Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:34 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Its things like this that make me want to bash my head against the wall.......jk

1. The "new yorkness" of something doesnt depend on how close something is to manhattan. Is jersey city more new york than bensonhurst or coney island? People from the boroughs can walk into manhattan if they wanted too. It just depends on where you live in that borough. Either way new york is new york no matter where your at in the 5

2. Queens is the most diverse county in america. Has some of the busiest streets in the world. Host two international airports. A professional new york team. Has some of the most urban nabes and some of the most suburban. Has a population like 3x that of jersey city. I have a hard time thinking jc can stand up to that. The only borough JC could go agaisnt, and this is just a maybe, is staten island. Other than that, nah.

3. If i was to plop that person on jamaica ave or in the middle of queensbridge. I think that dude would definantly pick queens. lol
So you are saying the majority of Queens has more of an urban appearance than the majority of Jersey City? Clearly you haven't crossed the Hudson in a while. Drive on the West Side Highway and look out over the Hudson at JC...it's skyline is bigger than Philly's and Boston's. Where is the urbanity in Queens? Astoria and LIC, and then it tends to get pretty suburban after that. I'm talking about landscape and housing stock. Not how many stadiums or how diverse it is I can show you diversity in suburbs.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:36 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,400 times
I wouldn't compare JC to a boro of NYC, but I like it a lot, and I could live there.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:10 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
So you are saying the majority of Queens has more of an urban appearance than the majority of Jersey City? Clearly you haven't crossed the Hudson in a while. Drive on the West Side Highway and look out over the Hudson at JC...it's skyline is bigger than Philly's and Boston's. Where is the urbanity in Queens? Astoria and LIC, and then it tends to get pretty suburban after that. I'm talking about landscape and housing stock. Not how many stadiums or how diverse it is I can show you diversity in suburbs.
Of course jersey city is going to have a skyline. Its new jerseys second biggest city. Queens doesnt need a skyline , why would a county need skyscrapers. Manhattan is queens skyline
And i already mentioned urban areas in my post. Fact is, it doesnt really matter that JC has a skyline, queens is apart of nyc and jc is not

Old 06-25-2009, 01:12 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Of course jersey city is going to have a skyline. Its new jerseys second biggest city. Queens doesnt need a skyline , why would a county need skyscrapers. Manhattan is queens skyline
And i already mentioned urban areas in my post. Fact is, it doesnt really matter that JC has a skyline, queens is apart of nyc and jc is not
Why would a county need a skyline? You realize Manhattan is a county, right? New York County.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:20 PM

80 posts, read 219,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I like Jersey City, but don't like it when they want to act like it.s part of NYC. It may be just across the Hudson, but once you cross the hudson, you're in a different place.

Whether it's a hassle to go there or not depends on personal feelings. The Path sucks on the weekends for the most part IMO. If someone wanted me to meet them on a Sunday evening then yes I would conside it a hassle. The other part is not much of Jersey City is easily accesesd by the path and adds to how easily one can access NYC. Some spots have direct bus access to 42st bus terminal and some don't. Either way if you want to live in NYC then move to NYC. if you want to live close to NYC then Jersey City is fine, but don't fool yourself into thinking that you live in NY. As far as I'm concerned jersey is more like the rest of the countries major cities than it is like NYC.
I agree with you. I've lived in Jersey City most of my life. Jersey City is its own place, not some "Sixth Boro" of NYC. The ones they have are quite sufficient. Don't get me wrong, I love NYC, but Jersey City doesn't need to be attached to NY at the hip, so to speak.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:44 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Where is the urbanity in Queens? Astoria and LIC, and then it tends to get pretty suburban after that.
Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, East Elmhurst, Woodside, Jamaica, Flushing, Ridgewood, half of Forest Hills, Corona, Sunnyside...

and for dense, busy streets, try Jamaica Ave, Queens Blvd, Main St, Roosevelt Ave, Austin St, Northern Blvd, Steinway St, 82nd St, Broadway...

and others.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:16 PM

69 posts, read 336,025 times
I love it when people who can't afford to live in Manhattan, pretend they live in NYC.

