Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:12 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,974,342 times

Advertisements

As some of you might know, I teach in the High bridge/Morrisania section of the Bronx. I'm moving to Long Island, so I'm getting a car. I've been told which cars to avoid because they're susceptible to getting their parts stolen. Toyota is one of them. Someone told me Hyundai's parts are rarely stolen, so I'm thinking of getting that kind. The thing is, I don't know if a new car would be more susceptible to getting parts stolen. Would it be better to get a used Hyundai? Or does it not matter?

I hope no one takes offense to the question. I don't mean it in a bad way. I'm aware crime like this can happen anywhere in the city, I just don't know what's more common in this area, if anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 10:20 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,173,297 times
Would get a new Camry or Accord and $0-down lease it for 3 yrs

Don't know that rates of theft of new cars parked in semi-secure areas are notably high (almost unheard-of car theft in most decent cities/suburbs for past ?10-15 yrs)

Nearly all leases and insurance policies have lease-gap provisions; best outcome is car is stolen and a total loss (if ever recovered); insurance simply pays off lease and one just leases another new car

Need to value one's safety in driving a new, well-engineered car w/modern safety systems (and reliability to avoid being stranded roadside in an unsafe area)

Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 AM

204 posts, read 814,163 times
Unless someone has a business to offset the expenses of a lease, it is a terrible financial idea to lease.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:42 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,978,340 times
Honestly? Hondas are, I read, among the MOST vandalized and stolen of all the brands of car....

Old 05-17-2009, 11:13 AM

I'm looking into getting a Hyundai, not Honda.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:27 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,855,468 times
Do you have secure parking at your school, or will you have to leave the car on the street? If it's a lot, I'd say whatever you want to get will be fine. If it's street parking, I'd probably go for a reliable, yet ugly, older vehicle.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:38 AM

9,251 posts, read 24,120,985 times
Is there really that much of a problem near your school with cars being vandalized/broken into,etc during the day? I thought most of that stuff happened at night,in more desolate areas and to cars where stuff is left in the open on seats,floors,etc.
I also teach in what everyone calls a bad area of The South Bronx and a lot of my fellow teachers park their cars in the area during the day with no problems.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:59 AM

Cars being broken into and parts being stolen happens in the daytime by my school. I would be parking it on the street. I'm not that concerned with it being broken into, since I know not to put anything of any value out in the open in the car. It's the stolen car parts I'm weary of. I've asked teachers which cars are most susceptible, but I'd like to hear opinions of people who live in the area.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,778,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
As some of you might know, I teach in the High bridge/Morrisania section of the Bronx. I'm moving to Long Island, so I'm getting a car. I've been told which cars to avoid because they're susceptible to getting their parts stolen. Toyota is one of them. Someone told me Hyundai's parts are rarely stolen, so I'm thinking of getting that kind. The thing is, I don't know if a new car would be more susceptible to getting parts stolen. Would it be better to get a used Hyundai? Or does it not matter?

I hope no one takes offense to the question. I don't mean it in a bad way. I'm aware crime like this can happen anywhere in the city, I just don't know what's more common in this area, if anything.
If something happens to your car, your insurance will cover it.

Get the best car you can afford.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:40 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,978,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I'm looking into getting a Hyundai, not Honda.
I was responding to HSW, who suggested an Accura, which is really a Honda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: