Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 05:54 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Victor, why do you always sound angry in your posts?

If being a LL is so miserable why do you do it?

You seem like you might be a cool dude, but always sound so tense? Are you an Aries? LOL!
Not angry Marilyn. It's just that I am going against the grain here and I have to try extra hard to make my point heard since the majority of the people in NY are very liberal minded and closed minded in the sense that they don't understand what goes on, on the other side of the fence. I've been on both sides of the fence so I know what goes on. Though I was born and raised in the Bronx, I am a very conservative person because of the crap I see in the "hood" and I believe that many of the "ills" NY has to offer is because the "anything goes" liberal mentality that slowly strips away any old school moral and respect we should have had growing up. They take "this is a free country" to literally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 6,626 times
Angry Black List Tenants

I really think there should be a blackball list on tenants. My dad left me his house. I rented it out to my sons friends mother. I had no clue what so ever that she was a total lunitic to put it nicely. She was only there 2 weeks when I began my eviction process. She had not lived up to any of her agreements what so ever. When I first moved out I locked her out of the basement just for the night. Told her I would be back the next day to finish getting my stuff and then she could have the basement. Garage was not included. She had her 15 year old son break into my basement that night. They were in the garage and put scratches on my 2005 Harley Sportster. She even admitted to having her son break in. She had no access to the garage as that was mine and I locked her out, or so I thought. She had her son break into my garage 3 times until they finally destroyed my garage door. I call the cops and had a report made. I would drive by to keep an eye on my property when one day I noticed my one attic window was busted. I walked around the house only to find every single window was busted. These aren't cheap windows; thermal pane windows. The day we had to be in court for the eviction, she didn't show. Instead sent a fax the day before saying she had a heart attack and requested an adjournment. The judge handed me the paper to read and then bring it back up to him. I told him how the night before she was seen being dropped off with a bunch of fast food bags, laughing and have a grand old time. We also told him to reread those papers as the hospital paper only said "Chest pains" and was dated February 19th when we were in court March 4th. It said nothing to the effect of a heart attack what so ever. The judge thought the paper was from the night before. I showed him all my proof as to why I wanted her evicted. I even had police reports. I requested immediate eviction. I would like to know what immediate is in their eyes when it has taken almost 3 more weeks before being able to get her out. Anyway, I won my case. The day the windows were all busted out I had the cops there and good thing I did as I found they were trying to break into my garage and the officer so noted it in his report as well. I went back there to fix the doorknob and to try to reinforce the door so they couldn't break in there for sure. We couldn't even get the door opened. So, we did a walk around the outside of the house when her daughter must of heard us talking and looked out the window. I waved to her and she turned and walked away without waving back. We finished our walk around the outside and left. As we were sitting in the car we could see her daughter looking out the kitchen window watching us leave. Next thing we knew cops were called and they were saying we were in the house. She supposedly is trying to press charges of tresspassing on my maintenance guy and my self. According to a lawyer nothing can be done even though she has her daughter saying we were in the house. We'll wait and see what happens. So, now I heard she has the house baricaided and I'm going to have to break into my own house tomorrow to get in. Only good thing about that is I'll have a Sheriff Deputy with me. We'll both get to see what damages there are and take pictures. I then have her arrested for deliberate vandelism. Also, CPS wants to see the house. She may now even lose her kids. CPS was at the house last night looking for a run-a-boy that she was harboring. She refused them entrance. I think she knows that if CPS sees all the damages what will happen. Well, I am inviting them in the house to see. From what I understand, I'm lucky I even have a home left. Only reason any tenant would be against the blacklist is because they are no better then her.The pictures I've attached are minor compared to what I was told I would find once I get in there. I've attached only one picture of my attic windows just to make my point.
Attached Thumbnails
New York Tenant Blacklist (All 5 Boroughs)-100_0664.jpg   New York Tenant Blacklist (All 5 Boroughs)-100_0668.jpg   New York Tenant Blacklist (All 5 Boroughs)-16.jpg   New York Tenant Blacklist (All 5 Boroughs)-14.jpg  

Old 09-29-2011, 09:47 AM

4 posts, read 6,626 times
Why do people have to act like they belong in the jumgle instead of humanly? What I found once I got into my house was satanic. All rooms and walls were destroyed except for one room; which had only one large hole and one small one. They plugged all the drains and left the water running. Insurance estimated damages $50,000. And I have no right being angry? So it's ok for tenants to act like wild animals? The cops, they're a joke, did absolutely nothing to her. The police are a joke. The day is coming when no one will listen to the police; whom will need help more then the citizens.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:49 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I agree. The same thing can be said of employers who blacklist an ex-employee in the same way.