Sorry when people come to New York, they visit the real thing, that is New York, NY. They can care less for the other 4 boros. 95% of Bronx is uncivilized, so is 70% of Brooklyn (everything east of Flatbush), 75% of Queens is third world immigrant crap outside of a few select gems like Forest Hills, Bayside etc. Heck, even 40% of Manhattan (everything above 100th and a big chunk of lower east side / Chinatown) is pure ghetto.

ROFL@Bensonhurt being real NYC, if I want to visit Chinatown, the real one is in Manhattan too thank you very much, or maybe Flushing. The entire city needs to be rejuvenated, go look at world class cities like Hong Kong, Tokyo and Paris sometimes. Bloomberg knows what is up and is doing his best to fix it, but there are too many fools living in the past trying to protect the "good old days". I even saw someone commenting on graffiti being "arts", shows you how out of touch they are, and I am glad Bloomberg doesn't get bogged on by them.

As for Jersey City:

It has more civilized areas than any boro of NYC save for Manhattan, and better commute + average income too. Unfortunately like NYC in general, it has terrible schools, so more or less a temporary stop for young professionals / families before they hit the real suburbs of NJ, and yes they are gorgeous, much better than anything NYC has to offer. Then again you have to compare Westchester / Long Island to Jersey's high end suburbs, so NYC vs say Alpine is not a fair comparison.

Last edited by hitmantb; 06-25-2009 at 02:45 PM..

Old 06-25-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantb View Post
I love it when people who can't afford to live in Manhattan, pretend they live in NYC.

Sorry when people come to New York, they visit the real thing, that is New York, NY. They can care less for the other 4 boros. 95% of Bronx is uncivilized, so is 70% of Brooklyn (everything east of Flatbush), 75% of Queens is third world immigrant crap outside of a few select gems like Forest Hills, Bayside etc. Heck, even 40% of Manhattan (everything above 100th and a big chunk of lower east side / chinatown) is pure ghetto.

ROFL@Bensonhurt being real NYC, if I want to visit Chinatown, the real one is in Manhattan too thank you very much. The entire city needs to be rejuvenated, go look at world class cities like Hong Kong, Tokyo and Paris sometimes . . .

As for Jersey City:

It has more civilized areas than any boro of NYC, and a better commute + per capita income too. Unfortunately like NYC in general, it has terrible schools, so more or less a temporary stop for young professionals / families before they hit the real suburbs of NJ, and yes they are gorgeous, much better than anything NYC has to offer.
I mostly agree with this post. It is much more expensive to live in the nice to decent parts of Jersey City than all of the Bronx, all of Queens (even nice parts), all of Staten Island, and most of Brooklyn (aside from P. Slope, Heights, Cobble Hill and the such).

Any NYer (especially from the outer boroughs!) that snubs their nose at Jersey City has no clue of the affluence and amount of money that has funneled into the city (Hoboken too, for that matter) in recent years.

Many of my neighbors in my gorgeous brownstone neighborhood are from NYC originally, and many of them tell me they like it better in JC Really cannot beat a 7 minute commute to WTC, or 15 minute commute to midtown.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:40 PM

69 posts, read 336,025 times
7 minute to WTC and 15 minute to Midtown is more real estate broker pipe dream than actual door to door commute time:P

But yes Jersey City / Hoboken have a better commute than areas in most boros, and you save on city income tax (but pay a lot more property tax, so a wash ultimately).

The average income on city-data tells a lot more about a boro's true strength, people need to look at it sometimes.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantb View Post
7 minute to WTC and 15 minute to Midtown is more real estate broker pipe dream than actual door to door commute time:P

But yes Jersey City / Hoboken have a better commute than areas in most boros, and you save on city income tax (but pay a lot more property tax, so a wash ultimately).

The average income on city-data tells a lot more about a boro's true strength, people need to look at it sometimes.
It's like a 4 minute ride on the Path to WTC. My house is a 3 minute walk to the closest Path station, and in the morning the trains run every couple of minutes. I can literally be at WTC in 7 minutes from my front door if I just catch a train when I get to the platform. I am spoiled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City