Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 07:14 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,505 times

Advertisements

Your numbers look good, but 2k - 2.5k is a lot to spend. You can live 10 minutes outside of the city in Astoria, Queens and have a big modern 1 bedroom for $1600. The outer boros are every bit as urban as Manhattan. In fact I'd argue in many cases they are more urban, gritty, crowded, busy etc than Manhattan. For example Main Street in Flushing is busier and more hectic than Canal Street on average. That's the real Chinatown of NYC. Also, expect to be worked hard in NYC. You definitely aren't gonna have time or energy to do a second job. It's pretty consistent amongst every industry and white collar job here - you will be working long hours if you want to live in NYC. Look at Yorkville in the UES. It's a good balance between being in Manhattan, price and convenience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:27 PM

8 posts, read 16,663 times
Hello everyone. Sorry for the delay. I really should sign up for email notifications. Thankfully there is no rush here, it's just been a busy winter month. Thank you all for the replies. Your neighborhood/price recommendations and other truths about how hard I'll be worked are all great things for me to learn right now.

I understand that I won't have the time for a second job. In fact, assuming I make the move alone and single, I think if I did have any free time I'd prefer to spend some of it volunteering instead of working another job. Just a way to get involved in a community and give my time to others. What sorts of organizations might be good for that for a 24 year old guy?

I completely believe that a place like Astoria would still provide an excellent urban feel. Like many other people I am mesmerized by Manhattan and would like to start out living there if I could afford it, even if it were only for a couple years until I was ready for something else. That is something I'll have to decide as I visit more and the move approaches. Speaking of which I plan to be out there in the March time frame, so I'd like to gather a list of things to check out by then.

Just a reminder, I am starting my information gathering very early here. I don't intend to start truly job and apartment hunting until maybe next fall. But I have had this goal for some time now, and I figured it wasn't too soon to start educating myself.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:37 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,870 times
$2000 in Manhattan is unrealistic unless you get a roomate. Astoria is a good starting point for you, see how it works out for you and then make the transition into Manhattan, just a few minutes away. Also, check out Greenpoint in North Brooklyn, another nice area that has been revitalized with many nice restaurants and more affordable apartments.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:14 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
$2000 in Manhattan is unrealistic unless you get a roomate. Astoria is a good starting point for you, see how it works out for you and then make the transition into Manhattan, just a few minutes away. Also, check out Greenpoint in North Brooklyn, another nice area that has been revitalized with many nice restaurants and more affordable apartments.
No, it's not. There are plenty of studios on the UES, UWS, and Murray Hill areas under $2k. Also in Hell's Kitchen.

The posters on this board are really lacking knowledge about the lower end of the Manhattan rental market- where most of the post-college professionals live. For a little under $1,500, I had a beautiful sunny studio in the East 70's with two huge windows overlooking a park. 3rd floor in a walk-up. Tons of closet space (2 walk-ins and a linen closet). Updated bathroom with full sized tub and a little window. Kitchen was small, but functional, and off a 5' hallway, so not in the living area.

Oh, and electric/ utilities were included, so my only bill was cable.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
No, it's not. There are plenty of studios on the UES, UWS, and Murray Hill areas under $2k. Also in Hell's Kitchen.

The posters on this board are really lacking knowledge about the lower end of the Manhattan rental market- where most of the post-college professionals live. For a little under $1,500, I had a beautiful sunny studio in the East 70's with two huge windows overlooking a park. 3rd floor in a walk-up. Tons of closet space (2 walk-ins and a linen closet). Updated bathroom with full sized tub and a little window. Kitchen was small, but functional, and off a 5' hallway, so not in the living area.

Oh, and electric/ utilities were included, so my only bill was cable.
That really is fantastic, how long ago was that? Should I prefer buildings controlled by a company over individual supers? I imagine there is a fair share of shady people to deal with no matter which you choose, as it is in any city. When the time came, would it be best for me to go to the city for a week or so and explore on foot until I find a place? I'm not sure how much time I'd need, of course picking a place over the internet would be a mistake.

I also wonder if I'll have difficulties finding job opportunities willing to fly me out there. I understand it is common practice to not have to pay out of pocket for exorbitant costs incurred by interviewing, the question is will they instantly pass on me when they see my current location.

I will be in New York in a few weeks, and would love to get any recommendations prior to then for buildings or newpapers to check out for listings. This trip is not primarily for finding housing or anything (I'm still a long way from that), but I would like to get a better feel for things.

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2010, 03:09 PM

82 posts, read 315,699 times
Quote:
I'd like to live in Manhattan as I really like the very urban lifestyle, to be around people and commotion all the time,
Have you tried? Or you only think that way? Be careful what you pray for, you may get it. You will have to take on a 12 months lease and no way of jumping the boat. I'm currently renting in Manhattan and I hate it.

