Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:04 PM

706 posts, read 3,764,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiecupdrinking View Post
I haven't spent any time around there right after school, Andez, but it's a pretty good bet it's nicer when the kids are gone. From what I've heard, 7th Avenue in Park Slope also gets nuts when John Jay lets out, and nobody would dispute that's a pretty nice area.

As to the OP -- Dekalb and Tompkins is Bed-Stuy, no two ways about it. I wouldn't live there personally. Not very convenient to Manhattan, and will be especially tough to get home late at night, when you're relying on the famously-unreliable G train. It also could be a sketchy walk at night. I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers by implying it's some god-awful hellhole over there or anything, but it seems pretty rough to me and I wouldn't recommend it to someone unfamiliar with NYC. You're better off looking for an apartment share in a better neighborhood. What's your budget like?
Dkalb and Tompkins wouldn't get any recommendations from me either.

As far as the Golden Gloves and appreciating the kids starting fights with you...I can appreciate that you ain't scared or wouldn't show fear. But I would also say, be easy... not arrogant or overconfident in unfamiliar territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 09:09 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,125 times
Oh man Dekalb and Tompkins... isn't that like a block away from that street where there was 4 murders in 1 night in february?

Whenever I think of Dekalb, I think of Fort Greene. So sorry for bringing that up. :P

Old 04-09-2009, 09:34 PM

15 posts, read 33,767 times
ok, ok...maybe I'll look for a different area. I don't mind fighting and I definitely don't require lace curtain environments. but I'm coming to NYC to focus on acting, not boxing. So it would be nice to be somewhere that isn't going to be distracting like the way this area has been described.

It seems like Queens might be the best bet? Plus, some other areas in Brooklyn. I'll keep looking. I've got til June 1.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:50 PM

15 posts, read 33,767 times
Hey DonnaReed (one of my favorite actresses)

I know what you mean. everybody's got their home turfs and safety zones and when you get them in unfamiliar places, they gotta watch their back no matter where they're from. so i'm not overconfident or arrogant about it.

I'm just looking for a place where someone can be out of their home turf and still get along reasonably well without getting Mod cut: languagewith by people who don't want to see unfamiliar faces in their neighborhoods.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-10-2009 at 04:47 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 04-10-2009, 07:08 AM

283 posts, read 1,072,429 times
Keith, if that's your budget, you may want to look in Clinton Hill -- basically just 10-15 blocks west of where this place is. Basically, stay west of Classon or Franklin Avenues, along Myrtle, Dekalb, Willoughby, Lafayette. The further west you go, the better. You're still relying on the G train over there but it's more Pratt-centric, a little hipper and feels a lot safer to me. You could also look down near Fulton Street... there, you've got the C and the A, which is a much easier ride to Manhattan. You could find something in Greenpoint for your budget, too, or maybe South Slope/Greenwood Heights, which is a little further from the city but a safe neighborhood with a good amount of stuff to do. There are good deals for shares in all kinds of great neighborhoods, too, though $600-700 would be pushing it... if you could go to $800 it would drastically open up your options.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:10 AM

283 posts, read 1,072,429 times
Also, yeah, Queens may be a good bet if you're basically just looking for a place to lay your head. Astoria and Sunnyside are very convenient to Manhattan, very safe and cheaper than any comparably nice Brooklyn area.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 PM

14 posts, read 94,911 times
fort greene is the ghetto. there have been developers who have been developing buildings and charging sky high rents to lure unsuspecting people from out of state who are under the assumption that higher rents mean better neighborhoods. you could end up in a nice building surrounded on all sides by crack houses and drug dens. some of the difference are as dramatic as (1) nice block, (2) bad block, (3) nice block again. by all means make sure that the tenants are allowed to sublet. nyc housing laws are very strict, and the enforcement are sometimes brutal.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:29 AM

17 posts, read 131,941 times
You should check out the south bronx if you want cheap rent and easy access to manhattan. Rent is DUMB cheap. right in the price range you're asking for too. Plus you're right across the water from northern manhattan so the train-ride into midtown aint all that long. To be honest I dont even like bigging up this area because its one of NYC's best kept secrets and Im hoping to move there soon, but fortunately the area's reputation keeps people away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City