Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:48 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times

Advertisements

It only took me 10 seconds.

Dated : 11/27/2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Soundview is not the worst neighborhood in NYC. Not even close. The area of western Soundview, by Hunts Point, is terrible. But not any worst than Hunts Point, Mott Haven, Morrisania etc........... However, the eastern part of Soundview is really nice. So it can never get the title "worst neighborhood" from me.
Describe Soundview in the Bronx?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 01:48 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I don't disagree with the map...I QUESTION where they got their information from...you should too. The scores do not look spot on to me, and when you test the website and put in MUCH better neighborhoods either in NYC, or around the country, you will note that there are many that come back with higher crime rates than the Bronx!!! I am still waiting for you to tell me whether you KNOW where they get their data and how it is compiled....I know where the NYC Crime stats come from...but you don't believe those...but why would you.....they show crime is going down..and that can't be right.....huh?

Old 03-24-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I don't disagree with the map...I QUESTION where they got their information from...you should too. The scores do not look spot on to me, and when you test the website and put in MUCH better neighborhoods either in NYC, or around the country, you will note that there are many that come back with higher crime rates than the Bronx!!! I am still waiting for you to tell me whether you KNOW where they get their data and how it is compiled....I know where the NYC Crime stats come from...but you don't believe those...but why would you.....they show crime is going down..and that can't be right.....huh?
The Bronx is not the worst county in the country in terms of crime. There are alot of counties that are worse. That is why you have other neighborhoods that come out worse. For example, Buffalo and Syracuse in Upstate have much more crime than NYC. But when I look at the city, and compare sections of the city to other sections, the crime ratings are accurate. I can only do this with NYC because it is what I am much more familiar with. We all knew that Morrisania had terrible parts to it. Furthermore, we knew Riverdale had the safest hoods.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:09 PM

Agreed..but the website is by particular neighborhoods..and it does not work when you put in other neighborhoods. If you were more familiar with communities outside of the Bronx, you would have a better concept of their relative crime as compared to the Bronx/neighborhoods in the Bronx. The website is suspect.. I want to know WHERE/HOW they get their data...everyone should ask that question before lending any credibility to the website...but seems that nobody has that answer.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-24-2009 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: Not necessary -- thanks.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:11 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Quote:
For example, Buffalo and Syracuse in Upstate have much more crime than NYC.
I am very eager to see what data you have for this statement. If you're using this "data" as your source, you should find another. As much you as may like the Neighborhood Scout site, it's not reliable. I've put in Skaneateles, NY and Cazenovia, NY - two lakefront villages well known across the country for being peaceful, picturesque, and very expensive - and they're rated at a 20 and 34. There are *NO* surrounding areas that would bring their stats down like that... it's nothing but quiet, rolling countryside. Their data cannot be based upon fact.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I am very eager to see what data you have for this statement. If you're using this "data" as your source, you should find another. As much you as may like the Neighborhood Scout site, it's not reliable. I've put in Skaneateles, NY and Cazenovia, NY - two lakefront villages well known across the country for being peaceful, picturesque, and very expensive - and they're rated at a 20 and 34. There are *NO* surrounding areas that would bring their stats down like that... it's nothing but quiet, rolling countryside. Their data cannot be based upon fact.
Umm it is a well know fact that Buffalo is more dangerous than NYC. Buffalo is one of the most dangerous cities in the country. Just look at any top ten list.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:16 PM

Thanks proulxfamily..as I stated..when you input the data from other areas outside of NYC it makes no sense..which is why I am questioning where/how they get their data. Clearly there is something wrong...so as a result I cannot lend any credibility to this website...and others should not either. And why should we when we have ACTUAL NYC Crime stats to rely on...I would use the NYC Crime stats as a FAR BETTER crime gauge than this random website....but hey...that's just me!

Old 03-24-2009, 02:53 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Quote:
Umm it is a well know fact that Buffalo is more dangerous than NYC. Buffalo is one of the most dangerous cities in the country. Just look at any top ten list.
You also included Syracuse in your "well known fact." Do you have the data to support that? I'm not a fan of Buffalo so there's no need to look that up, if you don't want to, but I am partial to my hometown of Syracuse. So yeah, I take offense when someone tells me that it's more dangerous than NYC. I live here- I used to visit the Bronx twice a month to visit an old boyfriend and his mother on Fordham Hill Oval - and I just don't see how your assertion is true.

And "ummmm, it is a well known fact" isn't a source.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:04 PM

214 posts, read 1,005,325 times
I live in President Street between PPW and 8th Ave in Brooklyn. The score for this area is 82/100. The shaded region seems to indicate that this includes everything from Union St to 3rd St between PPW and 8th Ave. This seems a fairly good reflection of the area. I feel safe around here I think its pretty spot on.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
You also included Syracuse in your "well known fact." Do you have the data to support that? I'm not a fan of Buffalo so there's no need to look that up, if you don't want to, but I am partial to my hometown of Syracuse. So yeah, I take offense when someone tells me that it's more dangerous than NYC. I live here- I used to visit the Bronx twice a month to visit an old boyfriend and his mother on Fordham Hill Oval - and I just don't see how your assertion is true.

And "ummmm, it is a well known fact" isn't a source.
sigh. Fine. You want your source.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

and Syracuse
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Im appalled that you never heard of Buffalo's terrible crime reputation. It's up there with Cleveland. Syracuse also has more crime than NYC.

You do know the Fordham Hill Ovals aren't that bad. The area is shot, but the Ovals are very safe.

Mod cut: rude

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2009 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: Rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City