Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:04 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 206er-InNY View Post
Expand on that a little, if you would, please?

Is there Post grad's washing dishes in the back of restaurants?

Master's level folks Scraping Mice outta traps in Stockrooms?

"People tend to do crap they normally wouldn't be doing."

^^That could mean many different things. I plan on being out there within the next 60 days. I am willing to work crap jobs while I am finishing my degree (As the aforementioned Dish washer/Mouse scraper, if necessary)

I'm just wondering about my 'Mouse scraping competition"
Well ok, i didn't mean it like that. What I mean is, you might have someone who would normally work, say, construction who can't get a job. Now that person is out robbing little old ladies and beating them up etc. Just a example, but tuff times generally bring out the worst. I mentioned native NYers because I know the type of mentalities that are out there. I knew guys who were doing illegal activities, who then got a 9 to 5. But they wouldn't hesistate to get back to the street thing if the times called for it.

since your going to be in school I would suggest looking for G.A. positions on campus or some sort of student employment. Doesn't pay much at all BUT you can put some money in your pocket with a G.A. job. G.A. (graduate assistant) jobs are easy to come by generally as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
There is NOBODY hiring anyone. For anything.
dont know if Viralmd was being sarcastic or not but I have a cousin. He was working high end construction. Meaning working on condos for rich people. If they wanted to add x,y and z to their apartment etc. Anyway he is out of work, and has looked everywhere for anything and isn't having much luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 10:28 AM

821 posts, read 1,039,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Well ok, i didn't mean it like that. What I mean is, you might have someone who would normally work, say, construction who can't get a job. Now that person is out robbing little old ladies and beating them up etc. Just a example, but tuff times generally bring out the worst. I mentioned native NYers because I know the type of mentalities that are out there. I knew guys who were doing illegal activities, who then got a 9 to 5. But they wouldn't hesistate to get back to the street thing if the times called for it.

since your going to be in school I would suggest looking for G.A. positions on campus or some sort of student employment. Doesn't pay much at all BUT you can put some money in your pocket with a G.A. job. G.A. (graduate assistant) jobs are easy to come by generally as well.

dont know if Viralmd was being sarcastic or not but I have a cousin. He was working high end construction. Meaning working on condos for rich people. If they wanted to add x,y and z to their apartment etc. Anyway he is out of work, and has looked everywhere for anything and isn't having much luck.

^^Thats the same reason my GF is unemployed. She was an assistant to an architect. He had high end clients and when the economic bubble burst all his clients canceled their projects and he could no longer afford to pay my GF.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:40 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 206er-InNY View Post
hiring?...

I swear, I'll regress 10 years and Bag groceries, Bus tables, Clean exercise equipment and fold towels at a gym...I don't care, I just need to finish my degree. But this has me really considering putting a hiatus on my move out there, to save more. My girlfriend is already going there from SoCal, but she has a Job lined up

wow. and thanks

Not to sound dismal, but you need to hurry up as a lot of former Wall Streeters are already bagging groceries and cleaning tables. But in an economy where people have cut back on groceries and dining out the prospects for job security in these occupations are also bleak.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:59 PM

42 posts, read 190,768 times
If you go to snagajob.com and look up a NYC zip code, there is a thousand+ jobs. Jobs delivering pizzas, bagging, packing, warehouse work, etc...

If noone is hiring for anything, why are there jobs available on this website?
I understand a thousand jobs isn't much for a city of 8+ million people, but the way some people make it sound is there are absolutely ZERO jobs available.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:17 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdMan1986 View Post
If you go to snagajob.com and look up a NYC zip code, there is a thousand+ jobs. Jobs delivering pizzas, bagging, packing, warehouse work, etc...

If noone is hiring for anything, why are there jobs available on this website?
I understand a thousand jobs isn't much for a city of 8+ million people, but the way some people make it sound is there are absolutely ZERO jobs available.
As NJ Chutzpah said. Its not that there are no jobs. You are fighting against THOUSANDS of other people, some with impeccable qualifications for a small amount of jobs.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:27 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
In a bad economy, hyper-competitive job markets like NYC are probably not where you want to be if your looking for work, unless you are in a downturn proof industry like Healthcare.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:14 AM

821 posts, read 1,039,815 times
I hear the repo industry is booming!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:43 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
You might also consider the civil service. As a former private sector worker now happily ensconced in a civil service job for almost eight years, I can tell you that it's definitely worth considering. The Chief-Leader is our local civil service paper, accessible online (thechief-leader.com). See what jobs have exams coming up, and then apply!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:20 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
The marquee at the Loew's (or is it AMC? ) Lincoln Square, between the titles of current features, says that they have openings. Box office? Ushering? Head of Accounting? Chief booker? No clue what they're looking for, but they want to interview someone.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City