Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,658 times

Advertisements

Hello I recieved a ticket today for parking 10' from a fire hydrant...i got a tape measurer and took all sorts of pictures - I was actually 14' away - not even close. The guy behind me was 12' away and did not get a ticket.

Can I fight this ticket based on incorrect information?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,158 times
Can I get an advice on how to fight a towed vehicle. My car got towed today. I have a fracture in my foot and could not get to the car on time. Do I have any chance to fight the 185 + the other charges? I understand if I leave the car for another day, it will be 20 dollars more per day. How and where can I dispute? will they give me the car without payment or I leave it in pond and keep fighting.
Please advice anyone!

Old 02-02-2014, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,115 times
Talking Two parking tickets in less than one hours in NYC

Hello:
My son parked his car on 336 W 46th St NYC. He deposited $15.00 in the meter at 2:51 pm for 3 hrs. When he returned his car was towed. Yesterday I received a letter from NYC Department of Finance with two parking violations Code 31 - No Std Com Mtr Zone at the same location. The first ticket was issued at 3:01pm, the second at 3:32pm.The towing occurred at 3:48 pm and the summons listed on the receipt is for the second violation. I don’t have the original tickets so I made copies from their website. The Complainant’s Comments on the first violation stated: Fine amount $115.00 and on the second violation said No permit Fine amount $115.00. Can I request a dismissal of the second ticket and only pay for the first ticket? We are from NJ. Please help. Thanks. Gaby

Last edited by gabs03; 02-02-2014 at 02:19 PM..

Old 02-07-2014, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,096 times
I parked my car on available parking space which I did not see any illegal signs or anything. There was a snow storms like 3 days before I got the ticket and the sidewalks were pilled up with snow. The place I parked the car at had fire hydrant which was not visible at the time I parked the car. I did not see no fire hydrant. However, when I came back a ticket was placed on my car. I went to court the judge claimed guilty without telling the reason for it. Is there any other way to fight this ticket??? Can anyone let me know please ASAP!! My email is [email]jake_caro@yahoo.com[/email] Thank you for your time.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:45 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Fighting a parking ticket is pretty much useless in NYC. Best you can hope for is a reduction but rarely do judges dismiss a ticket unless there is cause such in it was written improperly.

On any given day traffic courts are packed with persons armed with all sorts of computer data, pictures, witness statements, etc.... and time and time again the judge will say *no*, I'm not having it. That or again the fine is reduced. It comes down to how much your time is worth to spend it hanging around traffic court.

Companies like UPS, FedEx, Time Warner, Verizon, and so forth, anyone that drives a vehicle into NYC all know the drill. They rack up vast numbers of tickets then negotiate with the City to pay a percentage on the dollar.

Say you want to fight a hydrant ticket. Well the law says you should be "fifteen feet" from the thing. Well who is measuring those feet? How does the judge know you didn't move the car further from the hydrant *after* the ticket was issued then take a picture?

And so it goes.

If you own a vehicle in certain parts of NYC especially Manhattan a certain number of tickets per year are just a cost of doing business. Even if you don't own but drive often enough (rental, ZipCar, etc...) the law of averages will catch up with you sooner or later.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:53 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Yes bluedog, that's why you should only dispute a ticket if (a) you're in the right and telling the truth or (b) the ticket has incorrect or missing information. (b) used to work like a charm when they were filling out the ticket by hand, but there are far fewer errors now that they are using the hand held.

I dont agree with mathjak that what you say at the scene of a traffic incident cannot be used against you. Of course it can. That will add to the "clear and convincing evidence" against you at the hearing. The judge will say, hmmmmmn, at the scene you said "x" but now you think "y" happened? So either you can (a) lie and commit perjury by stating that you did not admit to the incident at the scene and the officer is lying or (b) you can say you now remember better. The judge may believe you over the officer, but most people dont have the nerve or ethics to lie outright under penalties of perjury. And the judge will not believe (b) so you will lose the hearing in that event. I just went to traffic court yesterday for a cell phone while driving charge so this is all very fresh in my mind..

are you saying the judge believed you that you were not on a cell phone ? I find that difficult to believe

Old 02-10-2014, 11:54 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Yes bluedog, that's why you should only dispute a ticket if (a) you're in the right and telling the truth or (b) the ticket has incorrect or missing information. (b) used to work like a charm when they were filling out the ticket by hand, but there are far fewer errors now that they are using the hand held.

I dont agree with mathjak that what you say at the scene of a traffic incident cannot be used against you. Of course it can. That will add to the "clear and convincing evidence" against you at the hearing. The judge will say, hmmmmmn, at the scene you said "x" but now you think "y" happened? So either you can (a) lie and commit perjury by stating that you did not admit to the incident at the scene and the officer is lying or (b) you can say you now remember better. The judge may believe you over the officer, but most people dont have the nerve or ethics to lie outright under penalties of perjury. And the judge will not believe (b) so you will lose the hearing in that event. I just went to traffic court yesterday for a cell phone while driving charge so this is all very fresh in my mind..

are you saying the judge believed you that you were not on a cell phone ? I find that difficult to believe
and if not why did you even bother going if you were guilty ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City