Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 12:22 PM

18 posts, read 179,555 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I live in Gravesend Brooklyn, and my boyfriend lives in Newark. It's such a hassle to ever hang out, and really expensive if he wants to drive here ($18 Mod cut: language) Is there a cheaper route to get here? Also, he hates driving in Manhattan, so any way to avoid that? Idk, any advice would be awesome.. Taking the PATH and long subway ride is getting really annoying

Last edited by Viralmd; 06-02-2009 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 12:51 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0489x View Post
Hi,
I live in Gravesend Brooklyn, and my boyfriend lives in Newark. It's such a hassle to ever hang out, and really expensive if he wants to drive here ($18 Mod cut: language) Is there a cheaper route to get here? Also, he hates driving in Manhattan, so any way to avoid that? Idk, any advice would be awesome.. Taking the PATH and long subway ride is getting really annoying
Bayonne Bridge (no toll) to Staten Island, Verazzano Bridge to Brooklyn. No tool Eastbound on the Verazzano.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:52 PM

136 posts, read 722,979 times
Driving in Manhattan is the only way to do it without a toll going from NY to NJ. So the choices are either to drive through Manhattan or pay a toll.

If I was going from Brooklyn to Newark I'd take the Brooklyn Bridge into Mahattan, take Chambers Street to Hudson Street into the Holland Tunnel and then take 1/9 and the Pulaski Sykway into Newark.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:54 PM

136 posts, read 722,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Bayonne Bridge (no toll) to Staten Island, Verazzano Bridge to Brooklyn. No tool Eastbound on the Verazzano.
The Bayonne Bridge is absolutely NOT toll free travelling from New Jersey into New York.

Not sure where you got that crazy idea from.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:01 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thosepeskyfacts View Post
The Bayonne Bridge is absolutely NOT toll free travelling from New Jersey into New York.

Not sure where you got that crazy idea from.
Whoops, you're right, sorry. I guess there isn't a "free" way to get to NJ to Brooklyn.

As for going the other way, you can't do it without going through Manhattan.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:01 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
The way I've been doing it for years ( I went to college on LI ) is BQE to the Willy B (Williamsburg Br) then stay on Delancey to the end, go left 1 block over to Broome St and straight out the Holland Hole-In-the-Wall to the Skyway. No toll that way. 1 toll coming back to NY, the tunnel.

Now since you all are a thankin bout Gravesend, Westbound you could also take any of the other free bridges like the Brooklyn or Manhattan Br then mosey on over to the Holland Tunnel and you have escaped back to America. Stay in the left 2 lanes for the US 1&9 Skyway and you'll be in that big N town in a few minutes.

Coming back you have to at least pay one toll going from NJ to NY. You have a choice of Skyway to Holl Tunn to Manhattan or Brooklyn Br OR the other way, South on 1&9 from Newark (aka Nerk) to the Goethals Br, same toll as the Holland, cross SI on the SIE I-278, toll free over the Guintified GangPlank (Verazzano) and yer on da Belted Pkwy.

The NJ/NY Port Authority tolls are sometimes $6 instead of $8 but only with EZ Pass, certain times outside rush hour basically, however those other MTA tolls in NY are about to go UP (AGAIN!). There was a website I posted somewhere round here, but the Varrazano for instance will be $12 soon. Crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City