, I don't want reggaeton (yuk!), I don't want merengue, I don't want guidos, I don't want teenagers. I am afraid that I've eliminated all possible clubs. Is there anything left for me, or would I have better chance at creating my own dance club than finding something suitable?
I suggest you go find an open space in a park, bring along an old record player, a copy of "Swanee River," an old friend, and waltz away, as that's pretty much the only party left for you after the above requirements are met,.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I suggest you go find an open space in a park, bring along an old record player, a copy of "Swanee River," an old friend, and waltz away, as that's pretty much the only party left for you after the above requirements are met,.
That's pretty harsh. But seriously, why Swanee River and a waltz? I'm 29 but very old fashioned because I don't like booty grinding, spiked hair and an orange tan? What happened to Red Hot chili peppers, Queen, led zeppelin, last shadow puppets, westbound train, elvis, swing, jazz and maybe some good ol' samba? Ok, there is some electronic music which can qualify.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
That's pretty harsh. But seriously, why Swanee River and a waltz? I'm 29 but very old fashioned because I don't like booty grinding, spiked hair and an orange tan? What happened to Red Hot chili peppers, Queen, led zeppelin, last shadow puppets, westbound train, elvis, swing, jazz and maybe some good ol' samba? Ok, there is some electronic music which can qualify.
true. i stand corrected.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:25 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
It's sounds like you want a gay club. If you're a woman there's no sexual tension and you can just dance and have a good time.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It's sounds like you want a gay club. If you're a woman there's no sexual tension and you can just dance and have a good time.
You guys are a riot, why such extremes? Is our present so bleak? I wouldn't mind a gay club, but I think that my husband and might. Basically only gays can have a civilized time, no booty grinding (this is somewhat dubious), no glitz and glamor and decent music? Come on.

Miles, if you stand corrected then suggest.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 PM

I guess our present is THAT bleak or my requests are pretty outrageous, because I am not getting any club names or any serious responses.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Miles, if you stand corrected then suggest.
afraid to go there again. i suggested my usual saturday routine in the park - minus an old friend - and you took offence. i can only offer from my own experiences. see, when you're over the hill like i am, wear a toupee, have an inferior dental appearance, you don't go to many clubs as there's no one to go with. hence i party in central park. but you are right, i aint got any suggestions to offer a lady like you. the names you mentioned for your type of club, i never heard of before. i just googled some of them and came up with an elvis costello. never heard of him and the only zeppelin i knew was a russian fella hiding from the soviet mafia.

sorry but someone else might be able to help. good luck.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 11-20-2008 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-20-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
afraid to go there again. i suggested my usual saturday routine in the park - minus an old friend - and you took offence. i can only offer from my own experiences. see, when you're over the hill like i am, wear a toupee, have an inferior dental appearance, you don't go to many clubs as there's no one to go with. hence i party in central park. but you are right, i aint got any suggestions to offer a lady like you. the names you mentioned for your type of club, i never heard of before. i just googled some of them and came up with an elvis costello. never heard of him and the only zeppelin i knew was a russian fella hiding from the soviet mafia.

sorry but someone else might be able to help. good luck.
Just a regular comedian, well although you weren't able to offer any substantial suggestions I did enjoy a nice laugh.

Be careful partying in central park, especially certain areas, even your inferior dental appearance may serve as a magnet to some party animals. Toupees are great, you can really use them if you visit a gay club (via tpk suggestion) and need to wave a bandanna around to the whistle of Donna Summer's "Bad Girl." You may not be as over the hill as you think.

Drop the image of the russian fella and get a hold of Led Zeppelins album, you can't afford not to listen to Robert Plant at least once in your lifetime.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Just a regular comedian, well although you weren't able to offer any substantial suggestions I did enjoy a nice laugh.

Be careful partying in central park, especially certain areas, even your inferior dental appearance may serve as a magnet to some party animals. Toupees are great, you can really use them if you visit a gay club (via tpk suggestion) and need to wave a bandanna around to the whistle of Donna Summer's "Bad Girl." You may not be as over the hill as you think.

Drop the image of the russian fella and get a hold of Led Zeppelins album, you can't afford not to listen to Robert Plant at least once in your lifetime.

okay. suggestions noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City