Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:25 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
From 2002-2005, I rented apartments in Williamsburg/Grnpt--then sold some property in the areas. People from wealthy suburbs are just the type of kids/fresh outta college types that are moving to Williamsburg-Greenpoint! These locations are ideal, due to the straight shot & super short commute to Manhattan. What "shi**y" areas are you referring to? I would tell her that Jackson Heights is probably not what she's looking for--new to the city, fresh out of college. It is a very pretty 'hood, but a hike to the city, compared to other Brooklyn and Queens waterfront hoods.
The ****ty area nearby I am talking about is Bushwick.

And Williamsburg is much more gritty looking then other areas in other cities. To people outside NYC it looks like the ghetto. It was once a poor White neighborhood. Now real estate people rip people off for apartments struggling families used to live in.

I think if you must live Brooklyn Park Slope is a better looking area. But personally I think Queens is nicer. Astoria for the more citylike but there are almost suburban parts of Queens, not really the suburbs but close as things are more spread out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 02:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,893 times
Default jackson heights is not safe.

jackson heights is not safe. To figure out whether an area is safe or not is not difficult, narrow down a couple of areas first by price. then, take subway during rush hour and get off there, you will see what kinda people live there. You already know what kinda neighborhood you want to be in.

Last edited by newyorker9898; 09-03-2009 at 03:00 AM..

Old 09-03-2009, 05:36 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
If you are interested in Queens, I would look at Astoria, Rego Park or Forest Hills.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:50 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Since the thread is over 2 years old, I think the OP has found a place to live.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:15 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceme25 View Post
my budget its about 950 month but i will be sharing with a friend most likely so im looking for a 2 bedroom at around 1500. I want a short ride into midtown...i know ill be getting hoe around 7-8ish so i dont want any sketchy neighborhoods. i plan to be very close to a bus that could take me to where i can hop on a train into the port authority. give me the names of cities and neighborhoods within these cities so i can narrow my search please.
Mod cut: not necessary

The Port Authority is a BUS terminal, and has NO commuter train service.

There is "subway" service beneath it, but that is incidental to the terminal itself. Subway service from all parts of Manhattan and the outer-boroughs can be found.

Commuter train service into Manhattan from New Jersey comes into Penn Station (which is in midtown on the west side).

Commuter train service into Manhattan from Long Island also comes into Penn Station.

Commuter train service into Manhattan from parts north of the city, including Westchester county and Connecticut comes into Grand Central Station (which is midtown on the east side); and is a relatively short walk from Port Authority.

If you are seeking to maintain an upper-middle class lifestyle, then a $950.00 budget will not be adequate, even with a roommate. You may need to re-think and adjust accordingly.

BTW, does "urban" mean black in your vocabulary?

FYI, the entire city is "urban", and those areas that are suburban-like are not within a short commute (though one would ask you to define "short").

For you? Hoboken, NJ is probably a best bet. It has a very short commute, by bus, into Port Authority, is very safe with all the things a recent grad would need.

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-03-2009 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: Not necessary.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:12 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker9898 View Post
jackson heights is not safe.
I completely disagree. And I also question your intentions; as Viral pointed out, this thread is 2 years old.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:19 PM

23 posts, read 48,444 times
historic jackson heights in queens. woodside, queens.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:00 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker9898 View Post
jackson heights is not safe. To figure out whether an area is safe or not is not difficult, narrow down a couple of areas first by price. then, take subway during rush hour and get off there, you will see what kinda people live there. You already know what kinda neighborhood you want to be in.
Jackson Heights is safe, thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: