Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 10:13 PM

142 posts, read 516,660 times

Advertisements

I know Riverdale has a very high concentration of jewish people. That said, is there some part of Riverdale that is more diversified i.e a good mix of Asian, white, etc?
I wouldn't want to live in some part of Riverdale whose businesses carter mostly to a specific ethnic. I also don't want to stand out of be the only person of my ethnicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 06:10 AM

2 posts, read 23,474 times
That's a good question. I don't know all of Riverdale, but I live in Spuyten Duvil, am not Jewish, and find it very comfortable. My building has a mix of ethnicities--White, Hispanic, African-American, Korean, Polish, West Indian, Indian, Jewish, Russian, etc. I think if you walk around a few neighborhoods you'll get a sense of where your comfort zone is.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:36 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Default I live in central/north

Riverdale at Broadway and 252 street, about a block before the hill that goes up into the exclusive Fieldston section. My area is a good example of diverse ethnicities. there are still lots and lots of irish natives and irish Americans but also many Albanians, Spanish, blacks.

farther north it resembles Woodlawn, lots of irish and italians

Old 06-24-2009, 01:01 PM

If you are asian, where would be the most convenient neighborhood in Riverdale

Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 PM

there's not a lot of Asian places other than Chinese/Japanese/thai restaurants. I live 10 blocks north of the # 1 train and the 9 bus stops across the street as well as the Westchester Bee line buses. I'm in an area that's convenient to transportation where it's not congested. There are a few Asians in my bldg as there are in many sections of the area

Old 06-24-2009, 01:39 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraider View Post
I know Riverdale has a very high concentration of jewish people. That said, is there some part of Riverdale that is more diversified i.e a good mix of Asian, white, etc?
I wouldn't want to live in some part of Riverdale whose businesses carter mostly to a specific ethnic. I also don't want to stand out of be the only person of my ethnicity.
One of the great things about New York City is that you can find almost any international community somewhere within the five boroughs. So if living in a neighborhood that might be "too Jewish" is a problem...why would you insist on Riverdale? Just go to some other part of the city!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:19 PM

Don't get me wrong. I just don't know much about Riverdale to narrow down a certain part. That's why I asked.
I already live in the Bronx and Riverdale is just west of my neighborhood. I don't have a problem with "too Jewish" per se but I wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood where there is no church, just only jewish synagogues, jewish schools, everything in store is kosher, that kind of thing.
I like diversity, but don't like to be the only non-jewish in. And when Xmas comes around, I don't want to be the only house with a Christmas tree in the whole neighborhood.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:48 PM

Default i can see your point

in a way. At one time i was considering living around Williamsbridge Rd around Pelham Pkwy. As a not very religious Jewish person, i would not feel comfortable living in an area that was heavily Italian. Nothing against Italians at all, but I just never felt at home on the E side of the Bronx no matter how nice the areas were, and believe me those areas are nice. I Always felt out of place in the eastern Bronx. Been to Maestros for parties, Villa Barone, house parties in Morris Park and throgs neck but I just never felt like I fit there

Johnson Avenue in Riverdale is heavily jewish but there are still churches and irish pubs in the area, even a japanese restaurant and italian restaurants on the streets. But I'd bet you'd feel comfortable in my section of Riverdale where it's more ethnically mixed

Old 06-24-2009, 07:00 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
You don't have to worry about that in Riverdale -- you will see Christmas lights and Menorahs side-by-side. And, that's how most people live in the area. There may be a higher percentage of Jewish residents than other areas of the city, but there are still chruches of just about every other faith. I don't think you'd have an issue fitting in at all in Riverdale, since the main determining factor is economic, and once a family meets that, they're pretty much accepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City