Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:56 AM

486 posts, read 983,656 times

Advertisements

Hello again everyone!
I'm in the process of looking for a house to buy and I have been considering Morris Park, Pelham Gardens, Pelham Pwy and Williamsbridge/Wakefield. Any of you live in these areas or would recommend one over the other?
I went to Morris Park and Pelham Gardens last weekend and liked them both, but I have never lived in any of these areas and would like some insight.
Also I'm a little confused where these neighborhoods ends or begin, does anyone know?
Any streets to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 12:27 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,407 times
I'd recommend Morris Park hands down. It is not too isolated from public transportation. You might have to take a bus to head to the subway or walk a little bit.

Pelham Gardens is way too isolated from Public transportation. You would only have the Bx12, 26, and 31 buses. As for Williamsbridge and Wakefield, they are not too good, especially at nights.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:52 PM

What would the area where Wilson Avenue & Adee ave are be considered? (north of Pelham PWY and south of Gun Hill Rd/ east of Boston Rd and west of Eastcheser Rd) Would that be part of Pelham Gardens? I don't think is north enough to be Baychester but is not south enough to still be part of Indian Village/Morris Park and is not east enough to be part of Pelham Pwy.
I went to Hering Avenue by Morris Park Avenue (Indian Village/Morris Park) and Wilson Avenue close to Adee Ave (Which I think is part of Pelham Gardens but I could be wrong). The house on Wilson was close to the train (5) and bus (BX 28), the one in Morris Park just like you said it was close to the 21 bus but the train was not walking distance. (Or at least 10-15 minutes away by foot).

Old 01-28-2009, 01:09 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
GF1025,I live in the area and recently went through the process that you are going through so i might be able to help.I was looking for an apartment and you are looking for a house so that might make a difference.

Boundaries:
Pelham Parkway-The strict definition is Bronx Park on the East,Pelham Parkway on the North and the 5 train tracks running from northeast to southwest.It is triangular in shape.Psychologically,Pelham Parkway the neighborhood goes North of Pelham Parkway to about Waring Avenue and then over to Williamsbridge Road. This is the most urban of the neighborhoods with a lot of apartment buildings,a lot of conveniences,a lot of shopping 2 subway lines,Express bus,etc.Not that many detatched houses in comparison to the others.

Morris Park-The East boundary line is around the 5 train tracks(Morris Park stop) and runs from Pelham Parkway down to Morris Park Avenue.The Northern boundary is Pelham Parkway itself and the line runs East to the hospitals ( Jacobi) which is at eastchester Rd.The East boundary is Eastchester Rd running Southwest back to Williamsbridge Rd.

Pelham Gardens-Williamsbridge Road on the East,Mace avenue on the North,
Gun Hill Road on the West and Pelham Parkway on the south.

The lines of all of these neighborhoods kind of bleed together at the intersection of Pelham Parkway and Williamsbridge Rd.
In general,this whole area has one of the lowest crime rates in The Bronx(in the whole city for that matter).The only problem areas are right around The Pelham Parkway Houses( North of the Parkway and just to the West of Williamsbridge Rd. This is actually one of the best projects in the whole city and it is not that bad but it is still a project.I don't think you want to buy across the street.

The commercial strip on White Plains Road under the el seems to make some people a little nervous-I guess especially in the middle of the night but It doesn't bother me at all.Then again I am not there at 1:00 am.
The whole area north of these neighborhoods,North of Allerton Ave let's say, does make me a little nervous -sometimes more than a little.

A lot depends on your price range and what you are looking for.Pelham Gardens is very pretty and is probably a hidden gem of NYC housing.Nice brick houses with nice yards,nice streets,etc but it is a little more expensive and suburban.No really convenient shopping and not good transportation unless you live right near one of the 5 stops and even then the 5 is not great off peak.Very ,very nice neighborhood though.Still overwhelmingly Italian.Practically no crime and good schools.

