Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 8,085 times

Advertisements

Hi,
we are looking for a safe neighbourhood to live in with three kids (7, 5, 2) with very good public school, close to a park with a commute less than 45 minutes to Manhattan. We will be renting.
Anyone can give me some advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 03:34 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Are you looking to rent? Buy? What's your budget?

Old 04-11-2007, 04:59 PM

359 posts, read 2,593,303 times
you would think while New York is in the midst of the huge gentrification and its the safest major city in the USA, that it would have a better school system. If you want a really good school system you gotta go private in NYC. But since you mentioned you have a family i would suggest moving to somewhere near Battery Park or Gramercy. If you can't afford manhattan (which most families can't) i would suggest moving to somewhere in Western Queens. Places like Maspeth, Ridgewood, Broad Channel are more family oriented then others thats why they havn't been taken over by starbucks.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:01 PM

What was said above is NOT true. There ARE good public schools in NYC. I know because my best friend has her kids in one. There are sites (sorry, I don't have the URL) of the NYC school rankings. And Maspeth, Broad Channel and Ridgewood ARE in NYC....

Old 04-11-2007, 06:02 PM

359 posts, read 2,593,303 times
I know,

he or she asked for places in NYC. So I listen some.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:54 PM

3 posts, read 8,085 times
thank you for your answers.
I have looked on the web for the ranking of the public schools in Ridgewood and Maspeth.They don't seem so good.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:49 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Basically very few of the public schools in NYC are even half-way decent. Some of the high schools like Stuyvesant and Bronx Science are good, but thats because you have to apply to them and they reject all of the riff-raff.

If you want to live in NYC with kids you should send them to parochial school. Otherwise move out to the burbs where the public schools are decent.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:43 AM

That's really NOT TRUE. I was born in NYC and went to school here. I live in NYC, I work in NYC and my friends live in NYC. Not everyone considers parochial school acceptable. Not everyone is Catholic and there are GOOD PUBLIC SCHOOLS. If there aren't good public schools in a district you can look into private schools that have no religious affiliation.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:32 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
That's really NOT TRUE. I was born in NYC and went to school here. I live in NYC, I work in NYC and my friends live in NYC. Not everyone considers parochial school acceptable. Not everyone is Catholic and there are GOOD PUBLIC SCHOOLS. If there aren't good public schools in a district you can look into private schools that have no religious affiliation.
Private schools in NYC are very expensive and although the quality of many of the parochial schools is not what it once was, they fill a void for people who would otherwise be w/o options. A large percentage of the students in those NYC catholic schools are no longer catholic. Their religion is not the driving force in the decision to attend those schools. Private schools are completely out of reach for the average child in the city. Are all the public schools bad? No. But there is a huge void in the system and the public schools are supposed to be for everyone not just for kids who could afford private but choose public. The choice is not there for most NYC children.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:42 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
The OP did not state how much they would spend on rent or what type of neighborhoods they were considering. A sincere poster would state these things if they were really moving to the city. We are taking the time to respond here w/o knowing the essentials. I hope OP is enjoying this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: