Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 03:34 PM

684 posts, read 1,820,543 times

Advertisements

Im still here...just so busy now not on as much as I used to be. But I do come back to check the updates to my thread about Related's new building MiMA over on 10th ave

Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 9,382 times
I been following this thread for a while, the whole process is long and nerve racking. Those of us went through a whole lot to get the apartment with current income guideline, but what about after, I mean none of us will stay low income forever, especially living in the city, if lets said that I got another job, got marry or buy a house or car, can we still live there? If anyone know about this please let me know.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:44 PM

What I was told is that your income cant exceed 170% of what your income basically was when you signed. But I agree with you..as much as I appreciate programs like this for giving people like us an opportunity. What happens when if you get offered a better job..now your homeless? Since I signed my lease i've been promoted..and im going for another promotion, now im worried about if im going to exceed my income limit. But what do you do? NOT try to better yourself? Thats ridiculous. So i've been searching for other places..so hopefully one day I can have a place to live without being concerned about what my income is

Old 05-10-2011, 05:25 PM

270 posts, read 748,832 times
Yeah totally insane..so let me get this right , just for easy #'s sake..
if you make $10K, you are only allowed to make a MAX of $27K?
100% of 10K is another $10K and 70% of 10K is $7K...hope that makes sense.

PS: can anyone tell me what the exact procedure is on the HOME VISIT, like what exactly do they say, do ..ask?? thanks!

Old 05-10-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulator View Post
Yeah totally insane..so let me get this right , just for easy #'s sake..
if you make $10K, you are only allowed to make a MAX of $27K?
100% of 10K is another $10K and 70% of 10K is $7K...hope that makes sense.

PS: can anyone tell me what the exact procedure is on the HOME VISIT, like what exactly do they say, do ..ask?? thanks!
To my knowledge..they basically just want to check the conditions of your apartment. In particular your closets..for those people that think they're gonna stuff everything in there ! LOL ! Cleanliness, upkeep is what they're looking for. They dont want any hoarders in a new building

Old 05-10-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
To my knowledge..they basically just want to check the conditions of your apartment. In particular your closets..for those people that think they're gonna stuff everything in there ! LOL ! Cleanliness, upkeep is what they're looking for. They don't want any hoarders in a new building
I got you, but do they sit down and ask 101 questions as well? Here's the deal, the address I have on file is my aunts apartment , but I'm not living there, I just needed an address to put for the sake of saying I am bunking with a relative. Long story short we are sub leasing the apartment we are in now, lease is not in our name. So that's why I had to put my aunts address.
The original person on the lease where I am now, wants to move back in and has been patiently waiting for us to move out, but it's been difficult. They have told us take our time ( been almost a year now!), but I know deep inside they're probably hoping we leave SOON.
My plan ( if I get to the home visit stage) is to bring some clothes over, toothbrushes and my 3yr old son's toys, so they can see we live in my aunts house. I'm just afraid they'll ask deeper questions that we'll freeze up on and they'll notice we don't really live there. Any advice or suggestions are welcome!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:13 PM

130 posts, read 236,033 times
glad to see everyones back! @emulator i havent gone through a home visit but i woul imagine it would be pretty brief. my sister went through one an her suggestions was to make the house neat an tidy. but at the same time make it look like if its hard to live there because the small is so cramped.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:56 AM

I've been told as well that if you are "boarding" in someones apartment, they don't go any further than the living room ( which is where we'll say we stay). We'll have an air mattress there, some clothing and stuff. We actually do rent a small Manhattan mini storage, so we could always say all our stuff is in there.
Well, so far everything is going great. We went to the interview Monday May 9th, and already Friday May 13th, they faxed the employment verification to my wife's job for them to fill out which they promptly returned. My employment is checked instantly thru "theworknumber.com". The landlord inquiry is going to be sent directly to my aunt so she could fill out instead of the actual landlord of the building. The gentleman was kind enough say he'd rather send it to my aunt since we are boarding in her apartment rather than bring any problems to her by sending it directly to the landlord. They also called me from creditview asking about how much I have in my checkings and saving as of today and how long I had the accounts.
Which actually brings me to another question that hopefully you guys could answer. Do they check your bank account history further than the 6 months than that of the statements you bring in? Or are they simply verifying that the 6 months statements you bring coincide with the banks records? I'm just worried that even AFTER we were qualified at the interview, that they would come up with some way to add more to our income which would blow us out of the water. We barely made the $39,600 maximum. We totaled $39,485 with all assets and income!
Thanks and sorry for the long post lol

Old 05-15-2011, 02:36 PM

I also happy to say that my aunt also received the landlord verification letter yesterday ( Saturday the 14th). She's going to promptly return it. So hopefully ,all the verifications they needed ie: Employment, Landlord, Banks and criminal records checks) all check out quickly and they can proceed further to the next step very soon.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:16 PM

I'm posting my story on 2 topics , because I usually have some questions that maybe someone from one of the threads might be able to answer, so here's a copy and paste of a post from the 440w42 thread i made:

Today, I received a call from my interviewer , saying that all verifications have been done and tomorrow , the managers will be in the office , for approval..so that they can move on to the next step which would be a home interview. I'm so surprised at how fast they have been working. I went to the interview ( i will say again!! lol) on Monday May 9th, and now 9 days later (Wednesday the 18th) they told me everything has been verified ( ie: employment,income, credit, landlord, criminal check, and banks).
He said after the Home interview, that we would then be called in for a FINAL CERTIFICATION interview, in which we would bring more pay stubs I guess so that they can re-calculate our income, to make sure we are still making the same ( which we are). I've been waiting so long for this opportunity, I'm really praying we get this apartment. After 4 lottery interviews in 2010, in which every one was denied on the spot, due to one thing or the other..I finally feel like this is the one.
On other news, I went to the NYCHA interview in DEC 2010 as well, and It wasn't until TODAY as well that we heard that we have been certified. After about 6 months of being in the dark as to whether or not the NYCHA apartment would finalize , we finally got word. They said that they still haven't sent our application to the development, but once they do, we'll either get a call or mail.

PS: On a side note I also have a question about 80/20 buildings.
After we are living in this bldg, how exactly does it work for the future? For example: If we stay under the maximum income range that was needed to be approved for the apartment, in this case $39,600 for a 2 bedroom and a rent of $819, would the RENT stay the same every year or will it continue to go up no matter what? Also if our income goes DOWN, does the rent go down? and if our income goes up, but not drastically does rent go up accordingly? Whats the policy if a person later on needs to be removed from the lease ( no plans of that , but just wondering), what do they do.
Its alot of questions but I would like to better understand how it all works, Thanks in advanced to anyone who takes time to read this and answer it

PSS: I am aware and have heard of some places ( like rp2) saying that you can't make more than 170% of your income, but what I'm trying to find out about is how the rent if affected in the future..is it always stabilized at the advertized amount ? I dont "think" riverplace II is an 80/20 bldg , but I DO KNOW the bldg I'm currently trying to get approved for is 80/20 the Main site for this bldg is www.gair2.com btw

Last edited by emulator; 05-18-2011 at 06:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery