Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:02 PM

8 posts, read 27,761 times

Advertisements

I'm 20, I really want to go this year, but the con's just outweigh the pros:

Pros:
- I get to see my favorite band
- The experience of being in NYC for the first time
- New Years in Times Square would be a crazy good time

Cons:
- $200 round-trip for Amtrak (I don't like buses because I always hear of them breaking down)
- $150-200 for one night in a hotel (I'm guessing because I'm sure people book these things months in advance, and if there are any left that are even remotely close to Times Square, they'll cost an arm and a leg)
- Freezing cold

Also, if any of you have been, can you share your experience? Just want to get a glimpse of what it's like to be there. Thanks a ton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 12:47 PM

91 posts, read 428,834 times
I've never gone just because the crowds would be insane. I've said many times that the only way I would do Times Square is from a hotel balcony or window looking down onto it. Since I imagine those rooms are probably very much in demand and expensive I've not bothered.

edit: what band is playing?

Old 12-09-2008, 01:00 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,967,890 times
You have to get there EARLY. Times Square is also BLOCKED OFF: nobody in/nobody out after a certain time. Not even for a biobreak. I would steer clear.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:08 PM

91 posts, read 428,834 times
Also I believe you need to start getting there at like 4pm and there are no public bathrooms and no drinking. Doesn't sound much like NYE to me I would rather fire up my projector and watch it on the wall at an indoor party.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:16 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,908,683 times
Try getting there line NOON! if you want to be upfront. If you can get inside to one of the live parties its not bad, but outside....Its not worth it IMO!!!!

Unless you can remain in the same spot for close to 12hrs its a Joke really....TV just glitz and glams it up!!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 01:28 PM

1,999 posts, read 5,001,543 times
Default this was fun in 1995,not anymore

I wouldn't bother it is a complete police state down there. The government workers from the ministry of crowd celebrations herd you like sheep and like Viral said bathroom breaks are an issue. The last time I went down there was 2000 and they forced us to walk form 42nd up to 59th just for the hell of it. No glass bottles, pee-pee breaks, no thought crimes, no nothing. You are better off having your own party with your own terms at home than being another sheep in the background of the fake TV party. It is a shame because in the past I had some times that I will remember the rest of my life down there, but those days have been eliminated in the expansion of government control over personal freedom.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:47 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,724,668 times
I was there in '78-'79, '88-'89 and '96-'97. because the 1978 experience was so dangerous(it was loaded with dangerous people) it was also most exciting. After that it was nothing special. But I live in NY. To an out of towner I'm sure it's much more exciting

Old 12-14-2008, 08:14 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,581,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I was there in '78-'79, '88-'89 and '96-'97. because the 1978 experience was so dangerous(it was loaded with dangerous people) it was also most exciting. After that it was nothing special. But I live in NY. To an out of towner I'm sure it's much more exciting
Yep. To an out of towner who doesn't live here year round, I can see how they'd be mesmerized. It's too much of a hassle for natives and we'd prefer to watch it on tv. But if the OP really wants to see it that bad, I say go for it.

And, rl, maybe you can take that Jamaican friend. Dick sometimes plays some rockin' Reggae and she might like that - plus Mom might have a glimpse of your new found love if she watches from Atlanta.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:15 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,164,880 times
I did it once quite a number of years ago. For me personally, it was too many people, it freaked me out being "Trapped" like that in a crowd, and it was freezing outside. However, it's something everyone should do once-

Cheers and welcome 2009 !!!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:22 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,581,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
However, it's something everyone should do once-

Well, sorry to diasagree that everyone should do it once. As much as I love watching it on tv, I've never been in person.

But then again, maybe you're right, and I'm just too timid. Last time someone said what you just said, it was my former girlfriend. I said, no way honey, I've got my principles to live by, and I just hightailed it out of her apartment and never returned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City