The landlord can be sued for such things, because you don't know the true background behind every story or if someone has changed or not.

Wrong on so many levels.
Yes..A person might have had some trouble that was beyond their control. It reminds me of the bad credit thread in the Work and employment forum.

To prevent someone from having a home and getting a job is nuts. If there was an extenuating circumstance that was different (Ex..meth lab in the house, arson or something nuts...) then maybe as it would be a danger to others.

Sincere folks who put in effort to change their lives deserve at least one more chance. The landlords on this forum are going to have a field day with my response but no man is invincible.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:57 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Gosh,

Since it is so terrifying owning and renting out property, I think people should stop trying to make extra money by renting out their houses!
Sometimes you might find a tenant whom you hate and who hates you equally.

So lets end the system of renting out propery because some landlords are so horribly put upon. The poor souls need to be protected from themselves so that their good will is not trampled on by unkind tenants who don't understand how hard it is to inherit property!

Old 10-02-2011, 01:14 AM

546 posts, read 1,177,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Yes..A person might have had some trouble that was beyond their control. It reminds me of the bad credit thread in the Work and employment forum.

To prevent someone from having a home and getting a job is nuts. If there was an extenuating circumstance that was different (Ex..meth lab in the house, arson or something nuts...) then maybe as it would be a danger to others.

Sincere folks who put in effort to change their lives deserve at least one more chance. The landlords on this forum are going to have a field day with my response but no man is invincible.
I definitely agree with you. I think that everyone should be able to have a job and a home, even if they did things that would make them get on a "tenant blacklist". However I unforunately do not see any of this happening before humanity goes through a complete transformation of consciousness first which I hope will come soon. It tells you we have an unhealthy society on so many levels if we deny people jobs and housing. We expect people to live on the street before we do.

Before this change in everything happens, why couldn't they just allow it so if you're on this "tenant blacklist" and you apply, you instead of being denied you are put on this program where you pay a mark-up rate or something. Sorta like an insurance, or you pay a higher rate if your credit is bad. The mark-up in payment would represent assurance or money that if you do something like trash the apartment, withhold your rent, or commit a crime there the LL would be able to recoup it. I know that sounds mean but it's better you be offered a place to live and pay a "higher rate" for being a "high risk" tenant than being denied living at all so it is fairer in some sense. You stop being a high risk tenant after your record is expunged. That would be a good way until a more better way comes up that changes the way we think and live forever.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:17 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
I think this is a great idea. It astounds me how many people think that they do not have to pay rent because they are having financial problems. Imagine if employers did the same thing. They need to be made accountable. Where can I find this list? I plan to become a landlord in 2013.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:14 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Gosh,

Since it is so terrifying owning and renting out property, I think people should stop trying to make extra money by renting out their houses!

So lets end the system of renting out propery because some landlords are so horribly put upon. The poor souls need to be protected from themselves so that their good will is not trampled on by unkind tenants who don't understand how hard it is to inherit property!
The problem is not landlords renting apt.'s to make money, it is the issue of laws that protect tenants from eviction.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:23 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Gosh,

It is not terrifying to own property. I did not inherit my property from anyone. I worked for it. What is wrong with renting out your home to make a profit? The bottom line is people need to be accountable. The landlord does not need to know about the tenants personal woes. Pay the rent or leave.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:42 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
I completely agree with a "Blacklist for Tenants" --- however, there would also have to be a "Blacklist for Landlords". You know the type, they're salivating at the mouth on rent day but when you need a repair of have a problem, they're nowhere to be found. Or, if they "fix" something, it's usually a half-arsed patch job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City