Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:41 PM

187 posts, read 450,727 times

Advertisements

I wonder if anyone shares my frustration with the quality of the roadways in New York City. Not only the road quality is terrible by any standard but it's been getting worse over the past few years. I only drive on weekends but truly hate the endless potholes and bumps. Many streets in Manhattan are in desperate need of resurfacing. But even after they resurface the roads, the quality of that work in the city seems to be very poor, because the roads here degrade in quality quickly, unlike those in the suburbs. Every time you cross the city border by car from Westchester, NJ or Long Island, you "feel it".

I wrote to the NYC Department of Transportation and the Mayor's office several times. Predictably, I only got automated replies.

I wonder why the "greatest city in the world" cannot maintain its roads in decent shape (in addition to its subways and other forms of transportation) while spending millions in city, state and federal funds?

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-24-2009 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: No soliciting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 01:45 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I think in the winter months there is the excuse that snow helps cause the potholes in the roads.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:04 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i got a new bmw and with the low profile tire ooooh man are these roads bad. having driven all suv's these years i never realized how bad they are..

new jersey too is pretty bad i find

Old 09-24-2009, 02:25 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNYC View Post
Many streets in Manhattan are in desperate need of resurfacing. But even after they resurface the roads, the quality of that work in the city seems to be very poor, because the roads here degrade in quality quickly, unlike those in the suburbs. Every time you cross the city border by car from Westchester, NJ or Long Island, you "feel it".
Have you ever contemplated the difference in amount of traffic between Manhattan and a suburb?

Old 09-24-2009, 02:37 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
Manhattan roads are pretty bad but I think the Bronx and Brooklyn are at a tie for that. Sometimes when I drive in certain neighborhoods I am always bumping and bumping HARD. ahahah

Old 09-24-2009, 06:30 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
A few days back I was driving in Manhattan when a brand new red Ferrari with extra low profile tires stopped next to me at a red light. Then, he turned right and I could hear the screeching of his front spoiler over the pavement. I smiled to myself and that was perhaps the single time when I was happy that car wasn't mine'
As for the roads, they are a shame as many other infrastructure parts in NY. A fried that just returned from Afghanistan told me that roads in Kabul are in better shape
I always ask myself what the extra expensive car owners do with their $250,000 cars in Manhattan...

Old 09-26-2009, 04:50 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Actually back in the late 1970's the roads in NYC where literally 100 times worse. So bad you couldn't speed anywhere because it was one pothole after another. People back then would come to NJ and the regular roads here where like a different country to them.

Nowadays I actually find the roads of lower Manhattan in better shape than the nearby roads of NJ, maybe since NJ is reconstructing a bit of its highways, but even the LIE pavement has been in decent shape lately. It seems to be a cyclical thing.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:29 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Sometimes I commute through eastern Queens on Hempstead Ave to get home on Long Island. The road is terrible in Queens, but smooths out so much once you hit Nassau county.

At least they finally paved the Grand Central parkway. It took them long enough! Now they can say it's smoother than it is on Long Island, lol. I doubt it will stay that nice for that long though.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:28 AM

187 posts, read 450,727 times
Why don't we, the concerned citizens, spend 1 minute and drop a line to the Commissioner of NYC Department of Transportation to let her know about the poor state of the roads in our neighborhoods:

Message to the Commissioner: Department of Transportation

If 1 or 2 people complain, they don't care. But if many people complain maybe someone will notice and realize that something needs to be done.

Feel free to call your local borough DOT commissioner as well:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/con...t/assist.shtml

Old 09-26-2009, 11:38 AM

508 posts, read 2,119,888 times
It's the way NYC paves their roads or fixes the potholes. When a pothole happens, they don't repave the entire section, they simply fill in the pothole, and they do it over and over again. Add in the harsh winters and the heavy traffic and it becomes pothole city.

Driving in NYC, you either get the tickets or the potholes, or both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City