Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 09:52 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,485 times

Advertisements

Hi all -- a quick question regarding a lease issue.

I signed a lease on a new apartment a couple of months ago with a couple of roommates. The landlord wanted to extend the lease term into the summer of 2010 so we signed a lease for a year and a few months. The lease specifies that it's for a term of 16 months; however, the dates that he wrote on the lease actually would mean the lease was for 17 months. (Basically, 16 months would be up at the end of May but the lease we signed says it's through the end of June.) Apparently, we all just overlooked this.

Legally speaking, what does this mean? Is the lease itself altogether invalid due to a mistake like this? Or is it still legally binding, with the caveat that we could arguably end the agreement in May or June?

I'm thinking that, since the landlord drew up the lease, we as the tenants might be able to interpret this discrepancy however it benefits us; i.e., if we want out earlier, we can say, well, the lease says it lasts 16 months, but if we wanted to stay, we could say, well, the lease says it ends on June 31. Is this accurate?

The landlord seems like a reasonable guy and runs a pretty informal business, so I don't anticipate this turning into an issue, but I'm just wondering where I stand before approaching him about it. In this rental market, I'm also thinking that I could find a better deal out there this summer, so if it were possible to break the lease on this basis, that might actually be appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 03:23 AM

106,706 posts, read 108,880,922 times
if you both agree on the correct date just have it changed.. typos on contracts usually arent an issue as long as you both agree.....

the correct terms are the terms that had you say okay lets do it.. the date on the contract merely confirms what was already agreed to..

its like if a store rings in 100.00 bucks in error for an item thats supposed to be 1,000.00 bucks because of a sloppy written sales receipt.

if they caught up with you , the balance would be do the store.. the deal was the price that you agreed to that made you do the deal... the sales slip is written after you already agreed to a deal so a typo has no effect on the deal that you made. you cant profit from someones typo error unless they gave you a wriiten quote in advance and that had the error because it would be that price that sparked the deal to happen...

Old 03-31-2009, 06:26 AM

283 posts, read 1,072,485 times
Right. The only way I anticipate it being a problem is that I would like to end the lease on the early end of the time range, while I think the landlord would like us to stay through the longer range. I think that the issue is, each party was genuinely agreeing to different terms in their minds. So I wonder, should push come to shove, which of us ultimately gets to assert our preferred terms.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:29 AM

106,706 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Impossible to say if there are 2 dates that are written and you guys dont agree.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City