Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:59 PM

53 posts, read 267,949 times

Advertisements

Any advice here is appreciated. Food is extremely expensive around here, key foods, trader Joe´s, whole foods etc. How about less pricey day-to-day items (not necessarily organic) are they obtainable in NYC? (Even compared to Scandinavian prices NYC prices are expensive! Dairies like real butter (and for which reason? Beef is not that expensive). Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 10:18 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,397 times
What neighborhood do you live in? (If you don't mind us asking.)
You can try shopping at your local stores like: C Town, Associated etc for the less expensive items and then go to Whole Foods and stores like it for gourmet items or fresh veggies and fruits.

Unfortunately, NYC grocery shopping is also very expensive.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:29 PM

6 posts, read 90,978 times
I don't know any place cheaper than Trader Joe's. Every time I go there, no matter how many groceries I buy, it always comes to just $35. Places like C-Town or PathMark are only good if they have good stuff on sale. I can't really think of anything else. To be honest, lately I've been doing the majority of my shopping at dollar stores, then I get meat and dairy from Trader Joe's and veggies from markets.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:31 PM

297 posts, read 505,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishmomNYC View Post
Any advice here is appreciated. Food is extremely expensive around here, key foods, trader Joe´s, whole foods etc. How about less pricey day-to-day items (not necessarily organic) are they obtainable in NYC? (Even compared to Scandinavian prices NYC prices are expensive! Dairies like real butter (and for which reason? Beef is not that expensive). Thanks
They key to living in NYC is to not own a car, but know someone that does. Then you can give them a few bucks and have them drive you into Jersey once a month so you can load up at Sam's Club and Walmart in Secaucus.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 PM

17 posts, read 131,925 times
time to hit the bodega, my friend.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:38 PM

47 posts, read 217,088 times
Fairway is my fave grocery store, but I don't think it's any less expensive than anywhere else.

MET grocery stores are supposed to be the least expensive in Manhattan. You can try Chinatown too, if you're not afraid of food shopping there.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:49 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
BJ's would probably be the cheapest.There is one in Brooklyn,one in Queens and a couple in Westchester but practically in The Bronx.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:27 PM

29 posts, read 239,749 times
From my observations, the boroughs tend to have less expensive food prices. Here in Manhattan, it is all about finding things on sale and stocking up when said items are on sale.

They charge 6'7 bux per small box of cereal at my food market nearby.

We trek and go to different markets, getting whatever is on sale that week and planning meals according to sales.

It is about being creative, a bargain hunter, reading circulars (you can find all sale circulars online now) then you can make a shopping list based on sale items.

I DO NOT recommend Fresh Direct. THEY ARE EXPENSIVE! In addition to that, the deliverymen get snotty if you do not give them an astronomical tip.

It is a pain getting groceries in the city, but with a little time and effort you can find some good sales.

If you just go in and shop, yes you will be taken for a ride.

It also depends on what you eat, as you know. If you eat cheap, then that helps.

If you eat Filet Mignon three times per week then thats different.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:56 PM

341 posts, read 902,445 times
Try Big Apple Meat Market in.. guess where? Hell's Kitchen, 9th AV and 42nd St, right behind Port Authority. Load up on meats because they're the cheapest and best as far as quality and freshness goes. Everything's cheaper from breakfast cereals to spices and fresh cheap veggies next door.

I just came back from there today lugging 35 bucks worth of meats cross town. I'd get more but I have to take three buses or one bus and one train looking like a bag lady with spiked heels and make up. lol

Old 05-06-2009, 09:57 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,177 times
Default food

For cheap food...

Do China Town for veggies & shop sales & store things in the freezer.

Whole foods is DEF pricey...but so are many others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City