Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:05 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,045,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Yes Sha83...SuperWario seems to be elevating the hood culture into anything other than hood culture...this group hating that group..blah blah blah..that has nothing to do with reality and everything to do with the ghetto subculture...so leave it at that. The reality is the only animosity by anyone is by those who are poorly educated and angry at everything and everybody....period. And yes..Hispanic is not a race it is a culture, however there are general attributes that define each group...the 10% of whites and 10% of blacks in PR, for example, is not representative of the sgroup, but the exception, with the majority of the population falling into a bell curve of phenotypes between the two.
PR is supposedly 80% white. Not a good example. Cuba and DR are over 50% mixed, they would be better examples.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:07 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I haven't seen many Dominicans that hang out with blacks. Very few. But I know of many Nuyoricans who do, white or black.
I think you use your own personal experiences too much to make negative generalizations. When I was in high school Dominicans and Blacks had their problems but we still socialized. It wasn't as hostile as you make it out to be. But hey maybe its gotten worse.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:12 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,045,592 times
So then why dont you tell me about the wonderful relationship and close bond shared by the two groups?

Old 12-12-2008, 01:13 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,492,772 times
SuperMario, we already had this conversation about 4 months ago...
Puerto Rican, dislike domincans because they are immigrants back in the Island.
And for some reason people always hate immigrants.
People in P.R. think they are stupid people and joke about them,(almost all jokes are about dominicans and some about nuyoricans down in P.R.). That is because the dominicans that come over to P.R. are the uneducated and poor(of course the rich dont have a need to move). So the people that we see are the worse. And for I can see, this feeling has been pass down to the generation in NYC.
But they dont hate Dominicans or are racist(but we do have racism in P.R. against black puerto ricans)

Old 12-12-2008, 01:15 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
So then why dont you tell me about the wonderful relationship and close bond shared by the two groups?
Dude you exaggerate. No one is saying their is a love fest going on. Of course there are problems. But not everyone is as hateful as you are. Obviously we only hate each other so much, how else can you explain all these Half Black/Half Dominican, Half Pr/half Dominican, half Black/ Half Pr kids running around.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 12-12-2008 at 01:35 PM..

Old 12-12-2008, 01:25 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,929 times
Agreed CJM...

Old 12-12-2008, 02:57 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,159,694 times
I'm Puerto Rican. I have hazel gray eyes, dark brown hair and I'd say I'm light- complected. Because I talk proper english i'm very often asked of my nationality. Our family came from Caguas and we have visited several times. My children are half black/Puerto Rican and have no problems getting along with all nationalities and people with all backgrounds. I made the choice to send them to a magnet school focusing on integrating children of all backgrounds together. They have friends that are Chinese, Italian, Puerto Rican, Dominican, black, Albanian, ect. In their eyes they don't see color or background they see what's inside of the person. I'm proud to have raised them this way. They are also very well of where their roots are. There are certain PR traditions I've upheld since I was growing up. When they spend time on their african american family, there are also honor their traditions and understand both.

I've tried to raise them with the knowledge that no matter where they came from, they can accomplish anything they put their heart and soul into.

I also live in a very diverse area.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:27 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,160 times
^^ And on that positive note, I think it's time to put this thread to bed.

Thanks, all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City