As I said earlier the Pelham Parkway neighborhood is the opposite in some respects.It is mostly apartment houses and much fewer detatched houses.A lot of the apartment buildings in this neighborhood are coop so there is a lot of stability,however.There is a lot of shopping,2 subway lines,access to the Park with the Botanical Garden and Bronx Zoo.It is a very polyglot,urban spot with about 40% Hispanic,30% White non hispanic,20% black and 10 % asian.The array of shops,bakeries grocery stores ,etc is great.It used to be a very Jewish and Italian neighborhood and there are a lot of them still there so you have Kosher butchers and bakeries next to Italian Bakeries next to Albanian restaurants,etc.A very diverse population

Morris Park seems to be a combination of the two.Mostly single family houses, a healthy number of apartment buildings on the corners.Kind of a mixed neighborhood but still probably the biggest minority is Italian and White.Still a strong Italian ethnic feel to the restaurants and shops through most of the neighborhood.Better transportation options than Pelhan Gardens but not as convenient as in Pelham Parkway.

On the whole ,all of these neighborhoods are pretty good places to live and there aren't too many problems.It really depends on what you are looking for.I chose Pelham Parkway because I love the diversity and the more urban feel and conveniences and I don't want a car.You may have other priorities

Old 01-28-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
I'd recommend Morris Park hands down. It is not too isolated from public transportation. You might have to take a bus to head to the subway or walk a little bit.

Pelham Gardens is way too isolated from Public transportation. You would only have the Bx12, 26, and 31 buses. As for Williamsbridge and Wakefield, they are not too good, especially at nights.
What coatb says about Wakefield and Williamsbridge is what I was referring to when I said that it made me a little nervous north of Allerton.It can get pretty bad up there ,especially around upper White Plains Road and west from there.I concur with him.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:15 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
What would the area where Wilson Avenue & Adee ave are be considered? (north of Pelham PWY and south of Gun Hill Rd/ east of Boston Rd and west of Eastcheser Rd) Would that be part of Pelham Gardens? I don't think is north enough to be Baychester but is not south enough to still be part of Indian Village/Morris Park and is not east enough to be part of Pelham Pwy.
I went to Hering Avenue by Morris Park Avenue (Indian Village/Morris Park) and Wilson Avenue close to Adee Ave (Which I think is part of Pelham Gardens but I could be wrong). The house on Wilson was close to the train (5) and bus (BX 28), the one in Morris Park just like you said it was close to the 21 bus but the train was not walking distance. (Or at least 10-15 minutes away by foot).
Wilson and Adee is Pelham Gardens indeed, the part near the Eastchester Gardens Housing Projects.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Wilson and Adee is Pelham Gardens indeed, the part near the Eastchester Gardens Housing Projects.
Exactly right again.This is why in my original post I sort of cut the boundary of Pelham Gardens at Mace Avenue.It gets iffy above Allerton on the Pelham Parkway part of the neighborhood and Mace on the Pelham Gardens side.Even if you cross Mace,don't cross Allerton. Other problems and projects up there and they are not nice projects like Pelham Parkway Houses.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
GF1025,I live in the area and recently went through the process that you are going through so i might be able to help.I was looking for an apartment and you are looking for a house so that might make a difference.

Boundaries:
Pelham Parkway-The strict definition is Bronx Park on the East,Pelham Parkway on the North and the 5 train tracks running from northeast to southwest.It is triangular in shape.Psychologically,Pelham Parkway the neighborhood goes North of Pelham Parkway to about Waring Avenue and then over to Williamsbridge Road. This is the most urban of the neighborhoods with a lot of apartment buildings,a lot of conveniences,a lot of shopping 2 subway lines,Express bus,etc.Not that many detatched houses in comparison to the others.

Morris Park-The East boundary line is around the 5 train tracks(Morris Park stop) and runs from Pelham Parkway down to Morris Park Avenue.The Northern boundary is Pelham Parkway itself and the line runs East to the hospitals ( Jacobi) which is at eastchester Rd.The East boundary is Eastchester Rd running Southwest back to Williamsbridge Rd.

