Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 45,150 times

Advertisements

Got a quote from Oz Moving - $1,016 for the same move. I'm leaning more towards them now, but wondering, is there any chance I'm going to get burned in terms of the move quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 09:07 AM

214 posts, read 1,005,413 times
Also... some of the unknown moving companies sometimes have better customer service and are more careful with your things. I used a more expensive moving company for my first move... something out of Citysearch's top 10 NYC movers... although they were OK, I wasn't entirely satisfied. Then for my next move, I just got the cheapest I could find (some random moving company out of Chinatown)... and the truck was scary at first (laden with graffiti) but was surprised that in the end, they were very careful, organized, and professional.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:07 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcw984 View Post
Hi all,

I'm planning a move for the end of the month and am trying to figure out if I am getting a horrible deal with Flatrate. I am moving from a 1BD on the 3rd floor of a 3-story walkup in Bushwick, Brooklyn to a 1BD in an elevator building in Long Island City.

I need to move:
-1 Queen-size Bed
-1 Bedside Table
-1 Computer Desk
-1 Computer Chair
-2 Standard-Size Dressers
-1 Medium-size wall mirror
-1 Plastic Storage Bin
-1 Couch (82" length)
-1 Glass-top Coffee Table
-46" LCD TV
-1 TV Stand
-2 Rugs (5'x8')
-1 Sofa Table
-1 Four-Person Table w/ 4 chairs
-2 Floor Lamps

For all these items, the Flatrate quote was $1,475. Is there anywhere else that can do this for less, and if so, where?

Thanks,
kcw984
I would shop around more. Sounds high.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:18 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,558 times
Default moving

I moved with Oz a bunch of times.
They are a good company.

You will pay slightly more than what they quote...about $200 because they will charge you for supplies (lamp box, TV box, painting box, tape, clothing boxes, ect).

Your move is a pretty big one...with a walk up: it's going to be a LOT of work & not be super cheap...to move a 1 bedroom 1 block from elevator building to elevator building costs about 1K (all including...even tip, which should be about 50 per man)....with just about any company I've heard of.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:28 PM

6 posts, read 21,193 times
Flat Rate is Fantastic! But, you were WAYYY overcharged. From what I'm guessing I'd pay about $500-$600. I used a mover named John at 718-477-5234. You can try him, he is great and prices are nowhere near that high! Good Luck and Here in NYC it is surely a hit and miss.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:30 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather_G. View Post
Flat Rate is Fantastic! But, you were WAYYY overcharged. From what I'm guessing I'd pay about $500-$600. I used a mover named John at 718-477-5234. You can try him, he is great and prices are nowhere near that high! Good Luck and Here in NYC it is surely a hit and miss.
Right, but you aren't in the moving business so wouldn't know what costs are involved for the moving company for that particular moving job. I know all customers try to price a job beforehand and have a fixed price in their mind.

Yes I know you figure from Bushwick to Long Island City is just a few miles. However a 3rd floor walk up is at the starting location. Since there are a few heavy pieces involved it's going to take time to load the truck.

It would be a $500-$600 if it was just a few pieces of furniture. I counted 18 pieces and I am sure there was a lot more that wasn't listed. Like you said though it's hit or miss, touch and go.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
This is a good point... from Flatrate's website:

Is the company licensed and insured? Ask for the mover’s Department of Transport (DOT) number. Cut-price movers will almost always lack permits, workers compensation, and licenses established by law to protect the consumer from fraud and liability. Licenses have to be purchased, approved and renewed. They ensure that you will be covered by basic insurance and that you will have a clear grievance process if a dispute arises.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:12 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This is a good point... from Flatrate's website:

Is the company licensed and insured? Ask for the mover’s Department of Transport (DOT) number. Cut-price movers will almost always lack permits, workers compensation, and licenses established by law to protect the consumer from fraud and liability. Licenses have to be purchased, approved and renewed. They ensure that you will be covered by basic insurance and that you will have a clear grievance process if a dispute arises.

Most of them who advertise on Craigslist aren't licensed and insured, but the customer shouldn't always assume that they are. If your building requires you to have an insured mover there is a way to work around around it, just play it off and say that your friend is helping them move. You can get ripped off by a licensed and insured moving company as well,just saying how it is.

For me(man with van) if they ask I tell them nope,I am not licensed and insured,sorry. Then again my moves are on the small side($200.00 and under).

Old 04-05-2014, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,192 times
Default FlatRate DOES NOT CARE

FlatRate Movers charged me $2250 to move 38 medium size boxes from NY to LA. That did not include the generous tips that I gave to the movers. Had put shipped items into their storage facility until I could find an apt. Stuff was damaged and one box of special items was missing. Denied box got lost as they inventoried everything and cameras are around so it could not have been stolen. BALONEY!! Biggest ripoff company. Claim paid bubkis. Person blamed me for not having better insurance. That I did not have movers pack my stuff, (charge me hundreds more), as if I am not capable of doing it myself. Also told me it goes by weight, not value. So why is VALUE listed on their claims form. THEY DID NOT DELIVER THE GOODS RESPONSIBLY and it cost me A LOT OF MONEY.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:41 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcw984 View Post
Got a quote from Oz Moving - $1,016 for the same move. I'm leaning more towards them now, but wondering, is there any chance I'm going to get burned in terms of the move quality?

Yes they moved my daughter and were horrible---- I used Big John's which was our cheapest quote and was very satisfied. The key is to manage your own move well by doing the packing and marking all the boxes you can as to room--- I drew a diagram of the new place numbered the rooms on the diagram and then put a corresponding number on each box.... it worked well. All they had to do was put all the 1's together and the 2's and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City