Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:29 AM

139 posts, read 568,787 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where i can locate the rules,regulations and laws pertaining to installing a fence around my property? The height of the fence in the front,side and rear of property?How close to the property line can it be installed?
Is anyone here aware of these regulations or where to locate them.Any help would be appreciated.Thankyou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 07:37 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
Somewhere in this list is what you're looking for:

Search Results: fences

Old 10-31-2009, 08:17 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnoteddie View Post
Does anyone know where i can locate the rules,regulations and laws pertaining to installing a fence around my property? The height of the fence in the front,side and rear of property?How close to the property line can it be installed?
Is anyone here aware of these regulations or where to locate them.Any help would be appreciated.Thankyou.
must be of non combustible material and cannot exceed 6'-0" in height....you can install it on the lot line.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-31-2009, 08:28 AM

Thanks viralmd. I have and had been searching that site.The only regs i can find pertain to building construction.Heights of fencing securing a work site,retaining walls,etc. I got a headache after an hour.lol
I can't seem to locate anything regarding an existing home,and fence regs around that home.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:22 AM

Thanks7th floor. I am pretty sure you can't put up 6ft fence in the front and sides of a residential property though.On the back and sides past the house to the rear is allowed to be 6ft i believe but i need to know,not just believe.Where did you get your info?
I was wondering what fencing would be combustible? Wood,vinyl and chain link are not i'm assuming.Thanks for responding.I am hoping there is a fence installer who can add their knowledge here.
The links that viralmd provided are proving futile still.I am thankful for all input though.Thanks again.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks7th floor. I am pretty sure you can't put up 6ft fence in the front and sides of a residential property though.On the back and sides past the house to the rear is allowed to be 6ft i believe but i need to know,not just believe.Where did you get your info?
I was wondering what fencing would be combustible? Wood,vinyl and chain link are not i'm assuming.Thanks for responding.I am hoping there is a fence installer who can add their knowledge here.
The links that viralmd provided are proving futile still.I am thankful for all input though.Thanks again.
i work for a building code consulting firm. the front to be honest im not sure, but sides and rear defintely 6 ft. wood is a no-no. chain link is good

Old 10-31-2009, 10:40 AM

Seventhfloor, I am not doubting your knowledge or experience.However knowing we both live on the rock,....why is there miles of stockade(wood)up and down the peninsula?Why do they sell wood fencing in all fencing suppliers including the big box stores?
With my knowledge of construction,combustible refers to not storing gas,kerosene,propane.You are allowed to have wood cabinets in a wood framed home with wood floors and have wood decks,etc all around your home.Why do you say wood fencing is a nono?Is this a new regulation for new construction?Thanks

Old 10-31-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Seventhfloor, I am not doubting your knowledge or experience.However knowing we both live on the rock,....why is there miles of stockade(wood)up and down the peninsula?Why do they sell wood fencing in all fencing suppliers including the big box stores?
With my knowledge of construction,combustible refers to not storing gas,kerosene,propane.You are allowed to have wood cabinets in a wood framed home with wood floors and have wood decks,etc all around your home.Why do you say wood fencing is a nono?Is this a new regulation for new construction?Thanks
the wood fencing u see up on peoples lot lines was either installed without a permit or installed prior to 1968 building code. combustible fencing is not allowed becuse the thinking behind it is if there is a fire it can easily jump to the next property. millwork (cabinetry, etc) is fine, its contained within the home. and you're allowed to have a wood deck but the sides of the deck have to be at least 3 feet from the lot line for the same reason that you cant have a wood lot line fence

Old 10-31-2009, 12:12 PM

1968? As a beach channel graduate i installed fencing in the summers of 74,75,76.Breezy,neponsit,belle harbor,rock park/beach,arverne,far rock,all over queens,brooklynn,even staten island.There was even a reg. that the good side of the chain link or wood fences faced the neighboring prop.Are you sure this is not a new construction code? Property values are enhanced by wood or vinyl fencing and chain link is considered not so nice.Would you please provide a link to these regs.? You are saying that this is the regs. for one and two family homes? Please reference something that i can read.So your saying a million miles of fencing in nyc is illegal? Why can the product be sold in nyc? Kerosene heaters are illegal to use or sell in nyc.No kerosene heater is sold in the 5 boros.Please explain why an illegal product is sold inside nyc? Pvc pipe is illegal above 3 stories or more than a 3 family home.It is legal to sell because there are many applications that don't fit that criteria.I am pretty sure no one is installing wood fence inside their house?Please help because i am getting a little peeved at such a ridiculous reg.Pvc and vinyl fence is just as "combustible" as wood fencing and twice as dangerous.The fumes will kill you much faster than wood.Thanks

Old 10-31-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
1968? As a beach channel graduate i installed fencing in the summers of 74,75,76.Breezy,neponsit,belle harbor,rock park/beach,arverne,far rock,all over queens,brooklynn,even staten island.There was even a reg. that the good side of the chain link or wood fences faced the neighboring prop.Are you sure this is not a new construction code? Property values are enhanced by wood or vinyl fencing and chain link is considered not so nice.Would you please provide a link to these regs.? You are saying that this is the regs. for one and two family homes? Please reference something that i can read.So your saying a million miles of fencing in nyc is illegal? Why can the product be sold in nyc? Kerosene heaters are illegal to use or sell in nyc.No kerosene heater is sold in the 5 boros.Please explain why an illegal product is sold inside nyc? Pvc pipe is illegal above 3 stories or more than a 3 family home.It is legal to sell because there are many applications that don't fit that criteria.I am pretty sure no one is installing wood fence inside their house?Please help because i am getting a little peeved at such a ridiculous reg.Pvc and vinyl fence is just as "combustible" as wood fencing and twice as dangerous.The fumes will kill you much faster than wood.Thanks

Department of Buildings

when u installed those fences, did u got to DOB and get a permit?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: