Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 03:09 PM

291 posts, read 1,075,731 times

Advertisements

Hi all- my partner and I are moving to NY at the start of August, and found a 1-bd last month in Alphabet City (240 East 2nd St to be precise, so it appears we're sort of on the border).

The rent seemed awfully low for a 1-bd ($1650) and even though I love the apartment and the street seemed perfectly safe to me, I'm now a little worried since reading about the "wildings" in that neighborhood in recent months. We're coming from Chicago, I've lived in my share of shady neighborhoods, and although the area didn't set off any alarm bells for me when we were there, now I'm a little concerned because the sheer randomness of that kind of attack makes street smarts irrelevant.

Anyone have any insight into what exactly is going on around there? Any other thoughts or tips on the neighborhood would be greatly appreciated as well.

Last edited by Mojo Riley; 07-21-2009 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 05:17 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,932,431 times
I used to plant in that garden right next to it for school projects. I know a member of the community board. She says lots of the tenants from the "Ave" complain about too much bars in the area. Which will then fall into the category of lots of drunk folks making a ruckus, peeing in front of your building and other things. Crime is not that big of a deal. (Depends on what u define as high crime). The area is very diverse. My son goes to a great school in the area. Supermarket, and transportation is very convenient there. And my favorite hang out (Sing-Sing Karaoke) is there!

Old 07-21-2009, 05:56 PM

291 posts, read 1,075,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
I used to plant in that garden right next to it for school projects. I know a member of the community board. She says lots of the tenants from the "Ave" complain about too much bars in the area. Which will then fall into the category of lots of drunk folks making a ruckus, peeing in front of your building and other things. Crime is not that big of a deal. (Depends on what u define as high crime). The area is very diverse. My son goes to a great school in the area. Supermarket, and transportation is very convenient there. And my favorite hang out (Sing-Sing Karaoke) is there!
Thanks for the response! I love that garden next door, and it was one of the things that made me fall in love with the apartment. I figured as much regarding the drunks, but it was so convenient for my BF (who will be doing an LLM at NYU) that we figured it would be fine for a year. It's good to hear that you don't think crime is too much of a problem. I will definitely be checking out the Sing-Song!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City