Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:19 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem Mayor View Post
let me let you and ALL white people in on a little secret. very few crimes are committed by blacks/latinos against white, due to fact the criminals already KNOW the perpertrator will be caught. don't you know nypd gears all their resources in nyc to make white people feel safe? is this news to you?
Was that a real secret? Or maybe your own personal bias?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 05:23 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
But in truth, the hardest area of NY is Newark, IMO.
but newark is jersey =[

Old 05-03-2009, 06:16 PM

75 posts, read 563,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Lets put it in perspective most of the bxs so called worst neighborhoods are not even that bad to begin with. Brooklyn has way more hoods than the bronx, u open up a newspaper and look at the nypd section, most of the crime comes out of brooklyn. Theres no comparison. The only part of the bronx thats bad is the south bronx. Theres alot more to the X than south bronx
Bro you dont know much about BK then, because that's not true at ALL.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:18 PM

75 posts, read 563,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Brownsville/ENY is hell on earth, I agree, but beyond that, Brooklyn is way better than BX. Places like Bed Stuy/Crown Heights/Flatbush have a much more healthy mix of people than the Bronx does. Nevermind the other 50% of the borough which is pretty much family-friendly suburbia.

By contrast, the entire west side of BX is blocks and blocks of old worn tenements and the east side is not too much better (Soundview anyone?). It's the definition of ghetto.

But in truth, the hardest area of NY is Newark, IMO.
Exactly. Newark is in Jersey though, man.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:22 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Please! Guys,girls, whatever.As a fellow Nyer, there is nothing more uncomfortable or embarrassing than watching Brooklyn and The Bronx slug it out for last place.I feel like I'm in a dysfunctional family fight.As a resident of The Bronx who lived in Brooklyn for 10 years, I can tell you that there are just about equal areas of both that I keep as far away from as possible. Let's just call it a draw.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-03-2009 at 06:35 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 07:49 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,125 times
It's pretty easy to avoid the bad neighborhoods in Brooklyn. It's not so easy to avoid the bad ones in The Bronx.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:45 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Lets put it in perspective most of the bxs so called worst neighborhoods are not even that bad to begin with. Brooklyn has way more hoods than the bronx, u open up a newspaper and look at the nypd section, most of the crime comes out of brooklyn. Theres no comparison. The only part of the bronx thats bad is the south bronx. Theres alot more to the X than south bronx
Wow man. I can't believe you wrote that.

Lets see...

High crime nabes

BK

-East NY
-Browsnville
-Bed Stuy
-Bushwick
-East Flatbush

then the so-so's

-Flatbush
-Crown Heights
-Coney Island

High crime nabes in BX:

-Mott Haven
-Hunts Point
-Melrose
-Morrisania
-Longwood
-Highbridge
-Concourse
-Morris Heights
-Tremont
-East Tremont
-West Farms
-University Heights
-Fordham
-Fordham-Bedford
-Soundview
-Wakefield

the so-so's

- Norwood
- Bedford Park
- Parkchester
- Allerton

Man it's not even close.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
I would say the Bronx is worse overall but Brooklyn's worst neighborhoods are worse than the Bronx's worst.
Really, I said this plenty of times. But East NY and Brownsville are the most hyped up neighborhoods on the planet. They are bad of course, but the crime rate was no different than anywhere in the south Bronx. I guess people see homicide #'s in the 20's and 30's for the precinct and automatically assume the worst. But in reality, per capita, those neighborhoods are not the worst in the city. There are many many people living in both nabes. If you give Mott Haven or Hunts Point the same precinct population as East NY, I'd guarantee it would be in the the 20's as well. They are both among the worst but really they don't deserve to be on a pedestal.

So can someone please give me concrete proof on why B-ville or ENY is any worst than Mott Haven or East Tremont?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:10 PM

Look at these Bronx vids...taken in different nabes. Mott Haven in the south, Fordham in the central , University Heights in the west, Wakefield in the far north east,

Mott Haven:

YouTube - Cypress Ave

Fordham:

YouTube - young money pt. 1

University Heights:

YouTube - RAY-HOV: IM HERE MUSIC VIDEO

Wakefield (Edenwald):

YouTube - edenwald day '07 a NORTHSIDE NIGTH

They are all rap videos, but this is because most "hood videos" end up with dudes rapping.

To finish it off.....just realize that about 70% of the Bronx is considered the hood...BK is lucky to have 30%. Even the decent nabes in the X are sorrounded by filth.

The BX murder rate was 8.5 in 2008 while BK was at 6.1.......

There is no comparison between the two, the Bronx is worse. The only way Brooklyn has a shot is if you only count the worst nabes in each borough and even then the worst of BK isn't any worse than the BX. Anyone who doubts this hasn't been in the BX.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:34 PM

674 posts, read 1,814,099 times
I think a more accurate topic would be North Brooklyn Vs Bronx because its clear more of the Bronx is ghetto than not and it obviously has some of the worse quality of life issues in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City