Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:51 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,186,541 times

Advertisements

My son recently moved to NYC after graduating college last May and is actively seeking employment, like so many others.

He was recently at an interview where the person said they were looking for someone with "New York Experience" My son asked just what was "New York Experience" in which the guy couldn't give him a definitive answer. So, I'm here asking those of you New Yorkers to chime in - what exactly is considered NYE - and how do you get it if everyone wants it yet no one will give you the opportunity to learn and gain NYE?

Son is an Ivy League grad, so he has brains - not sure about the interviewer.

Thanks for any insight I can pass along to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 08:14 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,063,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
My son recently moved to NYC after graduating college last May and is actively seeking employment, like so many others.

He was recently at an interview where the person said they were looking for someone with "New York Experience" My son asked just what was "New York Experience" in which the guy couldn't give him a definitive answer. So, I'm here asking those of you New Yorkers to chime in - what exactly is considered NYE - and how do you get it if everyone wants it yet no one will give you the opportunity to learn and gain NYE?

Son is an Ivy League grad, so he has brains - not sure about the interviewer.

Thanks for any insight I can pass along to him.
His interviewer has a job-your Ivy League grad son doesn't.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:19 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
He probably basically means he wants someone who has worked before in NY. Working in NY is probably different than working in other cities, particularly business. It's a lot more competitive here. I could be wrong, but I think that's what he means.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:27 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,575,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
He probably basically means he wants someone who has worked before in NY. Working in NY is probably different than working in other cities, particularly business. It's a lot more competitive here. I could be wrong, but I think that's what he means.
Indeed, i think you've got it. Doesn't seem fair to the applicant. Unfortunately with the economy the way it is they've got everyone seeking employment bent over a barrel.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:31 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
That's true. It's more competitive now than ever. I know when I was looking for a teaching job 2 years ago (when the economy wasn't nearly this bad), they liked seeing applicants who did their student teaching in NYC. It gave me an edge over the other applicants and probably helped me get a job. That's what they probably mean by NY experience.

Employers also tend to favor those living in NY over those who are applying from other areas. I'm not really sure why. Maybe because they need to wait for that person to relocate?

To the OP--where are you guys from?

Old 12-07-2008, 08:49 AM

It's a catch 22, but I know it doesn't occur across the board. To be sure, recruiters sometimes seek applicants from outside the area. What's the field that your son is applying in?

Old 12-07-2008, 08:51 AM

283 posts, read 1,072,485 times
Yeah, what "New York Experience" means probably varies by the industry. If he's applying for entry-level jobs, as it sounds like he probably is, they may mean they want someone who has interned for a New York company in that industry? Whatever the guy meant by "New York Experience," though, I'm sure he could have learned just from reading your son's resume that he didn't have "it," which makes bringing it up in the job interview unfair, to say the least.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiecupdrinking View Post
Yeah, what "New York Experience" means probably varies by the industry. If he's applying for entry-level jobs, as it sounds like he probably is, they may mean they want someone who has interned for a New York company in that industry? Whatever the guy meant by "New York Experience," though, I'm sure he could have learned just from reading your son's resume that he didn't have "it," which makes bringing it up in the job interview unfair, to say the least.
Good point. Again unfortunately interviewers have all the power. There's always the unseemly situation where he/she was looking for an opening to disqualfy the applicant because he/she was "looking for an excuse" after meeting the son.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:03 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,828 times
NY Experience is being the child of a well connected individual, or being a friend of the child of a well connected individual, or being a well connected individual

That is basically what it means

The NY Experience is networking like a gold-digger

Old 12-07-2008, 12:01 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
NY Experience is being the child of a well connected individual, or being a friend of the child of a well connected individual, or being a well connected individual

That is basically what it means

The NY Experience is networking like a gold-digger
Frankly, this is most likely*the correct answer.

Looking for entry-level jobs is tough in NYC. I did it about a year and a half ago and I'm sure it's only harder now. I've got lots of sympathy for the OP's son. If he is living here already, then he does have one leg up, at least; I was living with my parents in Mass. and traveling down for interviews. Because just about every 22-year-old liberal arts college grad thinks he or she wants to move to New York, people took me even less seriously because I didn't live here yet. Ultimately, it did take networking to get my current job... no real high-level connections or anything, but a friend already worked there and could vouch that I was serious about moving and committing to the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City