Quote:
Right now, I'm hoping I could find a primary job that would pay at least $75-80k, and I think I'd try to get a second job for evenings/weekends as well for another $15-20k.
First, it's very low to survive in Manhattan, second, why do you think any company will allow you to moonshining? It's typically right there in your work contract.

Quote:
I'd be looking for one bedroom/studio apartments to live in by myself in the $2000-$2500/month range
Other people experience may be different, but according to my research you get only more or less normal studio in clean building with a doorman in decent area for that much money. That's theoretically. Practically, nobody will rent you an apartment, unless you can prove to their satisfaction that you are able to pay for it, and it means good credit history and stable job paying at least 3 times the rent. I was surprised how finiky Manhattan landlords are. It was easier to get mortgage in CA, than rent an apartment here.

Finally, your numbers don't add up. After you subtract from your salary rent, taxes, transportation, and food, you will be in a negative territory.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:13 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4ever View Post
It was easier to get mortgage in CA, than rent an apartment here.
Hence why the housing market is what it is in cali

Old 02-07-2010, 06:24 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,868 times
You can get something under $2000 for a studio or 1 br in Manhattan, but its not going to be in a luxury building. A friend of mine was renting in a studio was $3250 a month. Luckily for her, her company was paying for it, otherwise she would not have been able to afford it. Another friend had a studio on Mott st for $1650 a month, it was really a hole in the wall, but the location was great.

I think as long as you don't mind a walkup and are not looking for a luxury building, you will find something for under $2000 a month.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4ever View Post
Have you tried? Or you only think that way? Be careful what you pray for, you may get it. You will have to take on a 12 months lease and no way of jumping the boat. I'm currently renting in Manhattan and I hate it.

First, it's very low to survive in Manhattan, second, why do you think any company will allow you to moonshining? It's typically right there in your work contract.

Other people experience may be different, but according to my research you get only more or less normal studio in clean building with a doorman in decent area for that much money. That's theoretically. Practically, nobody will rent you an apartment, unless you can prove to their satisfaction that you are able to pay for it, and it means good credit history and stable job paying at least 3 times the rent. I was surprised how finiky Manhattan landlords are. It was easier to get mortgage in CA, than rent an apartment here.

Finally, your numbers don't add up. After you subtract from your salary rent, taxes, transportation, and food, you will be in a negative territory.
I have not lived in a city anywhere near the size of New York, but I have lived directly in urban environments where it's noisy, busy, and I only use public transportation, and have loved it. It's an environment I'm prepared to enter into. Could you go into a little more detail about what you hate about it? What were your expectations going into it versus what actually happened?

Well my salary figures ($75-80k) are the lowest I think could work. Obviously $90k+ would be preferable, but I don't know what's realistic. I'm not familiar with "moonshining" in that context, does it just mean working for another company? I wouldn't anticipate the second job to be in the same field as the first, but as others have already pointed out, I probably won't have time for a second job anyway.

I have excellent credit, and I would definitely plan to find work and have proof of it before applying for apartments. I'm sure it wouldn't be easy though. That's another reason I'm trying to learn as much as possible many months in advance of even beginning this process.

Let's look at my numbers some more, in a worst case scenario: $75k salary, let's say 50% of that goes to taxes, health insurance, and 401k contribution, that leaves $3125 take home a month. Rent $2k-2.5k. Food...is $500/month reasonable? How about subway? More than $100/month? At this point we're getting pretty close, but if I stayed at the lower end of that rent range, it seems possible. Also, what kind of taxes should I expect overall? About 40%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post
You can get something under $2000 for a studio or 1 br in Manhattan, but its not going to be in a luxury building. A friend of mine was renting in a studio was $3250 a month. Luckily for her, her company was paying for it, otherwise she would not have been able to afford it. Another friend had a studio on Mott st for $1650 a month, it was really a hole in the wall, but the location was great.

I think as long as you don't mind a walkup and are not looking for a luxury building, you will find something for under $2000 a month.
Thanks. While I'm not expecting a luxury apartment by any means, I'm trying to avoid a hole in the wall, as well. I feel coming to NY alone, it would only degrade my experience and lead to me being unhappy. My home at least has to be a place that I'm happy to come back to at the end of the day.

I appreciate all the advice. It is only through information gathering like this that I will ever be able to do this. If any of my estimates or desires are unrealistic, I'd rather alter them early on than abandon this plan entirely because of it.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:41 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Use this paycheck calculator: PaycheckCity.com | Paycheck Calculator

And be sure to tick the box that asks about New York City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City