Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:36 AM

39 posts, read 118,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I suppose your kids look mixed, so the arguement about them thinking your a nanny is muted. I have seen your situation in some way shape or form in many circumstances. Remember, alot of the people in PS are well off, vaguely liberal, and may already have their one close "ethnic friend". Don't give up though, New York is way better than some other cities in this regard. You need to be a bit more outgoing to live in a hip urban family neighborhood as apposed to the suburbs. In other words, your going to have to "fit in".
Well in if that's the case, then I should find a neighborhood that's a better fit, because I left high school a long time ago. I don't need to have to do anything to "fit in" with people. and I have been outgoing. It's the people in this neighborhood that have blatantly ignored me when I'm trying to start a convo with them. Do I need to corner them in the park? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 06:46 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
I have to say, if you're just approaching people and starting up a conversation, that usually doesn't work in NYC. It might be better after people see you come to a playground, for example for a few weeks running. But expecting to have a chat with someone you don't know in any other context in NYC, that's not something we do here. We're cautious, with good reason.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I have to say, if you're just approaching people and starting up a conversation, that usually doesn't work in NYC. It might be better after people see you come to a playground, for example for a few weeks running. But expecting to have a chat with someone you don't know in any other context in NYC, that's not something we do here. We're cautious, with good reason.
that's fair enough. I guess I have to get used to people being so guarded here.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:06 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eight26 View Post
that's fair enough. I guess I have to get used to people being so guarded here.
Yeah that's definitely part of the equation here. But it could also very well be PS is not a good fit for you and that the people are snobby.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:06 AM

706 posts, read 3,764,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eight26 View Post
Well in if that's the case, then I should find a neighborhood that's a better fit, because I left high school a long time ago. I don't need to have to do anything to "fit in" with people. and I have been outgoing. It's the people in this neighborhood that have blatantly ignored me when I'm trying to start a convo with them. Do I need to corner them in the park? lol
The unfortunate thing is that it may very well be bit high schoolish. Sometimes it is like that - you have to make an impression on the "right" person or be accepted by the "leaders" to be accepted by others...*lol*

Instincts usually don't lie.
They probably ARE a bunch of dang snobs who ARE giving you the cold shoulder --race, age, whatever-- the main thing (likely) is that you're a newbie...because in time race, age those type barriers can be broken down with neighbors.

Eventually, you may be accepted,

but it'd likely require that in time

you become them!...*lol*

And in a couple of years, there you'll be, sitting with them...
snubbing your nose at the newcomer because she's from some foreign country or she's too fat or to thin, or maybe she's a young hottie and you're thinking your man might be checking her out.

I'm only teasing...but you know that's how women can be.

And sometimes, in time, that one that you couldn't stand ends up your BFF...*lol*

Often it does come down to "fitting in" and perhaps Park Slope is not the vibe and they're not the crew you're trying to fit into.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:43 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,527,415 times
Alot of Slopies moved to Maplewood NJ, where we lived for a few years and in general they tended to think they were smarter and better than those around them.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:42 PM

288 posts, read 1,191,654 times
Remember that Park Slope is the only neighborhood in New York City saddled with the sobriquet of "stroller moms." The location defines the word yuppie.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:46 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrres View Post
Remember that Park Slope is the only neighborhood in New York City saddled with the sobriquet of "stroller moms." The location defines the word yuppie.
And woe to you if you're in the path of said stroller, since mama will roll junior over your foot and give you a dirty look for being in the way of her Italian-designed jogging stroller with special-order fabric selection.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
And woe to you if you're in the path of said stroller, since mama will roll junior over your foot and give you a dirty look for being in the way of her Italian-designed jogging stroller with special-order fabric selection.
oh my you guys are cracking me up. Sadly, it seems this is true here. It stinks that we did not have any clue about Brooklyn/nyc neighborhoods before we moved here, except for what we could read about them. And Park Slope read a lot differently. I wish I had found this forum first!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:35 PM

706 posts, read 3,764,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
*rofl*

good one

and what imagery...

Last edited by DonnaReed; 03-29-2009 at 11:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City