Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:30 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,528,127 times

Advertisements

Ouch this is painful to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 11:21 PM

288 posts, read 1,191,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diner Safe Haven View Post
If you want to stay in the borough, the suggestion of Williamsburg is a good one.
As is Prospect Heights, although it's a little crunchy too, if a little more diverse. Maybe Clinton or Cobble also. Or Windsor Terrace.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:11 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,161,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
No you didn't p'd me off. I don't easily get p'd off, and I definitely don't get p'd off from anyone's post. I am not a writer, as you can see. I just have a blunt way of expressing myself in writing. I try not to offend anyone, but I am straight to the point.

I understand your post, I just wanted to make sure that I was understanding correctly. I agree. That is why I don't buy completely the nanny thing, or the interracial thing as an excuse for their behavior. Wealthier people speak and chat to Nannies frequently in Central Park and Riverside Park. White, Black, Asian and all types of people acknowledge familiar faces in the neighborhood all the time. Some Nannies may make more money than quite a few people. Some are college grads. This is criteria that some people have for hiring.

Some places are just not a good fit. If you have to try that hard, or extend yourself that much, maybe moving would be better.

You may have been better off in a more economically diverse area, where people are better educated, and more exposed to different types of people even in their own race. They were stereotyping you, and you didn't live up to the stereotype. Now that would have p'd me off. But someone writing about it doesn't.

That is why we moved back to Connecticut!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,845 times
Really sad to hear that type of experience in the Slope. Plenty of good people in Park Slope. I would give it a bit longer than 3 months though. If you still feel the same way after the summer than I would look at moving. However, you probably will have a hard time find a more accepting neighborhood. I know it has become much more yuppified in the past few years, but I'm still taken back by your experiences. Very unlike the neighborhood.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:11 AM

467 posts, read 1,866,758 times
I haven't read this thread as it's quite long, and I don't condone how people are treating you, but you definitely might be onto something with the whole young mother or looking like a nanny thing. Some (not all, not hating on anyone here) wealthy, married women look down their noses at women who seem to be single and a parent. I grew up in a very wealthy suburb of Boston and my mother was a single parent and could barely socialize with the other mothers because she wasn't like them. I don't think she blamed them per se, but she gave up socializing not even a year after we moved there. I think it just does have to do with the area.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:24 AM

In the town I live in (in MA) most of the parents are old enough to be, and look like, their children's grandparents. When I lived in Manhattan the vast majority of moms I knew were exactly my age, like we were on the same timetable--get married by 30, have your first kid by 35 before risk of Down's and infertility rises. You share many experiences when you're on the same schedule.

I wouldn't have known what to make of a 25 year old mother! Where are the 10 years of independence and supporting yourself? Where is the difficulty making the transition to motherhood after so many years of independence?

Old 04-04-2009, 10:13 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
In the town I live in (in MA) most of the parents are old enough to be, and look like, their children's grandparents. When I lived in Manhattan the vast majority of moms I knew were exactly my age, like we were on the same timetable--get married by 30, have your first kid by 35 before risk of Down's and infertility rises. You share many experiences when you're on the same schedule.

I wouldn't have known what to make of a 25 year old mother! Where are the 10 years of independence and supporting yourself? Where is the difficulty making the transition to motherhood after so many years of independence?
This statement seems to be very judgemental. What is it to you, or anyone else when a person of legal age decides to marry and have children? That is why there are legal minimum age requirements. Everyone's life experiences are different. There are no guarantees that if you marry at a certain age with x amount of years of independent living, that everything is going to work out fine.

I feel kind of sorry for women that feel insecure around younger women. Especially if they share the common bond of motherhood. Are people really that insecure, that they won't even bother to ask someone with a familiar face, if indeed that person is the child's mother? Especially if you are a mother and you can see that the child is well cared for, and the parent is showing the usual love and care that parents show for young children.

Most of my friends and I have friendships with other women of all ages. We have friends that are seniors, and it is not an aunt or mother type friendship, just genuine friendship. I am so happy that I have two seniors that are my good friends. One in her 60's happily married with 4 adult children, and another that is our mutual friend about 70 widowed with 2 adult children. I dine with them every so often and keep in regular touch with phone calls and emails. I will appreciate them even more now that I've read these post.

Last edited by DAS; 04-04-2009 at 10:30 AM..

Old 04-04-2009, 06:07 PM

39 posts, read 118,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
This statement seems to be very judgemental. What is it to you, or anyone else when a person of legal age decides to marry and have children? That is why there are legal minimum age requirements. Everyone's life experiences are different. There are no guarantees that if you marry at a certain age with x amount of years of independent living, that everything is going to work out fine.

I feel kind of sorry for women that feel insecure around younger women. Especially if they share the common bond of motherhood. Are people really that insecure, that they won't even bother to ask someone with a familiar face, if indeed that person is the child's mother? Especially if you are a mother and you can see that the child is well cared for, and the parent is showing the usual love and care that parents show for young children.

Most of my friends and I have friendships with other women of all ages. We have friends that are seniors, and it is not an aunt or mother type friendship, just genuine friendship. I am so happy that I have two seniors that are my good friends. One in her 60's happily married with 4 adult children, and another that is our mutual friend about 70 widowed with 2 adult children. I dine with them every so often and keep in regular touch with phone calls and emails. I will appreciate them even more now that I've read these post.
Thank you for that. I don't want to get off the subject, but I will just say this. There is no right way, or specific time-line people are supposed to follow for their life. The 20-something single lifestyle never ever appealed to me, and it still doesn't. My life is going about as I have planned it, and it's working out well for me. I'm sorry the previous poster can't be open to lifestyles that didn't go just as hers did. I try to be open-minded about other people I meet. If Park Slope if full of people like the previous poster, then I definitely need to get out!

now to get back on subject, what do people think of Fort Greene or Clinton Hill? My Husband seems to like DUMBO, but I don't know enough about that neighborhood yet.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:39 PM

Oh please you're lucky you're younger! Best of luck to you in your search and I'm sorry for hurting your feelings. I didn't mean to.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:05 AM

11 posts, read 46,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eight26 View Post
now to get back on subject, what do people think of Fort Greene or Clinton Hill? My Husband seems to like DUMBO, but I don't know enough about that neighborhood yet.

Fort Greene has gotten quite expensive, if you're buying, though of course the market these days isa bit low. Clinton Hill is a real mix, and coming up for the last few years. My impression of Dumbo is that it is EXTREMELY trendy, but that's a matter of taste, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City