U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2007, 10:13 PM
 
24 posts, read 137,991 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

So why is it that every New Yorker I meet says to stay away? My girlfriend told me that people would immediately be able to tell that I'm not from New York or up north in general, she is from Far Rockaway Queens. I've been there, I liked it, NYC is my fav city, well I should say Manhattan, I had never been to any of the boroughs (did i spell that right? anyhoo) until recently. If I had that kind of money I'd move there. I have enough funds to be comfy for a while but would need a decent job while I finish school, but is it REALLY that easy to spot someone not from Ny or up north? I do have a southern drawl, as I'm from Kentucky and I'm a proud southerner, however I do not go outside in confederate flag-wear so I don't see how anyone would know. I just wonder why I've been told to stay away, I'd love to live there, maybe not for the rest of my life (I'm not a city gurl), but I would like the experience.
Anyone from the south that moved up there to NYC? Your experiences, good/bad...Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2007, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,272 posts, read 15,530,116 times
Reputation: 5169
I moved from VA to NJ 3 years ago. The only people still fighting "the war" are down south. People come to NY from all over the world. Being from the Southern U.S. won't be a problem. Half of the people you're going to meet in Manhattan are originally from Texas or Florida or Iowa anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2007, 02:26 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
2,806 posts, read 14,981,678 times
Reputation: 1071
I don't think many people in the Northeast actually care if you're from the South. You might get some good-natured ribbing about it every once in a while, but I don't think its going to be like a Northerner moving to the South where he would basically be ostracized by his neighbors.

What lammius said is true. A good number of the white people in Manhattan are not originally from the area. Tons of progressive types from all over the country, (especially the Midwest and South) along with a decent number of Europeans, flood into NYC so that they can live in their own little bubble/utopia.

Most of the people originally from the area live in the outer boroughs, Long Island, Westchester, or New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2007, 07:08 AM
 
7,079 posts, read 33,764,814 times
Reputation: 4005
I don't think this is a problem at all. People come from all over the world, much less the US, to live in NY. We are an equal-opportunity city. I don't understand your friend's logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2007, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,481,783 times
Reputation: 3826
This sounds right to me. I've never heard of any anti-Southern rhetoric in NYC; in fact, conversely, folks up North love, love the accent and you might get a tease or two, but it will be an affectionate tease.



Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I moved from VA to NJ 3 years ago. The only people still fighting "the war" are down south. People come to NY from all over the world. Being from the Southern U.S. won't be a problem. Half of the people you're going to meet in Manhattan are originally from Texas or Florida or Iowa anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2007, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,833 posts, read 21,526,775 times
Reputation: 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
So why is it that every New Yorker I meet says to stay away? My girlfriend told me that people would immediately be able to tell that I'm not from New York or up north in general, she is from Far Rockaway Queens. I've been there, I liked it, NYC is my fav city, well I should say Manhattan, I had never been to any of the boroughs (did i spell that right? anyhoo) until recently. If I had that kind of money I'd move there. I have enough funds to be comfy for a while but would need a decent job while I finish school, but is it REALLY that easy to spot someone not from Ny or up north? I do have a southern drawl, as I'm from Kentucky and I'm a proud southerner, however I do not go outside in confederate flag-wear so I don't see how anyone would know. I just wonder why I've been told to stay away, I'd love to live there, maybe not for the rest of my life (I'm not a city gurl), but I would like the experience.
Anyone from the south that moved up there to NYC? Your experiences, good/bad...Thanks.
New York is a big, big city with a lot of people, and people are very accepting here for the most part. Not to make it sound like we are self absorbed a-holes, but people in NYC are so busy going about their own lives they really won't care you are from the south. Vice versa, is a whole other case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2007, 01:34 PM
 
480 posts, read 2,611,694 times
Reputation: 167
Welcome to New York. Your place of origin won't matter. Unlike some parts of the country, it's 2007 here. Welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2007, 12:31 AM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,615,248 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I don't think many people in the Northeast actually care if you're from the South. You might get some good-natured ribbing about it every once in a while, but I don't think its going to be like a Northerner moving to the South where he would basically be ostracized by his neighbors.

What lammius said is true. A good number of the white people in Manhattan are not originally from the area. Tons of progressive types from all over the country, (especially the Midwest and South) along with a decent number of Europeans, flood into NYC so that they can live in their own little bubble/utopia.

Most of the people originally from the area live in the outer boroughs, Long Island, Westchester, or New Jersey.
Not true at all! LOL, we love New York in Texas. Most people down here have visited a time or two, anyway. New York culture is nothing new to us. Now, as far as getting picked on for the southern lifestyle, some might take it, but I don't. Plus, my mom is from NYC so it wasn't any kind of culture shock to me. I was pushing and shoving harder then the natives trying to make my way down the sidewalk in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2007, 02:35 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
2,806 posts, read 14,981,678 times
Reputation: 1071
Maybe it is not the case in Texas, but definitely is in the Southeast, especially areas with large numbers of recent transplants from NY/NJ. North Carolina and Georgia come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2007, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Mattituck
492 posts, read 578,842 times
Reputation: 99
Im from NY all my life, good Southern people dont bother me, they for the most part true Americans.
I currently live near the Kings Point merchant Marine acadmy.
Once in a wile some of them "good old boys" hit Bayside and Irish bar (Greens) in Manhasset and go nuts. (Many of them are woman BTW)
I play music alot in the 90's in the Bayside bars and never seen one of them bother anybody or start one fight.

One guy did get punched by a barmaid for asking for ass but he was actually saying "ICE".
You have to be careful with some words around here !!

-J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top