Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:26 PM

718 posts, read 2,324,904 times

Advertisements

This is the dumbest thing yet. The name Triborough Bridge is not only tradition in New York but its also common sense, it gets you to one of three boroughs.

So why would you change it to the Robert F Kennedy Bridge?

The Robert F Kennedy foundation is going to "pay for a campaign urging people to use the new name, including 1,400 ads in subways and 3,400 in buses". Amidst a poor economy, we have nonsense (yes I am aware its private money) spending such as this. Its one thing to pay for the name, the way Citi did for the new Mets stadium. Its another thing to spend money to advertise a new name. That is quite possibly the biggest waste of money of all time. Does this organization really think people are going to stop calling it the Triborough bridge?

MTA erasing all signs of 'Triborough' on Robert F. Kennedy Bridge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 08:34 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,475 times
what has RFK done for NYC?

is he even a NYer?

I thought the kennedy's were from boston, isnt that the rival of NYC?

who are they paying to money to Bloomberg?

Old 11-07-2008, 08:38 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
what has RFK done for NYC?

is he even a NYer?

I thought the kennedy's were from boston, isnt that the rival of NYC?

who are they paying to money to Bloomberg?
Read your history! Robert F. Kennedy, Sr. was the senator from New York when he was assassinated. Yes, the family hails from the Boston area, but they also lived in Riverdale and Bronxville.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:49 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,865 times
Don't see what's the big deal. I know some people who still call the Jackie Robinson the Interboro. And like mentioned, it's private money, not public. Albeit it's probably going to confuse motorists who rely on the name only and not the exit #, but eventually it'll catch on. Word is that the Port Authority is looking for a sponsor for their bus terminal. "Next stop, the McDonald's-42nd St. Bus Terminal". Imagine that.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:10 PM

718 posts, read 2,324,904 times
Yes its private money but who spends money advertising a name change? It is a waste of money and are they that insecure that nobody is going to use the name? We will see it on the new highway signs, so we dont need some new billboard to say "spew Robert F Kennedy Bridge out of your mouth the next time you give directions, its the hip new thing to do".

Why dont they go set up a scholarship fund or something useful?

Old 11-08-2008, 06:39 AM

842 posts, read 4,308,695 times
Well, all I know is that my family, my children, and my grandchildren will always call it the Triboro

Old 11-08-2008, 10:19 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
Default I notice that...

when i take my yearly drives to Atlanta from NY, many of the bridges and interstates like in Md and Ga are named after people--I 95 in Md is the JFK Memorial Hwy, you have the Francis Scott key bridge (I 695), the Ft McHenry tunnel (I 95) in Baltimore; in Ga I 85 going to Atlanta is the Ernest Vandiver Hwy, I'm sure I forgot others along the route, our local Cross County Pkwy in Westchester is now the Don and Tony Di Matteo Pkwy

maybe NY is starting a tradition like they are in other states?

I'll bet that could confuse those who come to NY infrequently--one day they are looking for signs to the Triboro Bridge, next time they may not see Triboro but instead Kennedy bridge and wonder what happened

Old 11-08-2008, 12:36 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,161 times
Talking Maybe???

In several places I have seen roads renamed......for what-ever the reason might be......but what I have noticed is when they rename the street/bridge/etc...they now include the old name of the street/bridge......so perhaps the new signs might read...John F Kennedy Bridge...formerly the Triboro Bridge......so when we give directions we will be able to still use the Triboro Bridge....but I wonder how long it will take for those GPS units to catch up......

Old 11-08-2008, 01:09 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
There was an article in the Daily News about this on Friday. The powers-that-be seem to think that their outrageously expensive advertising (and sign-changing) campaign is going to result in success. You might think they'd learn from past experience; 6 Avenue in Manhattan officially became "Avenue of the Americas" in 1964. Forty-four years later, and it's still mostly only tourists who use the official designation.

And you can find similar examples everywhere else around town. When was the last time anyone gave directions to Cristoforo Colombo Avenue in Brooklyn? (Probably because virtually everyone who lives here doesn't know anything about that. But say 18 Avenue--well, now you're talkin'!)

Old 11-08-2008, 03:37 PM

726 posts, read 2,268,746 times
The name change isn't that bad. Its honoring someone.
Like someone else said, I still call the Jackie expressway both Interboro, and 'the Jackie'. I'm sure people will still call it Triboro....I know I will.
But they gotta understand some people will get confused. A name change too late...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City