Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:57 AM

267 posts, read 1,033,802 times

Advertisements

We received a letter from NYCHA with Ingersoll and Whitman on the list. I've heard lots of bad rap about public housing and don't have first hand experience. I walked around the neighborhood last week and try to answers my own questions.

This area is very convenient. Near subway and bus. Can't find a super market though. Ingersoll looks old and dated. It is not very clean outside. I stayed for 10 mins, the people I saw were all Blacks, no Hispanic and Asians. Is this what everyone called "the hood"?

From NYCHA web site,
Total Number of Apartments: 1826
Total Population: 2445
It is 1.33 people for each unit. Does that mean many apartments are vacant? Is this good or bad news?

We are an Asian family with two boys, 2 and 4 year-old. My husband and I need to work late shift some time. For a few nights a week, we have to come home around midnight. Is this place safe after dark?

Three brand new luxury hi-rises are next to the project. I guess those smart business men never put their billions in a bad neighborhood.

I searched this forum and find nothing about Ingersoll. Someone mention Whitman is bad, anyone knows anything and care to comment about Ingersoll? All helps are welcome.

Sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 11:59 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
fort greene has a bad rep, but its much calmer than it was in the 80s....its still the projects though so you do have to be careful.....if you're really thinking about living there, go there on a friday or saturday night and see if you can tolerate it.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-19-2009, 10:12 AM

Thanks SeventhFloor.

I searched Fort greene, and found this.
The Week in Crime: Elderly Woman Robbed - The Local - Fort-Greene Blog - NYTimes.com

I feel a little un-ease after reading. We are now living in Dyker high border Boro Park. It is a safe neighborhood. We should be really careful if we move there.

BTW, the only NYCHA building I have been in is 45 Allen Street in LES. It's a single building and is quite nice. My son's nanny is living there. She has a very nice 3-br apartment. The hall way and elevator are clean and free of odor. I wonder how is that compare to a average project in Brooklyn.

Any insight?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:25 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
You have a nanny and still qualify for NYCHA housing? How does that happen?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
You have a nanny and still qualify for NYCHA housing? How does that happen?
Nanny is just general term for child care provider. New York City has a childcare assistant program for low income working parents.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:56 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,202 times
I'd go with the Allen Street bldg. I used to live in that hood and from what I could tell, I think the projects there were safer than most, though I can't absolutely vouch for that. I lived in a coop nearby. The area has become very gentrified and is very near Chinatown, if you are Chinese or Asian (some Vietnamese places etc as well) or just like the cuisine. In fact, Chinatown has expanded eastward along East Broadway so the area has both many professionals as well as Asians.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:53 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
i've been in the allen street building before, a friend of mine lived there....its pretty safe

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-14-2009, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,315 times
Did you move in to the ingersolls/whitman or are you still waiting? I was just put on the waiting list and am wondering how long i have to wait now. With all these talk about the apt being renovated

Old 12-27-2009, 02:06 AM

8 posts, read 36,620 times
I also got a listing that has ingersoll/whitman on it, but there is alot going on with those developments, here is a link to an article about it http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/08/ny...ingersoll.html There are 2 reasons why I would apply, 1. because of the location 2. because i think once it is done with construction, which is projected for 2012, it would look really nice I really wanted atlantic terminal but there are no vacancies for it :What do rehabs mean exactly, I was thinking also about putting in for wise towers and see that they are referred to as wise rehabs. I have a 4 year old daughter so I am really trying to choose wisely, I also need to be in a district that has better schools. Does anyone have any insight on anything I mentioned here or can give me any advice???

Old 01-07-2010, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 6,117 times
Has the management called you yet to view an apartment? I have been called 3 times. Girl the first apartment they showed me was the worst! I was like you gotta be kidding me! It was so out dated it looked like it was straight out of 1978. The year I was born! I turned it down because 1 it was not the apt that the computer selected and 2 because it did not have a living room. It had a kitchen/Dinning room/livingroom that had to be the size of a closet. a small one at that! AND It had the nerve to have 2 bedrooms. Ofcourse they are small! But anyway I recently recived a letter notifying me that they hav a 3 room apt avalible! Hmmm. I am going to check it out but if it looks like what I saw last year they can just take me off the waitng list!

As for the schools the area has some good ones! there is a school right in the middle of the development called community roots. VERY GOOD SCHOOL! It is a charter school so you have to apply!

I also have a four year old daugter so I undestand where you are coming from. I thought the same as you good location but when I sa that damn apartment it pissed me off! I can just stay where I am and pay my high ass rent. My one bedroom Now is the size of a two bedroom! We will see I am so unsure!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemominbklyn View Post
I also got a listing that has ingersoll/whitman on it, but there is alot going on with those developments, here is a link to an article about it http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/08/ny...ingersoll.html There are 2 reasons why I would apply, 1. because of the location 2. because i think once it is done with construction, which is projected for 2012, it would look really nice I really wanted atlantic terminal but there are no vacancies for it :What do rehabs mean exactly, I was thinking also about putting in for wise towers and see that they are referred to as wise rehabs. I have a 4 year old daughter so I am really trying to choose wisely, I also need to be in a district that has better schools. Does anyone have any insight on anything I mentioned here or can give me any advice???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: