Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 01:50 PM

22 posts, read 105,486 times

Advertisements

I checked out a pad in Astoria and really dug the neighborhood, especially as it's my first time living in NYC. Unfortunately, it fell through, and I need to find something relatively soon.

I'm checking out a room for rent in a place on the corner of Morgan and Flushing. Having been nowhere in BK other than Williamsburg, what can I expect from this area in terms of safety, or lack thereof?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 02:18 PM

16 posts, read 42,211 times
you'll be totally fine in that area, it's not really "bushwick" as much as it is "east williamsburg".

lots of hipsters, there's a natural foods store a few blocks from your apartment, etc.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:53 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
That district has a lot of industrial buildings, low rise warehouses, and a few apt buildings and a lot of lofts. Very hipster-friendly, as iamserge mentioned, and a lot of cool bars and things like that in the area. A bit on the sketchy side, since there are housing projects a few blocks away, but for the most part the area would be full of students, young hipsters, artists, etc....

Old 04-09-2009, 03:16 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamserge View Post
you'll be totally fine in that area, it's not really "bushwick" as much as it is "east williamsburg".

lots of hipsters, there's a natural foods store a few blocks from your apartment, etc.
Morgan and Flushing is most definitely Bushwick.

There never really was an East Williamsburg until about 10 years ago when the Real Estate people decided they could jack up the prices if they could make Williamsburg bigger so they started using the term East Williamsburg to make Bushwick sound more acceptable.

But even then, the eastern edge of the newly minted "East Williamsburg" was/is Bushwick Avenue. Beyond that, going East on Flushing,you are definitely deep into Bushwick. Unless someone decided to expand Williamsburg even more in the last couple of years as the real estate fever was reaching it's peak.

Before we know it there will be no more Brooklyn at all! Williamsburg will be expanded all the way east to Nassau County and South to the Atlantic.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:25 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Ugly area, it's all industrial. It's not as residential or commercial as Astoria, so don't expect that. Hot, humid summer nights you might smell the creek and the garbage being unloaded from the trucks around the corner on Morgan Ave. Still some remnants of sketchy folks in the area but your close to the subway if you frequent the city.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:54 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Morgan and Flushing is most definitely Bushwick.

There never really was an East Williamsburg until about 10 years ago when the Real Estate people decided they could jack up the prices if they could make Williamsburg bigger so they started using the term East Williamsburg to make Bushwick sound more acceptable.

But even then, the eastern edge of the newly minted "East Williamsburg" was/is Bushwick Avenue. Beyond that, going East on Flushing,you are definitely deep into Bushwick. Unless someone decided to expand Williamsburg even more in the last couple of years as the real estate fever was reaching it's peak.

Before we know it there will be no more Brooklyn at all! Williamsburg will be expanded all the way east to Nassau County and South to the Atlantic.
He's not saying that it IS East Williamsburg, but rather that the area resembles Williamsburg more so than Bushwick.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:33 PM

674 posts, read 1,814,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_different View Post
I checked out a pad in Astoria and really dug the neighborhood, especially as it's my first time living in NYC. Unfortunately, it fell through, and I need to find something relatively soon.

I'm checking out a room for rent in a place on the corner of Morgan and Flushing. Having been nowhere in BK other than Williamsburg, what can I expect from this area in terms of safety, or lack thereof?

Thanks!

Lots of drug activity, lots of dominicans, lots of good food, 15-20 homicides a year, You should be fine though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City