Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 02:25 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
No it is not, Morningside Heights. Morningside Heights starts at 110th and the West side of the Street on Manhattan Ave. Goes west to Riverside Drive, the Northern Boundary is W. 125th St going from Riverside Drive to the West side of Manhattan Ave.

Manhattanville is the area north of 125th from St Nicholas over to Riverside Drive 125th to 135th. North of that is Hamilton Heights.
I live two blocks west of the area, but I have a close friend that lived on Columbus and 105th for 30 years who once said the area is called Manhattanville. Will ask around..

I've never thought of Morningside Heights going so far west. I always think of the neighborhood on Riverside Dr starting around 110th and going all the way uptown as the "Columbia Area". Never heard it being referred to as Morningside Heights but who knows..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 07:03 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWS Cowboy View Post
The first few days I moved here I went to sit on a bench by the park at 105th st. I saw an enormous raccoon crawling down the tree casually, then going up a park bench and into the bushes.

there are raccoons all around my area, i had 2 giant fat ones walk down the side walk with me the other day on 110th b/t 5th and lenox

Old 03-02-2009, 07:05 AM

6 posts, read 21,191 times
Quote:
Hi guys, I just wanted to start a topic on Manhattan Valley, a hidden gem of a neighborhood above 96th street and below 111th street. I have lived here since October and it is without question the only place in Manhattan I am completely happy living in. It's quiet, diverse, and safe... At least, I haven't had any close calls yet. It doesn't have the "trendy" and commercial feel of most neighborhoods below 59th st, and after moving here I don't see how I functioned when living on 34th street. I will add pictures within the next day, in fact I think I may take some tomorrow morning as it's supposed to snow a good deal tonight. http://nicolaedabija.com/mycookie/37/1235034635/smile.gif (broken link)
You are definitely right. I also had some pleasant experiences there

Cindy

Old 03-02-2009, 08:22 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
I live two blocks west of the area, but I have a close friend that lived on Columbus and 105th for 30 years who once said the area is called Manhattanville. Will ask around..

I've never thought of Morningside Heights going so far west. I always think of the neighborhood on Riverside Dr starting around 110th and going all the way uptown as the "Columbia Area". Never heard it being referred to as Morningside Heights but who knows..
I used to mix the names up myself Manhattanville and Manhattan Valley. I always just thought of the area below W 110th as just the UWS, and the Manhattanville area as West Harlem. Technically they are part of those neighborhoods.

"The Columbia area" is Morningside Heights. "The Columbia area" will extend soon into Manhattanville. They are building more of their campus there.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:40 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
What area is Manhattan Valley? You are talking about 96-111 like around Columbus? Thats pretty far west, the area is not really mostly hispanic. There are some projects on Amsterdam. maybe thats what you are talking about

Quelinda- i thought Manhattanville was further up?
Columbus Ave between 97th street and 110th street is not mostly spanish?? That's all it originally was. Now its been gentrified but tons of spanish people continue to live around there (certainly far more than the number of white folks), though many African-Americans live on 109th street and in the projects (Douglas) which go between Manhattan Ave and Amsterdam from 97th St to 104th St. But huney there is a reason there is about 2 Dominican hair salons on every single block on Columbus starting around 104th and going to 109th LOL. Amersterdam also has this same environment and is also mostly spanish/latino/hispanic (whateva you wanna call it).

As far as the name of the area, I'm just going by what my ex said it was called and he grew up there his whole life. Too bad he moved to the BX.. LOL

Old 03-02-2009, 12:53 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Columbus Ave between 97th street and 110th street is not mostly spanish?? That's all it originally was. Now its been gentrified but tons of spanish people continue to live around there (certainly far more than the number of white folks), though many African-Americans live on 109th street and in the projects (Douglas) which go between Manhattan Ave and Amsterdam from 97th St to 104th St. But huney there is a reason there is about 2 Dominican hair salons on every single block on Columbus starting around 104th and going to 109th LOL. Amersterdam also has this same environment and is also mostly spanish/latino/hispanic (whateva you wanna call it).

As far as the name of the area, I'm just going by what my ex said it was called and he grew up there his whole life. Too bad he moved to the BX.. LOL
Yes this is all true. The area of is mostly Latin from Central Park West to Amsterdam, going West from Amsterdam is more diverse. There are Dominican Salons, Barber shops, Butchers, hardware stores, and many Latin Restaurants and Bars. It is not that gentrified yet because most of the housing is section 8, or other affordable housing, Mitchell Lama coops. The Black people also live in these in types of housing along with Latins, Middle Easterners, and Asians. The projects that you are referring to is also becoming more diverse, however still mostly Black and Latin.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,520 times
Cool Crack house, not

Quote:
Thanks, I checked it out. Sounded like a war zone. I've heard horror stories about what Manhattan Valley used to be like in the 80's and even the 90s. The projects on 103rd street being crack houses and what not. (I live a wee 2 blocks away). That's the only real ugly spot in the neighborhood, but even there I don't feel unsafe just passing by. Definitely keep looking over my shoulder though. I find that CPW and Manhattan are the safest Avenues along with everything from Broadway to Riverside. Columbus is pretty good, Amsterdam is ok but can be a bit shady at times. Riverside Drive actually seems very nice all the way up into Harlem, at least up to 125th street where I went once.
Every neighborhood was a war zone in NYC in the 70's, 80's and 90's...but as a resident living in the PROJECTS on 103 Street, i have to say that I've seen improved changes. The area being an ugly spot in the neighborhood,,,I think not. Crack houses',,,,yea at one point in time. Now, I don't think so. Drugs are still being dealt and done in individual apartments within the projects i'm sure. But at the same time, there are tons of wealthy individuals living in upscale neighborhoods on Park Avenue, 5th Avenue, Madison Avenue, Broadway, Riverside etc. who deal and also do some heavy and expensive drugs in there million dollar apartments. What the difference??? not much except that the wealthy pay to get professional delivery.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:13 AM

2 posts, read 6,318 times
Default 90th & Central Park West

My wife and I looking at an apartment at 90th and Central Park West. It seems really nice, but there are some projects around there starting at 90th/91st between Columbus & Amsterdam and going north and west. Is anyone familiar with the safety in that area?

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:15 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
It's fine. Not a problem.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:34 AM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WP179 View Post
My wife and I looking at an apartment at 90th and Central Park West. It seems really nice, but there are some projects around there starting at 90th/91st between Columbus & Amsterdam and going north and west. Is anyone familiar with the safety in that area?

Thanks for your help.
This block is not in the Manhattan Valley section. This section is just the UWS. There is a small project development there between Amsterdam and Columbus. The area is pretty nice overall and convenient to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City