Pelham Gardens-Williamsbridge Road on the East,Mace avenue on the North,
Gun Hill Road on the West and Pelham Parkway on the south.

The lines of all of these neighborhoods kind of bleed together at the intersection of Pelham Parkway and Williamsbridge Rd.
In general,this whole area has one of the lowest crime rates in The Bronx(in the whole city for that matter).The only problem areas are right around The Pelham Parkway Houses( North of the Parkway and just to the West of Williamsbridge Rd. This is actually one of the best projects in the whole city and it is not that bad but it is still a project.I don't think you want to buy across the street.

The commercial strip on White Plains Road under the el seems to make some people a little nervous-I guess especially in the middle of the night but It doesn't bother me at all.Then again I am not there at 1:00 am.
The whole area north of these neighborhoods,North of Allerton Ave let's say, does make me a little nervous -sometimes more than a little.

A lot depends on your price range and what you are looking for.Pelham Gardens is very pretty and is probably a hidden gem of NYC housing.Nice brick houses with nice yards,nice streets,etc but it is a little more expensive and suburban.No really convenient shopping and not good transportation unless you live right near one of the 5 stops and even then the 5 is not great off peak.Very ,very nice neighborhood though.Still overwhelmingly Italian.Practically no crime and good schools.

As I said earlier the Pelham Parkway neighborhood is the opposite in some respects.It is mostly apartment houses and much fewer detatched houses.A lot of the apartment buildings in this neighborhood are coop so there is a lot of stability,however.There is a lot of shopping,2 subway lines,access to the Park with the Botanical Garden and Bronx Zoo.It is a very polyglot,urban spot with about 40% Hispanic,30% White non hispanic,20% black and 10 % asian.The array of shops,bakeries grocery stores ,etc is great.It used to be a very Jewish and Italian neighborhood and there are a lot of them still there so you have Kosher butchers and bakeries next to Italian Bakeries next to Albanian restaurants,etc.A very diverse population

Morris Park seems to be a combination of the two.Mostly single family houses, a healthy number of apartment buildings on the corners.Kind of a mixed neighborhood but still probably the biggest minority is Italian and White.Still a strong Italian ethnic feel to the restaurants and shops through most of the neighborhood.Better transportation options than Pelhan Gardens but not as convenient as in Pelham Parkway.

On the whole ,all of these neighborhoods are pretty good places to live and there aren't too many problems.It really depends on what you are looking for.I chose Pelham Parkway because I love the diversity and the more urban feel and conveniences and I don't want a car.You may have other priorities
So you were considering the same neighborhoods, cool!! I found both Pelham and Morris park almost by mistake. Originally I was looking at Wakefield because is so close to the train, but the areas closer to the train aren't very attractive and there are parts that make be quite nervous, actually. My price range is on the lower end. The reason why I wasn't even considering Pelham Gardens or Morris Park in the beginning is because they were out of reach, now since the prices have come down a bit I can afford some of them. I might need to buy a house that needs repairs but like they say: Location, Location, Location!! I'm better off going with a nice neighborhood even if I need to put in some touches to my new home.
I love diversity so that wouldn't be a problem. I just like the feel or a subburb while having the City conviniences.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Found them, wow they are like 2 blocks away from the house. I would've never guessed.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Exactly right again.This is why in my original post I sort of cut the boundary of Pelham Gardens at Mace Avenue.It gets iffy above Allerton on the Pelham Parkway part of the neighborhood and Mace on the Pelham Gardens side.Even if you cross Mace,don't cross Allerton. Other problems and projects up there and they are not nice projects like Pelham Parkway Houses.
Thanks for the boundaries and Heads up! So stay south of both Allerton and Mace?
Any other streets to avoid?

Last edited by gf1025; 01-28-2009 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City