Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 15,781 times

Advertisements

I've seen a lot of posts on the different areas, but I have more of a specific question. Does anyone know about the area of Forest Hills Gardens? I've done all of the internet research I could. But I am looking for a 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, or Junior 4 rental. It can be a house or apartment...but I'm really in love with the Forest Hill Gardens. Does anyone have any idea if I could find a rental in this area for under 2000 a month?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 02:07 PM

43,682 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Forest Hills Gardens is considered an expensive area of mainly private homes. So the rents are bound to be high there.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:10 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,576,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoodri View Post
I've seen a lot of posts on the different areas, but I have more of a specific question. Does anyone know about the area of Forest Hills Gardens? I've done all of the internet research I could. But I am looking for a 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, or Junior 4 rental. It can be a house or apartment...but I'm really in love with the Forest Hill Gardens. Does anyone have any idea if I could find a rental in this area for under 2000 a month?

Thanks!
probaby a one bedroom or junior 4.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 14,742 times
Parker Towers, Yellowstone and Queens Blvd. It is very close to FH gardens. I friend of mine has lived there for years. Just make sure you research it carefully, my friend says the place has declined quite a bit over the past few years. She is looking to move out now.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:08 PM

93 posts, read 308,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoodri View Post

Thanks!
I live in a second floor walkup that is tiny even by manhattan standards. its 1400 a month for a converted 2 bedroom, and its nowhere near the train.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:03 AM

27 posts, read 117,467 times
I have lived in the Gardens (on the Greenway, near the F.H. tennis courts) for most of my adult life and I can say with certainty that the rents are far higher here than in other sections of Forest Hills. In my building (pre-war) a 1 bedroom will fetch $1800 and higher (although that is only this building and not a reflection of prices throughout). That being said, the entire town area has charm, beauty, convenience and a strong sense of community. If you look just a few blocks away from the Gardens or on the other side of Queens Blvd the rents will be lower and if you look just a few blocks west in Rego Park the savings will be substantially lower. Kew Gardens (one stop east ) is a lovely and quieter town but still within walking distance of the Austin Street action in F.H. Look around... take a long walk (it's not a big town) from Yellowstone Blvd. to Union Tpke will take 20 minutes (but, what a beautiful 20 minute walk it is) and notice the small residential buildings that dot the area... ask questions of the residents and shop keepers. Several real estate offices are in the town square (LIRR station) and there are still more on 69th Ave near the tennis courts.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:18 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,576,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2or3 View Post
I have lived in the Gardens (on the Greenway, near the F.H. tennis courts) for most of my adult life and I can say with certainty that the rents are far higher here than in other sections of Forest Hills. In my building (pre-war) a 1 bedroom will fetch $1800 and higher (although that is only this building and not a reflection of prices throughout). That being said, the entire town area has charm, beauty, convenience and a strong sense of community. If you look just a few blocks away from the Gardens or on the other side of Queens Blvd the rents will be lower and if you look just a few blocks west in Rego Park the savings will be substantially lower. Kew Gardens (one stop east ) is a lovely and quieter town but still within walking distance of the Austin Street action in F.H. Look around... take a long walk (it's not a big town) from Yellowstone Blvd. to Union Tpke will take 20 minutes (but, what a beautiful 20 minute walk it is) and notice the small residential buildings that dot the area... ask questions of the residents and shop keepers. Several real estate offices are in the town square (LIRR station) and there are still more on 69th Ave near the tennis courts.

I share your appreciation for the beauty of Forest Hills Gardens. To be sure, for me personally, it would be a fantasy to own a home there. Regarding rental prices and your analysis of neighboring Rego Park and Kew Gardens, I think you're right on the money.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:22 PM

8,697 posts, read 11,089,464 times
I grew up in FHG the better part of my life

yes I think you can find what you are looking for (1 bedroom, unlikely a 2 bedroom). There is a big drawback. Most of the apartments in FHG are up against the railroads (LIRR). Walk around there & will know what I am referring to.

Also there are only 3 realtys that specialized in FHG. Of course there could be other brokers. If you need the name PM me & I will give you more information. good luck

Old 02-11-2009, 02:27 PM

174 posts, read 622,860 times
rego park has declined a lot. I have lived there for years, my husband was born and lived on 62nd right off the woodhaven blvd.
we know many people who got shot over the years on the boulevard. It's nice during the day but all the bugs crowl out at night. be aware

Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 15,781 times
Is Kew Gardens close to public transportation? I don't have a car, and will need to get to Manhattan in a reasonable amount of time. Is it a safe area as well? (Safe meaning lots of family, small children....an area comfortable enough for someone to raise a family in)

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City