Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:38 AM

33 posts, read 110,093 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I tend to be very sensitive to other peoples feelings and don't want problems with my neighbor.

Long story short, they are nice working decent ladies...however, (it may be that the floors don't have proper insulation) it sounds like they walk with heels and stomp on the floor. It REALLY sounds like footsteps in MY house, that's how clear and sharp it is.

Well, last night, past 12 we couldn't sleep b/c right above us it sounded like they were moving some furniture and walking back and forth....

My husband rang the bell and asked them nicely to pls stop (ugh! how do u say 'stop making noise' nicely!?) and he said she didn't apologize but offered him a snicker/smile and said ok.

What would you have done assuming this isn't the first instance this noise is an issue (we never rang their bell before and don't have their #). Thanks for your thoughts and advice everyone, appreciate it.

Last edited by BeNicePlease; 07-21-2009 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 07:45 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
I probably wouldn't have complained if it's the very first time. If it occurred regularly, I'd have left a note, saying, "I'm sure you're not aware of this, but..."

Also, most leases have a requirement that 80% of the floor is covered in carpeting. You can talk to the landlord about that.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:50 AM

Thanks Viralmd - I feel bad that we rang their bell but it is most certainly not the first time we hear this. This is the first time we've mentioned it.

About a year ago the woman told me she can hear my kids voices on Sundays before 9am and she said she wanted to address it with me before going to the landlord. I apologized to her (I'm such a wuss) and told her I'll monitor it. But I've always told my children to use their quiet voices if they are up before 9am on the weekend. (I think she was being unreasonable)

Anyway, I think I opened up a can of worms with her. I hope not but she was so loud and it was almost 1 in the morning.

Thanks again.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:52 AM

I also forgot to mention that we don't have a lease, it's a 'month to month'. THanks

Old 07-21-2009, 07:57 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
If the noise is repetitive & is after 11PM you can alert your noisy neighbors to the fact directly.
I think the same goes for noises in the morning before 7AM.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:06 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,928,168 times
HA! At least your kids are not driving their power-wheels thru the house. People need to just show a little respect and common courtesy to thy neighbors. I constantly fuss with my husband & son to keep the floors quiet. It's an animal house above me, and I don't want the people downstairs to think I run a zoo either. With the people upstairs, I have yet (5 years or so) to complain. But when she floods my house I am up their in a flash!

Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 AM

Thanks Chava61 and ShayLove - 2 different perspectives from you guys. First it's the neighbors upstairs, than it's the new family that moved in across the street that are loud.

I hate going home these days and that's a crappy way to feel when you have kids at home. I'm just tired of my tiny apartment and the neighborhood. I feel desperate to move, it's unhealthy.

I can't wait until my husband gets this job we're waiting on so we can move. I think I'll cry I'll be so happy....

Old 07-21-2009, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 19,491 times
that's exactly why I'm moving as well. Neighbors can be very nice and sometimes they can be very evil.

One thing I learned by living next to my neighbors from hell is that, everyone isn't going to be as considerate as you are when it comes to noise, and other issues that come from living in an apartment or a house.

Moving will certainly take the load off good luck to you

Old 07-21-2009, 08:34 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
What inconsiderate neighbors you have, you will be well off when you get out of that situation. In the meantime, I would just keep things on as even a keel as you can, perhaps if you can sleep with some white noise in the form of a CD or a fan, that might make things a tad better. This may not work, however, since you have kids and want to hear them in the night.

As for your neighbor complaining that she heard kids before 9am, well that's a normal time for people to be up and going. It's not like they were up at 5am and waking up the world. That is a very unreasonable complaint, and very petty, whereas asking her to keep the noise down in the middle of the night when most of the world is trying to sleep is a legitimate concern. In the same situation, I would have done the same thing and rung the doorbell since it's not as if they were asleep with that noise level.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:37 AM

thanks bmwguydc- I appreciate your insight and it made me breathe easier. Thanks to RentingintheBronx as well, I can't wait to move. I just posted a question on the toll this is taking on my mental health capacity. I really need to change my perspective on this situation we're in b/c I can feel the beginnings of a mental breakdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City