Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:24 PM

201 posts, read 968,622 times

Advertisements

Tee Hee. I'm a 34 year old lawyer living in Jackson Heights with hubby...yes, FHills is very nice, but expensive...Jackson Heights was at a good price for us and appreciated nicely...There are many beautiful gardens in the historic district (where I am)...I feel safe. Would I live here forever? No. Parking is a ***** in Fhill....a LITTLE better in the Heights....If you can afford it, I'd go FHills though..but NOTHING wrong with Jackson Heights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 09:41 PM

27 posts, read 77,813 times
No doubt about it, Forest Hills is the nicer neighborhood of the two. Cleaner, more subway trains to Manhattan and minutes from Forest Park or Flushing Meadows. The shopping is superior in Forest Hills as well. If you can afford it, Forest Hills is the better investment. Just look at old photos of the two. Although both have dramatically changed over the years, Forest Hills retains more of it's original charm, especially in Forest Hills Gardens and the Cord-Meyer section. I may be biased as I was born there 52 years ago, but being a Californian for the last 33 years, everytime I visit New York I always feel good when I visit Forest Hills. Unfortunately, I can't say that about a lot of Queens.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:11 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gregg View Post
If you can afford it, Forest Hills is the better investment. Just look at old photos of the two. Although both have dramatically changed over the years, Forest Hills retains more of it's original charm, especially in Forest Hills Gardens and the Cord-Meyer section.
Actually it is Jackson Heights that has retained more of its original charm than FH. Many blocks have been designated official historical landmarks at the federal, state and city level and kept its original architecture from prewar years. Outside of FH Gardens, most of the old architecture of FH has been modernized and lost many of its original detail.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:26 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I too would choose Forest Hills over Jackson Heights. FH has more subway service options and has a cleaner feel to it than JH.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:56 AM

The area in JH that has been marked as a historic landmark is more than 60 blocks in area so there's more than enough space to give it a clean feel go go about one's daily business. The commercial area along 37th ave. is also very clean, has a starbucks, delis etc. The subway stops along Roosevelt are not so clean (but not so filthy either), and this is mainly due to them being main transit points for people coming from all over Queens. Mss transit apart from subways is not good though. The express bus service was terminated and JH has no LIRR unlike FH.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:25 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,376 times
I live in Forest Hills, one block from the E & F express subway stop and have been here for 30+ years. I love it, and I personally feel its the most upscale neighborhood in Queens.

I'm looking to move out of NYC next summer and head south. I feel that its time to leave the big city now that I am settled and married now.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:25 PM

371 posts, read 625,009 times
I lived in Forest Hills until I was priced out. I loved it and would move back in a heartbeat if I could afford to. Like the poster above, I too am looking to move out of NYC next summer and head south but I really enjoyed my years in FH.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
I can't believe the advice people give out on this forum. First of all, Jackson Heights is served by the E and F as well, at the station Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue.

As for which one is nicer, its either/or. You'll see more white people in Forest Hills and a lot of immigrants in Jackson Heights. However, I liked eating at South American and Indian restaurants, so if you're not someone who insists on living in the whitest neighborhood, in all honesty, the neighborhoods are about the same. Both have a lot of houses if you walk some distance from the subway line. Both are served by the Queens Boulevard line, and both have express stops on the E and F. Forest Hills has a LIRR station, but its a short walk from Jackson Heights to Woodside, which has a LIRR station.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:26 AM

I'm assuming though that someone of moderate means wanting to move to Jackson Heights would be looking at the historic district. It's (historic district) is a fairly large area and depending on where you live there, it can be quite far for a daily rush hour walk to the E/F station in 74th. Your train would be the 7, which is packed in the morning and prone to delays. Even the buses to the E/F can get full.Woodside LIRR is likewise far to walk to everyday. I would recommend buying/leasing a small car like a Golf and making a short drive down Junction Blvd. to catch the express near the Queens Mall for a comfortable commute to Manhattan.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:15 AM

877 posts, read 2,013,238 times
This thread is over 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: