Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 10:01 AM

193 posts, read 393,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLTRUCK View Post
The meeting yesterday focused mostly on the 6-2 shift becoming permanent. There was a show of hands. The majority showed hands in favor of the shift change. Some people spoke in favor and against. The majority spoke in favor.

The main concern seems to be "sleeping in" during the winter, for the dissenters. The others seem to think picking up their kids and traffic as the pro. Harry spoke about having another General meeting to discuss this again and was disappointed at the show of junior men who this change MOST affects. He wants to see more junior men and hear their opinions. The show of hands (assuming after the next general meeting) will grant leverage for the union board to take it into negotiations with the city.

More importantly Harry spoke about layoffs and cuts. He said that Doherty claimed their will be no layoffs, yet Harry does NOT BELIEVE him. And he should not in my opinion. Harry said that if they are going to layoff then we should expect to hear about it in June with the change of the fiscal year. He doesn't know how many and he does not know what will happen.

The truck cuts WILL HAPPEN. THEY WILL HAPPEN. He does not know how many and he does not know where. We have not been making our contract average for 2 years. Our contract is 10.7 and we are averaging 10. They have given us enough rope to hang ourselves.

On a more positive note. Harry says that 75% of the men citywide have been listening to him recently when he asked them to. He was happy with that. This is working and he wants it to continue. More and more.

Together we stand. Divided we fall. 831.

IT IS A 8 HOUR JOB. STAY OUT. SAFETY FIRST.

hOW DO WE FIND OUT WHEN THE UNION MEETING ARE? i HAVE NEVER SEEN OR HEARD ABOUT ONE COMING UP UNTIL AFTER THEY HAVE IT. cANANYONE GO TO THE MEETING'S?

Old 04-25-2009, 12:20 PM

300 posts, read 659,338 times
They also have a Hockey Team.. They did not enter a season during the winter because of all the junior guys on the team it would have been hard for them to show up for games.. But they are supposed to start a spring season...they play at the aviator..

Old 04-26-2009, 07:45 AM

192 posts, read 401,291 times
Default Union Meetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8 View Post
hOW DO WE FIND OUT WHEN THE UNION MEETING ARE? i HAVE NEVER SEEN OR HEARD ABOUT ONE COMING UP UNTIL AFTER THEY HAVE IT. cANANYONE GO TO THE MEETING'S?
The excuse over the years for the lack of General Meetings at the Union hall is the "size" of the Hall. If everyone came we wouldn't fit. I don't think we would have the problem of EVERYBODY coming down. It's somewhat narrow but pretty long to the back and we could squeeze in people along the sides.

I'm in favor for more general meetings and Harry said that he is considering having more of them. Right now the meetings are only for the shop stewards and is pretty strictly enforced. You probably don't hear about the meetings because your shop stoopid doesn't do his job.

There are shop steward meetings every month. Ask your steward when he has been to one. Most don't go. For this last one a flyer was handed out and was supposed to be posted on garage bulletin boards.

Most shop stewards keep their position because of this respect for seniority and for garage politics. These are certainly all the wrong reasons. If he is not doing his job and he doesn't deserve it then do something about it. Everybody wants things to be nicey nice but if you really believe in your issues at you garage and you believe we deserve what we have and that this job is NOT a joke......THEN VOTE HIM OUT.

At the last meeting a sanman got up and shouted out his delegate for telling him to just "do your job". Harry did not look happy. I've had lousy delegates before and I know personally guys who called Harry up and the delegate got torn.

STAY OUT. WORK SAFELY. IT'S AN 8 HOUR JOB.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:33 PM

176 posts, read 374,586 times
That .7 thats missing can easily be found next to many baskets in alot of our residential districts. I mean come on, we find bags of garbage, recycling, bulk everyday at certain baskets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLTRUCK View Post
The meeting yesterday focused mostly on the 6-2 shift becoming permanent. There was a show of hands. The majority showed hands in favor of the shift change. Some people spoke in favor and against. The majority spoke in favor.

The main concern seems to be "sleeping in" during the winter, for the dissenters. The others seem to think picking up their kids and traffic as the pro. Harry spoke about having another General meeting to discuss this again and was disappointed at the show of junior men who this change MOST affects. He wants to see more junior men and hear their opinions. The show of hands (assuming after the next general meeting) will grant leverage for the union board to take it into negotiations with the city.

More importantly Harry spoke about layoffs and cuts. He said that Doherty claimed their will be no layoffs, yet Harry does NOT BELIEVE him. And he should not in my opinion. Harry said that if they are going to layoff then we should expect to hear about it in June with the change of the fiscal year. He doesn't know how many and he does not know what will happen.

The truck cuts WILL HAPPEN. THEY WILL HAPPEN. He does not know how many and he does not know where. We have not been making our contract average for 2 years. Our contract is 10.7 and we are averaging 10. They have given us enough rope to hang ourselves.

On a more positive note. Harry says that 75% of the men citywide have been listening to him recently when he asked them to. He was happy with that. This is working and he wants it to continue. More and more.

Together we stand. Divided we fall. 831.

IT IS A 8 HOUR JOB. STAY OUT. SAFETY FIRST.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:49 PM

Default missing trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabz28ss View Post
That .7 thats missing can easily be found next to many baskets in alot of our residential districts. I mean come on, we find bags of garbage, recycling, bulk everyday at certain baskets.

That .7 has been next to baskets for decades. Our tonnage drop is due to foreclosures, recession, people moving outside the city, increased recycling, and possibly the increase in A.F.F. I know a few guys who lost crazy weight due to A.F.F. and also some deals with the garbage within the Housing Authority. I also know of a few sections that are going to get hit hard by more "cages" going to A.F.F. containers. The 10.7 target is for house to house collection crews. This all affects it. I've personally haven't noticed anything too drastic on my route. Typical winter to summer transition.

We'll see what happens.

STAY OUT IT'S AN 8 HOUR JOB. WORK SAFELY.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:39 PM

156 posts, read 327,237 times
In the city there is a drastic change... 13-14 ton routes have gone down to 8-10 tons routes or less... i do less weight in the city now then if i was in queens or bklyn.... And this is only because alot of people moved out of the city or lose there jobs... Alot of people dump because our routes are only a few blks long and with the less tonage its so easy... If we get less then 10.5 the foremen have to write a letter to the brough explaining why we didnt dump... i find that so funny... We told the foremen we are going to buy u a box of pens..

Old 04-27-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trag672 View Post
In the city there is a drastic change... 13-14 ton routes have gone down to 8-10 tons routes or less... i do less weight in the city now then if i was in queens or bklyn.... And this is only because alot of people moved out of the city or lose there jobs... Alot of people dump because our routes are only a few blks long and with the less tonage its so easy... If we get less then 10.5 the foremen have to write a letter to the brough explaining why we didnt dump... i find that so funny... We told the foremen we are going to buy u a box of pens..
My understanding is that Manhattan is the hardest hit also. This makes sense for all these reasons we're talking about. People have always talked about the Bronx holding the rest of the city but Manhattan is KEY. The Bronx helps out tremendously because they sometimes double the average and that makes up for two 5 ton routes. However Manhattan is key b/c they were consistently above average.

Every truck would break the target easily. Usually a few tons over.

I've heard about these "letters" the boro's are demanding. Dumps were supposed to be OPTIONAL. Now they want to pressure us to maintain. Nonsense. Time permitting. Bottom line.

Guys the LMC meetings are starting to take place and the city is gonna go for the throat with some of these districts that exposed themselves. Cuts like 14 trucks a week will easily start to rear their heads. Get ready.

WORK SAFELY. IT'S AN 8 HOUR JOB. STAY OUT.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:55 PM

156 posts, read 370,166 times
Mayor Bloomberg's hopes of avoiding city-worker layoffs are being jeopardized by the record-low number of employees quitting or retiring, The Post has learned.

MIKE'S BUDGET LOSING THE WAR OF ATTRITION - New York Post

Old 04-27-2009, 10:33 PM

335 posts, read 747,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic View Post
Mayor Bloomberg's hopes of avoiding city-worker layoffs are being jeopardized by the record-low number of employees quitting or retiring, The Post has learned.

MIKE'S BUDGET LOSING THE WAR OF ATTRITION - New York Post
Well trust me not in sanitation. If his goal is to maintain an certain headcount of san workers well he will shortly see his wish come true. He must be talking about the other uniformed services.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:28 AM

Default NY Post

I forgot to mention, Harry also let it be known at the last meeting that the NY Post was NOT IN OUR FAVOR. Avoid this paper for it's biased articles. BUY SOMETHING ELSE. BUY SOMETHING ELSE.

8 HOUR JOB. STAY OUT. WORK SAFELY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City