Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:41 AM

11 posts, read 118,145 times

Advertisements

I've been watching Craigslist in preparation for my upcoming move to NYC, but I'm wondering if maybe it is misleading me about housing prices. I saw someone post here about how someone was "lucky" to find a studio on the Upper West Side for $1,800/mo. But on Craigslist I've been seeing plenty of 1 bedroom apartments there for between $1,600 and $1,800. I have read that Craigslist has some bait-and-switch scams on it, but is it that skewed? If Craigslist is skewed by scams, what is the real average price of a 1 BR on the UWS? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 08:50 AM

90 posts, read 423,261 times
In my experience with Craigslist, about 5% of posts are scams, 20% are inaccurate descriptions or unavailable apartments, and another 30% or so are exaggerations or misleading.

If you're seeing a lot of one-bedrooms for $1,600...my guess would be that they DO exist, but are tiny or are really studios or "junior" one-bedrooms. Or they're not really on the Upper West Side, but are at like 135th and Broadway. Or the broker, because he realizes he has a hot apartment, is making people pay a ridiculous broker's fee.

Anyway, 3/4 of that stuff gets sorted out when you call and just ask for some simple details about the apartment. Like "Does this one bedroom have a living room? Is there a door between the bedroom and the living room? Is the kitchen in the living room?" And if he answers, "The kitchen is not in the living room" be sure to ask "Is it in the bedroom?" If he says that the living room is 300 square feet, make sure you ask "Can you fit furniture in it? Is it 3 feet by 100 feet?"

Basically, realtors seem to push the envelope as far as they can without lying.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:55 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
The answer is somewhere in between. There are a lot of misleading ads on Craigslist. Maybe even as much as half. But there are also a lot of honest ads especially in the outer boroughs. Direct ads from landlords, and these are often where you find the best deals. The Manhattan rent market is very much set in stone for the most part so if something sounds too good to be true, 9 times out of 10 it usually is.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:02 AM

204 posts, read 813,465 times
Is there any online classifieds that you guys would say is more "accurate" of their postings? Something like NYTimes? Something people have to pay to post?

Old 04-13-2009, 02:45 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,888 times
There are many realtors who actually post their listings on Craigslist. These apartments are usually the ones that aren't moving as fast as they had expected, but it's a free and easy way to advertise so many realtors use it.

But I know from professional experience that many of the descriptions are exaggerated. Still, it's a place to look.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:49 PM

304 posts, read 1,304,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirlin6 View Post
Anyway, 3/4 of that stuff gets sorted out when you call and just ask for some simple details about the apartment. Like "Does this one bedroom have a living room? Is there a door between the bedroom and the living room? Is the kitchen in the living room?"
Or "Are there any internal non-closet doors-on-hinges at all"?
That at least excludes flimsy folding things that separate the alleged kitchen, so-called bedroom, and (possibly) bath from the supposed living room.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:28 PM

186 posts, read 427,643 times
I think it also depends on your expectations. You have to keep an open mind and be realistic. I've seen a few apartments in my price range that were much nicer in person than they seemed to be on Craigslist...but I've also seen the opposite. I guess if you carry out your search expecting the worst and as a complete cynic, you will probably have an easier time finding something good on CL because you will be able to sort through the crap and find a gem. Also by contacting the poster or property manager, you can ask questions and they will lead you to a place more suitable.

I've gotten a lot out of NYBits. The site lists numerous no-fee property managers that you can contact directly.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:06 PM

52 posts, read 233,952 times
Default It's Advertising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onalark View Post
I've been watching Craigslist in preparation for my upcoming move to NYC, but I'm wondering if maybe it is misleading me about housing prices. I saw someone post here about how someone was "lucky" to find a studio on the Upper West Side for $1,800/mo. But on Craigslist I've been seeing plenty of 1 bedroom apartments there for between $1,600 and $1,800. I have read that Craigslist has some bait-and-switch scams on it, but is it that skewed? If Craigslist is skewed by scams, what is the real average price of a 1 BR on the UWS? Thanks!
You have to note two things...Craigslist is advertising and "lucky" is an opinion not a fact.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:15 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
You will usually call regarding that apt, and they'll say "Oh it's rented, but let me show you THIS one!" (This one will be pricier). Classic bait and switch, and yes - if it sounds too good to be true, it is!

Also, do not ever pay for listings. I fell for that at the young ol age of 19.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:05 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
NY Times is generally pricy apts. I'd stick to craigslist, but take it with a grain of salt. And don't pay for the listings.

Keep in mind that the rental market is softer now than it once was. A friend looked a couple of years ago at 1-BRs in Manhattan around $2500 and said they were all pretty awful compared to where he was living. He looked again last month and saw more nice places for $2000 or $2200 than he'd seen in the $2500-$2700 range in 2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City